power strips

• 2 weeks later...

I got medical tags for the cpap and extension cord.  I figure they are less likely to confiscate this way, and I really wany MY cord cuz it has 3 outlets.

2 PACK - Medical Equipment Inside Tag - for Luggage or Bags Containing Medical Devices - 5x4 Inches Big and Bright Size - Easy to Spot https://a.co/d/hq9k389

1 hour ago, cruisewithwife said:

Buy on Amazon and make sure it says cruise approved 

First, nothing is "cruise approved", no cruise line approves third party products, and even if it says it is, that is no guarantee that it is not surge protected.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yes, they are allowed, but if someone is having a bad day, they may "deem it unsafe" and confiscate it lol.  I've never had an issue, but the way they word it makes me think they take them sometimes anyway.

"Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, banned electrical devices or devices determined to pose a safety hazard, will be confiscated and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

First, nothing is "cruise approved", no cruise line approves third party products, and even if it says it is, that is no guarantee that it is not surge protected.

At one point Amazon was selling a "cruise line approved" power strip or power cube/block that had a surge protector.

11 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

At one point Amazon was selling a "cruise line approved" power strip or power cube/block that had a surge protector.

Amazon doesn't regulate the sellers. Seller could claim it cures cancer, and it would take someone filing a complaint with govt or a lawyer sending letter to Amazon to get them to drop product. 

16 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

Amazon doesn't regulate the sellers. Seller could claim it cures cancer, and it would take someone filing a complaint with govt or a lawyer sending letter to Amazon to get them to drop product. 

I didn't say Amazon regulated the sellers🙄

The point is there are/were "cruise approved" products on Amazon that are expressly prohibited by the cruise lines.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

I didn't say Amazon regulated the sellers🙄

The point is there are/were "cruise approved" products on Amazon that are expressly prohibited by the cruise lines.

Which, of course, the seller knew and took advantage of buyers that didn't know better.

Likely by the time the customer found out it wasn't paid, the return window would have elapsed.

16 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

They still are. I was looking for one a week or so ago. The title said it had no surge protector and was "Cruise approved" but when you read down in the item description, it was clear it had surge protection. Don't remember the exact wording, but that's what it meant. Something about all devices were protected from electrical overload or something similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, straitlover1965 said:

They still are. I was looking for one a week or so ago. The title said it had no surge protector and was "Cruise approved" but when you read down in the item description, it was clear it had surge protection. Don't remember the exact wording, but that's what it meant. Something about all devices were protected from electrical overload or something similar.

While I have personally researched power strips at the request of CC posters, and having found ones that claim to be non-surge protected, while in fact being surge protected, the wording is very important to understand what you are buying.  For instance, a quick look at Amazon found one that states "the power strip can prevent your electric devices from over-current/over-charge/short circuit/over-heated."  That unit is not surge protected.  None of those terms used to describe the safety features of the electronics is in any way connected to what a surge protector does.  The best way to determine if a power strip is surge protected or not, is to look at any marketing photo that shows the back of the unit, and the specifications molded into the label there.  If there is a "VPN" rating, then the unit is surge protected, but if not, then it is not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

While I have personally researched power strips at the request of CC posters, and having found ones that claim to be non-surge protected, while in fact being surge protected, the wording is very important to understand what you are buying.  For instance, a quick look at Amazon found one that states "the power strip can prevent your electric devices from over-current/over-charge/short circuit/over-heated."  That unit is not surge protected.  None of those terms used to describe the safety features of the electronics is in any way connected to what a surge protector does.  The best way to determine if a power strip is surge protected or not, is to look at any marketing photo that shows the back of the unit, and the specifications molded into the label there.  If there is a "VPN" rating, then the unit is surge protected, but if not, then it is not.

Interesting, thanks!

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

VPR!

It's so refreshing to see someone who actually understands this. I see people [on social media] often think that because it has a power switch, that it's a surge protector. No Jimmy, that power strip you got at the dollar store for $1.25 isn't going to protect your $3,000 TV from a power surge during a storm. You have a power strip. 😄

• Haha 1

We bring one on every cruise (a pretty neat round one with internal cord storage) and have never had any issues.  It’s packed in our carryon with the jewelry, camera, and mini-fans.  

On 8/21/2024 at 4:34 AM, mz-s said:

Carnivals website has an exhaustive list of prohibited items on their website. 

Just because you read the list doesn't mean you understand the technical details. I assumed it was the ones with power switch until the post above from chengkp above. 

I tend to trust the Amazon product descriptions unless the rating is really low. But that can be gamed too (hopefully less with new law). I do tend to return a lot of stuff to Amazon that doesn't meet my expectations. Problem in this situation is that if I bought the wrong thing, I wouldn't know until the return window had expired.