Princess First timers....

bucky0926

I am Bonnie and my DH is Ira.  We are snowbirds in Delray Beach for half the year and the other half we live in Queens, NY.  We are fist time cruisers on Princess (usually Royal Caribbean) and I have questions.  We are cruising on the Majestic.

Someone earlier stated you can choose your dining in the following 3 ways, traditional (same time, table, etc), my time, or pick a reservation time each day.  I just downloaded the app and all I see are traditional and pick a time.  I do not see my time dining.  Is it because they don't have any more slots for that type of dining or am I doing something wrong?

I haven't opted for a package yet but what are casual meals?  I'm not a big drinker maybe one or two per day so not really sure I want to spend the money for the plus package.  After gratuities are paid, it is $43.00 more/person/day.  Thinking about it.

What evenings are the more dressy evenings and how many are there on a 14 day cruise?  Do they serve lobster once or twice on the cruise (hubby question)? How does the loyalty program work for Princess and where can I find the grid?  How can I find out how much the drinks are that we usually get (as this will help determine if we get the plus package or not)? When do we check in to get port arrival times and where do we do it? Are we allowed to bring on bottles of wine and if so how many? Are there any on board activities that I should be made aware of that need to be reserved before we board the ship? Is there a pool that has a cover and is usually a little more sedate? Do I get more loyalty points for a mini suite?  How can I get accrue more points? 

Will probably have more questions (sorry) but I have no idea how Princess works.  Closest I've ever come to Princess was in Alaska when my Holland cruise tour was over booked and they had us stay at the Princess property in Denali (which was gorgeous)...

2 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

I am Bonnie and my DH is Ira.  We are snowbirds in Delray Beach for half the year and the other half we live in Queens, NY.  We are fist time cruisers on Princess (usually Royal Caribbean) and I have questions.  We are cruising on the Majestic.

Someone earlier stated you can choose your dining in the following 3 ways, traditional (same time, table, etc), my time, or pick a reservation time each day.  I just downloaded the app and all I see are traditional and pick a time.  I do not see my time dining.  Is it because they don't have any more slots for that type of dining or am I doing something wrong?

I haven't opted for a package yet but what are casual meals?  I'm not a big drinker maybe one or two per day so not really sure I want to spend the money for the plus package.  After gratuities are paid, it is $43.00 more/person/day.  Thinking about it.

What evenings are the more dressy evenings and how many are there on a 14 day cruise?  Do they serve lobster once or twice on the cruise (hubby question)? How does the loyalty program work for Princess and where can I find the grid?  How can I find out how much the drinks are that we usually get (as this will help determine if we get the plus package or not)? When do we check in to get port arrival times and where do we do it? Are we allowed to bring on bottles of wine and if so how many? Are there any on board activities that I should be made aware of that need to be reserved before we board the ship? Is there a pool that has a cover and is usually a little more sedate? Do I get more loyalty points for a mini suite?  How can I get accrue more points? 

Will probably have more questions (sorry) but I have no idea how Princess works.  Closest I've ever come to Princess was in Alaska when my Holland cruise tour was over booked and they had us stay at the Princess property in Denali (which was gorgeous)...

Welcome to Princess. Most of your answers are on your booking or here. I can answer a few now for you.

Mini suites have no special perks unless you book a higher category mini then you get Reserved dining and a few other extras. We always book minis for the added space.

The plus package works for us and hubby doesn't drink, I do but only a few a day and some day not at all. I like it because it includes my specialty coffees and tea as well as bottled water. Ship water is fine but I have found since I switched to bottles on with the package less swollen feet. Also like unlimited Wi-Fi and the crew appreciation which I always pre pay anyway.

We have taken two bottles of wine onboard when boarding without a charge (in carry on) but if you take it to the dinning room you pay a corkage fee.

Loyalty levels and perks are in FAQ on your booking they have four tiers right now. We finally made Elite and they put out this double points or something for sailing/booking between certain dates so this tier isn't all the special assume this is something they may change maybe add another like when we became platinum and they added ruby. So loyalty levels aren't really all that important on Princess to some folks.

Dining I booked each day and time last cruise have Reserved dining this next trip so haven't bothered with the site except for specialty dinning reservations. Sorry no help with this question.

We lock up our phones so don't use the app and did everything on their web page.

Well just answered what our experience is for some questions. Others will jump in, this site can be very helpful.

• Thanks 2

There are three options for dining, but you can only see the two  options for reservations when you look at the app. Traditional or making reservations one night at a time. Walk in seating is available in another dining room onboard for those who don’t have a reservation.

The Plus package includes wi-fi as well as gratuities which total $41 per day. That leaves $19 for beverages, about $16 per day when you factor in the 18% service charge on beverages. A glass of wine will be at least $10 and up with $15 being pretty typical. Coffee about $5, soft drinks $3, beer about $8.  If you get water, cappuccino, soft drinks or a second glass of wine, you would be ahead. The waived charge for shipping of medallions, Ocean Now delivery, desserts, exercise classes and casual dining twice are hard to value. I believe Majestic has casual dining at Vines and Alfredo’s.

You can bring 1 bottle of wine per person with no corkage fee if they are drunk in your cabin (or a glass poured in your cabin to drink elsewhere). The corkage fee for additional bottles is $20 US/$30 AUD.

There are 3 formal nights on a true 14 day itinerary. If it is also sold as two separate 7 day itineraries, there will be 4, two for each. Lobster is usually served once per cruise. Formal nights are never on the first or last night and most often on sea days. You can see which nights are scheduled as formal nights in the ship’s schedule under “Journey” in the app. Every evening will show either “casual” or “formal” portraits. I’ve seen it populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.

Captain’s Circle info is here

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/membershipBenefits.page

Check in is done in the app and hours for the port are shown there pre-cruise. There are no assigned boarding times on Princess. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

There are three options for dining, but you can only see the two  options for reservations when you look at the app. Traditional or making reservations one night at a time. Walk in seating is available in another dining room onboard for those who don’t have a reservation.

The Plus package includes wi-fi as well as gratuities which total $41 per day. That leaves $19 for beverages, about $16 per day when you factor in the 18% service charge on beverages. A glass of wine will be at least $10 and up with $15 being pretty typical. Coffee about $5, soft drinks $3, beer about $8.  If you get water, cappuccino, soft drinks or a second glass of wine, you would be ahead. The waived charge for shipping of medallions, Ocean Now delivery, desserts, exercise classes and casual dining twice are hard to value. I believe Majestic has casual dining at Vines and Alfredo’s.

You can bring 1 bottle of wine per person with no corkage fee if they are drunk in your cabin (or a glass poured in your cabin to drink elsewhere). The corkage fee for additional bottles is $20 US/$30 AUD.

There are 3 formal nights on a true 14 day itinerary. If it is also sold as two separate 7 day itineraries, there will be 4, two for each. Lobster is usually served once per cruise. Formal nights are never on the first or last night and most often on sea days. You can see which nights are scheduled as formal nights in the ship’s schedule under “Journey” in the app. Every evening will show either “casual” or “formal” portraits. I’ve seen it populate as much as a couple of months before a cruise.

Captain’s Circle info is here

Check in is done in the app and hours for the port are shown there pre-cruise. There are no assigned boarding times on Princess. 

I guess since I don't really need wifi (but nice to have) I didn't consider the cost of that plus tips leaves 19.00/day for drinks.  We don't drink coffee or soda but bottled water is nice.  I'm hoping TA can do something about the price like she did on Celebrity.  This is a true 14 day circle cruise without going back to the home port (which I find crazy) so I guess 3 formal nights. Since there are no assigned times on Princess to board, how do you avoid the lines?  I'm assuming that everyone is getting to the port early to start their vacations?  Thanks

9 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

I guess since I don't really need wifi (but nice to have) I didn't consider the cost of that plus tips leaves 19.00/day for drinks.  We don't drink coffee or soda but bottled water is nice.  I'm hoping TA can do something about the price like she did on Celebrity.  This is a true 14 day circle cruise without going back to the home port (which I find crazy) so I guess 3 formal nights. Since there are no assigned times on Princess to board, how do you avoid the lines?  I'm assuming that everyone is getting to the port early to start their vacations?  Thanks

Generally speaking, people arrive early.  Boarding late in the day usually means no waiting. What port do you sail from?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

Generally speaking, people arrive early.  Boarding late in the day usually means no waiting. What port do you sail from?

Fort Lauderdale

1 hour ago, bucky0926 said:

We don't drink coffee or soda but bottled water is nice. 

Just an FYI. Princess has one of the best deals on bottled water at sea!  You can get 12 regular sized bottles of water delivered to your stateroom for $7.08.  Just order in the cruise personalizer in the drinks/beverages section.  We *always* do this.  Even though we always sail with either Plus or Premier, it is nice just to have that water in your cabin and not have to pick up bottles at a bar or order via room service.  In my opinion, the convenience FAR outweighs the $7.08!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

See Below

My Time dining you just show up.  I see below you are in a mini suite. If it is a "Reserve Class" mini then you get Reserve Class dining in a separate section of the DR. No need to do anything else. Reserve Class Dining is walk in anytime the DR is open with prompt seating, improved service and one extra main each evening.

For a mini suite the daily grat. is $17/pp/day. I don't know where you saw $43. Casual Meals are three course meals. Each ship has different venues. The cost is $15 without the package. On the Majestic it's basically Alfredo's personal pizza which is very good. There may be another casual meal, but I'm not certain of what it is. 

What evenings are the more dressy evenings and how many are there on a 14 day cruise? If you are a true 14 day cruise there are 3. If the cruise is two 7 day cruises b2b then 4. 

How does the loyalty program work for Princess and where can I find the grid? You each will receive 1 cruise credit and 14 days for a true 14 day cruise. It's 2 cruise credits and 14 days if you are on a b2b. Don't worry about it. You have a long way to go before receiving any real benefits.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/cc/captains-circle-loyalty-benefits.pdf

How can I find out how much the drinks are that we usually get (as this will help determine if we get the plus package or not)?

Basic cocktails, straight spirits are mostly in the $10/$12 range. Beers are in the $5 to $8 range. Some wines are in the $12 to $15 range. Better wines are in the $18 to $20 range. If you have the plus package and order a drink in excess of $15 you pay the difference + 18%. For me it takes around 3 alcoholic beverages /day to break even on the plus fare. 

When do we check in to get port arrival times and where do we do it?

You check in on line. You can have your medallion sent to you or pick up at the pier. There are no assigned check in & boarding times. Pier arrival can be anytime between say 9:30am until 90 minutes before sailing.

Are we allowed to bring on bottles of wine and if so how many?

1 x 750ml bottle per adult at no charge for use in the cabin. If the bottle is carried to a public area such as a DR there will be a $20 corkage fee. Additional bottles can be carried on board and are subject to the corkage fee when boarding.

Are there any on board activities that I should be made aware of that need to be reserved before we board the ship? Not really. You may wish to reserve specialty dining meals. When you do this your credit card is charged at the time of booking. Shows are all walk in.

Is there a pool that has a cover and is usually a little more sedate?

The Majestic has the Hollywood Pool Club which is a covered pool. More sedate? It depends on when and where you are sailing and how many youth are on board. For example Alaska has lots of youth and they love the pools. Do I get more loyalty points for a mini suite?  No.

How can I get accrue more points? Take more Princess cruises. If you are thinking free drink happy hour, Princess does not have this.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bucky0926 said:

Fort Lauderdale

The terminal usually opens there at about 10:00 and boarding can begin as early as 10:30. People will be lining up outside by 9:00

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

We are probably the outliers   We always board after 1:30 to avoid Crowe and lines. We know we will have ship food for several weeks so like to have a nice lunch on shore prior to boarding

Edited by memoak
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

If you want to avoid lines at Port Everglades and still be there in time for lunch in the Maine dining room, aim to arrive around 12:12-30. Lines are essentially gone and MDR is open til 1:30.

There are no advance reservations for any shows or entertainment on Majestic.  Nor reservations for entertainment aboard - first come first seated. 

Hollywood Conservatory is covered pool area.

Captain's Circle membership and info here:

Super helpful FAQs and such for Princess here, including alcohol and wine policy, etc:

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq

The price for Plus or Premier Cruise Packages isn't discountable. Your TA may gift you some OBC or cover it for you, but Princess doesn't give them room to get a discounted price on it..  it's a flat $60/80.  

Yes, 3 formal on 14 night sailing. Lobster will be served free on one of those - either 2nd or 3rd. Unlikely to be first. There's also lobster available any night in MDR at extra cost, from the Crown Grill..

WiFi is $24.99 a night when bought for entire sailing. Crew Appreciation in mini-suite is $17.  Doesn't leave a lot leftover daily for drinks, casual dining, premium Desserts, room service or Ocean Now delivery, etc. 

Room service is $5 per order when ordered by room phone. Ocean Now allows delivery all over the ship , including cabin, and is $14.99 one time fee via app..  (without a Cruise Package). 

Casual dining is the modern casual sit down dining venues, ie Alfredo's, Ocean Terrace Seafood, places like that.   

Lido deck food outlets, buffet, International Cafe and MDR are all included in your fare .

Enjoy, it's quite different from RCCL! 

• Thanks 1

@bucky0926

here is the dining options for dinner.

Traditional dining seems to be 5 PM and 7:30 PM with a few variations.

The reservable (Flexible is Princesses new term) a.k.a. dine my way starts at 5 PM and there are slots available every 20 minutes.

Open seating (Princesses new term) AKA walk-in is just that. 

Majestic Princess- 2024-2025

Symphony -Traditional at 5pm (private table available or shared ) & 7:30 pm( only private table)

Allegro- reservable every 20 minutes 5 pm- 8:20 pm

Concerto-Walk ins

Majestic 2026-As of 7-25-2024 available to book- Elite 

Symphony- Traditional 5pm ( able to get private table) & 7:30pm?

Allegro- reservable every 20 minutes (5 pm-8:20 pm)

Concerto - walk in

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@bucky0926

heres the casual meal description and menu.

I think Alfredo’s & Vines are on Majestic.

What is “Casual Dining” on Princess?

Beginning on a rolling basis on August 2, 2023, guests with “Princess Plus” and “Princess Premier” packages will have new prix fixe casual meal options in their ship’s casual dining restaurants included for no extra charge. Those with “Plus” will receive two included “casual dining” meals per sailing and those with “Premier” will receive unlimited “casual dining” meals. Those guests with “Princess Standard” will pay $14.99 for the prix fixe “casual dining” meals or à la carte prices. “Plus” guests will also pay $14.99 or à la carte prices after their first two meals. Restaurants serving the new “casual dining” meals include: Alfredo’s, GiGi’s, Kai Sushi, Ocean Terrace, O’Malleys, Planks, Salty Dog Pub, Steamers, and Vines.

Lobster tail ( tiny) is usually served on DR on second formal night.

You may each bring 1 bottle of wine 750 ml at embarkation.

princess.com has a FAQ section and many sections for answers.( example go to menu & booked guests and google works too.)

IMG_9417.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@bucky0926 Alfredo’s menu and a few drink menus. I would google drink prices and you’ll come up with all kinds of different sites of people that have posted menus. I just have a few that may help you decide on whether you get the standad or the plus or premier cruise fare. Sorry soda menu,no prices.( I believe $2.50 each) Lots of wine & drink menus out there. Automatically 18% gratuities added to each drink on standard fare.

bottled water is $2.50-500ml & $5.00 for 1.5 liter or pre purchase on web or app before voyage for less $. Water is filtered in buffet area to fill your own reusable bottles 

.IMG_4788.thumb.jpeg.f423348fba0613f36968e5efc90afc9c.jpeg

IMG_0081.thumb.jpeg.e445b6a15a991b5fab847cc50e4cf816.jpeg

IMG_0380.thumb.jpeg.08b48c2791b264fa87fa2631915067c4.jpeg

IMG_0381.thumb.jpeg.07b8923aeff897e6912451756a6c28b1.jpeg

IMG_0469.thumb.jpeg.73f4e267992d17e38606909fed679fe4.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Thanks 1

All purchased alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages are menu priced plus an 18% service charge. Example, you will be charged $11.80 for a $10 menu priced beverage. Plus and premier packages include the service charge. Nothing is charged to your accounts for drinks within the dollar limits. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

All purchased alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages are menu priced plus an 18% service charge. Example, you will be charged $11.80 for a $10 menu priced beverage. Plus and premier packages include the service charge. Nothing is charged to your accounts for drinks within the dollar limits. 

So does this mean they really don't get a tip?  should I carry dollar bills with me for these cases?

22 hours ago, skynight said:

For a mini suite the daily grat. is $17/pp/day. I don't know where you saw $43. Casual Meals are three course meals. Each ship has different venues. The cost is $15 without the package. On the Majestic it's basically Alfredo's personal pizza which is very good. There may be another casual meal, but I'm not certain of what it is. 

What I meant is that after I pay the gratuities of $17.00/day that leaves 43.00 left spread out of the wifi, beverage package etc.  Not being a big drinker and not really needing wifi I don't know if it is worth it.

39 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

So does this mean they really don't get a tip?  should I carry dollar bills with me for these cases?

some people do tip every time they get a drink.  We tend to drink in a similar area every day and if there is a server who regularly gets our drink and is helpful, we give them an extra tip in the last day or two of the cruise.  On our last cruise, one server brought us a full opened bottle of wine to save us asking for another glass (and him having to go get it).  He received a nice tip at the end of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

If you are paying per drink, alcoholic or non alcoholic, you will be charged an 18% service charge based on the menu price. My way of thinking, this is the tip.

If you have the plus or premier fare the service charge is included in the cost of the fare.

Some people walk around with $1 bills in their pocket and tip every time a drink is served. We are speaking about alcoholic beverages for the most part. Some people that visit the same lounge/bar each day and have the same bar waiters will provide them with a cash gratuity at the end of the cruise. Some don't provide any additional tip. In my case I never carry cash around on board and don't tip per drink. I have provided an extra cash reward directly to certain servers at the end of the cruise. I do remain on board for multiple b2b2b cruises and get to know certain crew members. There are thousands of posting regarding tipping on board with all kinds of thinking.  It is really up to you.

Note that coffee & hot tea are available all day and evening, 6am until around 11pm, in the World Fresh Market Place at no charge. Last time I was on board, March 2024, it was LaVazza brand coffee. The buffet area remains open all day, never closes. Coffee and tea is also available in the DRs at no charge. Other no charge beverages include standard juices during breakfast hours as well as ice tea and lemonade all day and evening. Brewed and specialty coffees and espresso drinks as well as specialty teas do have a charge. They are available at the International Cafe, open 24/7, and at some other locations. 

Princess also has an afternoon tea in one of the DRs. It's no charge. Just show up. I can't remember if it's every day or just on sea days. It will be listed in the events listing.

It's similar with the cabin steward. Some do not tip beyond the daily charge. Others do provide a cash reward at the end of the cruise. Being on board for an extended period I'm one of the ones that do provide the cabin steward with an extra reward. 

• Thanks 1

Being not a Princess virgin, but pretty close to it as we have only done one cruise with Princess before our forthcoming cruise coming up I won't be trying to advise you on any aspects of what to do or expect. We have taken out the Plus Package simply for piece of mind that we haven't got to worry about what we are spending onboard. We have around $350 onboard credit given to us and I have allocated further money just in case. Neither I or my wife are big drinkers. We used to have a bottle of wine on a Sunday with lunch, but even that has been sidelined as my wife will have one glass and I end up drinking the rest. We both like speciality coffee's and a piece of cake or to try the desserts. Don't see either of us eating  two a day though. Taking out a Package is purely individual choice. Just remember though you both have to have the Package if you are in the same cabin.

2 hours ago, bucky0926 said:

If you’re not planning on getting the drink package  or the plus or premier cruise package and doing standard cruise fare ( which is absolutely a good choice. If you don’t think you’re going to use many of the package items ) and paying for drinks as you go along, each drink will incur an 18% automatic gratuity .

People that have the alcohol/drink package the 18% is bundled into their package, so the 18% is already there, if that makes any sense .

No extra tips are expected (so no you do not need to carry dollar bills everywhere with you )when you order a drink, if you want to you may ,but it’s pretty much a cashless system on most cruise ships. I’m not going to get into the tipping thing on this thread. To each his own ,if they want to give extra or not give extra.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

If you’re not planning on getting the drink package  or the plus or premier cruise package and doing standard cruise fare ( which is absolutely a good choice. If you don’t think you’re going to use many of the package items ) and paying for drinks as you go along, each drink will incur an 18% automatic gratuity .

People that have the alcohol/drink package the 18% is bundled into their package, so the 18% is already there, if that makes any sense .

No extra tips are expected (so no you do not need to carry dollar bills everywhere with you )when you order a drink, if you want to you may ,but it’s pretty much a cashless system on most cruise ships. I’m not going to get into the tipping thing on this thread. To each his own ,if they want to give extra or not give extra.

I know they get the 18% if I do not opt for a package.  Just wondering if they get a tip on a drink I order but doesn't "go through the system."  If nothing is rung up then how do they get their tip since nothing went through the system.  They can't collect 18% if the drink was never purchased right?  In this instance should I tip?