First Oceania cruise

NJ Gal

Sounds like a new procedure. I've never had to present the letter and have always been able to get it the day before disembarkation in cash, in the odd times I had any left over. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

Seeing posts mentioning the option of sharing a table because of scarcity of two-tops makes me wonder if it's going to be hard as a solo traveler to get seated?

I’ve seen many solo travelers dining alone in the GDR and specialty restaurants if they choose to do so.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cayman09 said:

Was on an 18-day cruise....

When? Which ship? How many passengers were sailing on your cruise? Where?

Sailed on Riviera 12/2021 when we had only 719 passengers. Treated like royalty by 780 crew. Easy to dine. But then sailed on Riviera 10-11/2023 with over 1230 passengers. Much more difficult. We had great reservations in our A3 concierge cabin and thoroughly crummy ones in our B3 cabin.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

Regatta, last year Sydney to Tahiti with a full ship.

Still didn’t answer which class of cabin you were in. In upper suites, yes you’re able to book early two tops. In lower cabins, on a full ship, not very often.

Just because someone wins the lottery, doesn’t make it a common occurrence for all.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Still didn’t answer which class of cabin you were in. In upper suites, yes you’re able to book early two tops. In lower cabins, on a full ship, not very often.

Just because someone wins the lottery, doesn’t make it a common occurrence for all.

@pinotlover To your point, there is a huge different when you are on an upper suite.  Oceania, Vista or Owners suites.  I was in a Vista Suite, I changed and added specialty restaurants.  I was NEVER turned down once. Now I met many people on the cruise that did NOT have that kind of success.  They got a few reservations while on the ship, they were early or late.  My Butler told me that although they are not allowed to openly talk about it, the upper end suites are rarely told no.  

My point is, there is a case for those that say, we ALL have complementary specialty restaurant reservations but for most cruisers, they are HARD to get or change while on the ship.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@pinotlover To your point, there is a huge different when you are on an upper suite.  Oceania, Vista or Owners suites.  I was in a Vista Suite, I changed and added specialty restaurants.  I was NEVER turned down once. Now I met many people on the cruise that did NOT have that kind of success.  They got a few reservations while on the ship, they were early or late.  My Butler told me that although they are not allowed to openly talk about it, the upper end suites are rarely told no.  

My point is, there is a case for those that say, we ALL have complementary specialty restaurant reservations but for most cruisers, they are HARD to get or change while on the ship.  

All correct.

My point is people, playing coy, post here with profound statements yet refuse to give very pertinent facts that may explain a situation. Absolutely, one’s butler can help them get additional reservations others can’t get. Absolutely being able to book Specialties 75 days out instead of 45 days gives more flexibility. We all know this. Why then purposely refuse to disclose your cabin level when it’s hugely pertinent? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

yes you’re able to book early two tops

Stayed concierge on two cruises, PH on the third. Not had a problem booking two tops in the specialities, for 7.30 or 8.00. Never had to wait more than a few minutes for one in the GDR. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in a PH and was not being coy. I answered the questions as asked and I'm sorry it wasn't as quickly as you require but some of us have other things to do than monitor this site constantly. I did book my allocation when allowed and was able to get two more. One was for the first night that I booked after boarded. The other was the 7:00 PM as a walk up on a port day which was from a no show.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

All correct.

My point is people, playing coy, post here with profound statements yet refuse to give very pertinent facts that may explain a situation. Absolutely, one’s butler can help them get additional reservations others can’t get. Absolutely being able to book Specialties 75 days out instead of 45 days gives more flexibility. We all know this. Why then purposely refuse to disclose your cabin level when it’s hugely pertinent? 

@pinotlover Believe it or not, sometimes folks who post do have a clue on how things work.  Many do little to know real research then when they don't get what they want, the blame game happens.  Other are of the camp, everything is perfect or everything was wrong.  It is so very important on social media to provide all the details so other have realistic expectations.  Not to do so, and I mean this from the heart, creates in many cruisers disappointment because it was there expectation.  That is YOUR very important point.  We can actually mess up someone else's cruise. 

Thanks, everyone can have a better time is we are always transparent on the important details. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Penthouse suites?

@Daniel A My guests were in a Penthouse.  They did not have much trouble with reservations.  But my suite was almost a guarantee to get anything we wanted. Why I share this Oceania is no difference between most other lines.  Is it worth getting a upper end suite, like Oceania, Vista and Owners Suite?  To some, not others and I will never do it again.  Investment vs. Benefit for ME ONLY, is simply not enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were in a PH on a cruise and not only was our butler able to get us an extra reservation he also was able to add some friends of ours that were in an inside cabin to the reservation. 

But, there are no absolutes, many factors involved in any of these situations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2024 at 5:24 PM, JCMass. said:

We booked a concierge cabin, and have Simply More, but can't seem to find what they mean by champagne, wine and more.  What is the more ?   Also specialty dining is it unlimited or what ?

We don't really drink, but sometimes my husband will ask for a port and that is counted as the 'more.'

As far as unlimited restaurants, well you are guaranteed at least one, but in the morning you can go see the maitre-d and ask about availability on that evening. We did one cruise in which we could never get a second night no matter what the time or circumstances, but the next two cruises we were able to get more than one reservation by being somewhat flexible (sharing with another couple and/or pushing the time back by a half hour).

I am delighted to announce that we have made our speciality reservations and at a respectable hour (6:30) with shared tables (we always choose to share) on Nautica.  This and being in steerage with no butler to intervene.  With all the doom and gloom predictions on this forum I was expecting to settle for midnight reservations in the galley. 🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

When I think about it, if I could stay awake, midnight in the galley might be a lot of fun.  The crew would be ready to party at the end of a long day.  The butlers might even come down for some dancing.  Have fun where you can find it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ORV said:

We were in a PH on a cruise and not only was our butler able to get us an extra reservation he also was able to add some friends of ours that were in an inside cabin to the reservation. 

But, there are no absolutes, many factors involved in any of these situations. 

And being nice doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I am delighted to announce that we have made our speciality reservations and at a respectable hour (6:30) with shared tables (we always choose to share) on Nautica.  This and being in steerage with no butler to intervene.  With all the doom and gloom predictions on this forum I was expecting to settle for midnight reservations in the galley. 🤣

So  you're not really IN California? Midnight 'back there' is only 9PM 'out here.'

15 minutes ago, clo said:

So  you're not really IN California? Midnight 'back there' is only 9PM 'out here.'

When I'm on the ship, midnight will be 12 AM, but while I'm in California, I will not be on the ship.  My plan is to eat dinner on the ship, so whatever time that might be in California will be irrelevant. 🙂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kay S said:

When I'm on the ship, midnight will be 12 AM, but while I'm in California, I will not be on the ship.  My plan is to eat dinner on the ship, so whatever time that might be in California will be irrelevant. 🙂

I'm sorry. I thought you were referring to the date prior to sailing when you can make your online reservations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Yep. We’re in a lowly C1 with the 45 day dining reservation booking time. I managed to get one 8:30 pm,  two 9:00 pm’s and 1 8:00 pm <- which felt like a win! lol …I don’t care. Perhaps we will be able to be seated a wee bit earlier. 🤷‍♀️ It is what it is. 

• Like 2

I just got an email saying I had to watch the safety video within 72 hours of embarkation.  I clicked on the link in the email and watched the video.  How does O know we watched it?  There was nothing to identify us.

We’re in a lowly C1 with the 45 day dining reservation booking time. I managed to get one 8:30 pm,  two 9:00 pm’s and 1 8:00 pm <- which felt like a win! lol …I don’t care. Perhaps we will be able to be seated a wee bit earlier. 🤷‍♀️ It is what it i

We've had many 9:00 reservations and I think they have always been earlier, usually 8:00 or even 7:30.  We like to eat later so that's not a problem for us.  I think you'll probably eat earlier than you think.

At home we eat at 6:30 because that's when Wheel of Fortune come on the TV.  Oh yeah, we're exciting people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8