Meals in DR - still as many as you like?

Hello, 
We haven't cruised since pre-pandemic and I am wondering what changes are there to the DR? Can you still order two apps or Entress if you can't decide? I read that room service is no longer free. Did anything else change with regard to meals? Thank you 

You can order as many apps as you like but after the first entree, there is a nominal fee.  I believe it's $5.

This was implemented to avoid waste.

Room service has fees except for the continental breakfast.

You can order up to 2 entrees pp in the MDR, then $5 upcharge for each thereafter.

Not sure about appetizers, I've never tried to order more than 2 so I imagine it's the same with that.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Star965 said:

Hello, 
We haven't cruised since pre-pandemic and I am wondering what changes are there to the DR? Can you still order two apps or Entress if you can't decide? I read that room service is no longer free. Did anything else change with regard to meals? Thank you 

Everything is extra now - extra charge for more than 2 entrees in MDR (and the portions are smaller). Room service - outside of cold danishes and coffee at breakfast - is a paid for menu. $5 for a dry PB&J sandwich for example. And the food is not as good as before COVID. Cut-up hot dogs served as breakfast sausage on the buffet, bacon only every other day. Enjoy?

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kapcruiser said:

Can you order 2 appetizers and a salad

or 2 appetizers and a soup?

You can order as many appetizers and salads as you want.  The only restriction is on entrees.  Up to 2 included, 3rd or more $5 each. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, mistycruiser said:

You can order as many appetizers and salads as you want.  The only restriction is on entrees.  Up to 2 included, 3rd or more $5 each. 

True enough, nice post, you answered the question, and just the question.  

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

That kindof sucks. I can't eat most of the sides so I generally order 3.

Are they still inflexible about substitutions?

You can always do the buffet, though imo some of the new appetizers were quite good I had last january. 

Royal allows all the entrees you want except for 1 lobster, changed to 1 maine lobster. Lots of people ordering extra lobster for their newly met tablemates lol. They tried to say one plate at a time and there was a uproar. Seriously I thought one guy was going to physically attack the waiter because he wanted his lobster and steak on the same plate. Lol 5 minutes later another guy at my table wanted spaghetti with his lobster. The one plate at a time caused such a uproar royal seems to have stopped that. People were so mad. Yelling at the waiter mad.

I did see one pushy cop get 5 free lobsters. If you are loud enough and a bully it works. Got the floor mgr even involved. I think too many wanted to set a record and see if they could eat 22 lobsters too. I've resorted to booking specialty restaurants to get more lobster. 

Thank you all, two entrees is more than enough, we like to try new things but food waste is real so no issue. However, the room service change is a bummer and bacon every other day feels just wrong. We have been on 10 cruises to date but all pre-pandemic, 6 of those on Carnival and we keep coming back because we feel they have the best food in their traditional dining.  

1 hour ago, Star965 said:

bacon every other day feels just wrong.

If you have breakfast or Sea Day Brunch in the main dining room, there is bacon every day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

That kindof sucks. I can't eat most of the sides so I generally order 3.

Are they still inflexible about substitutions?

We have never found the MDR to be inflexible with sides. My son and I both have allergies, and have gotten other sides (like no string beans, but broccoli instead) before. My son has also asked for French fries with his steak before without a problem.

• Like 1

I followed Weight Watchers for years.

The portions are within the guidelines of what a serving is supposed to be. LOL

I'm sure the cruise lines are more concerned with the amount of food wasted.  I've seen full plates get dumped in the trash.

I always order 2 apps and sometimes have had 2 entrees.

Smooth sailing!

Yes, the policy is 2 entrees.  But how many reports of the 3rd one being charged?  Seems like they would find a way to make the customer happy such as providing the extra one as part of another diner's allowance.  The waiters have always tried to please us - for a couple we often have 3 appetizers and 3 entrees, yes within the limits but I bet there are big eaters that would enjoy more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adventuredancer said:

does anyone actually like the wierd juice combos they have in the MDR for sea day brunch? they seem so random and i haven't wanted to attempt. 

Do you mean the "fresh pressed" juices that are extra cost? No, I have never tried them and have never seen anyone else order them either. I am surprised they still offer them frankly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...