It’s Show Time

friendlyfifer

We are thinking of booking another cruise. Can people who have sailed in the last few months tell me what shows are currently on board? We really don’t want to see tributes to ABBA or the Beatles ever again.

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Currently on Venus. Last night was a song review of Broadway and London musicals. So far no Beatles or ABBA in sight.

We must be the only people who want to see those two shows!  Everyone talked so much about them but when we were on our first cruise it was during Covid restrictions and both nights we tried to get into the theatre, it was at capacity and so for understandable safety reasons we are not allowed to join to watch the show.  
On our second Cruise there were technical issues so we didn’t see them.  We are looking forward to third and it sounds like we have missed the boat if you pardon the pun.
We are just too fond of 60s and 70s sounds to move to some of the modern stuff just yet but we will be willing to give it a go if required 

• Like 2

We also appreciate the Abba and Beatles nights.  They always seem to be enthusiastically supported.  Last fall we spent 33 days on Star and many nights it was just the four featured singers doing solo acts.  Let's just say some performed much better in an ensemble cast than as soloists.  Next spring we're doing 44 days on Sky and while we don't have high expectations for the entertainment we'll  attend every performance.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Planning to cruise said:

No show is compulsory!  

You’re right but having seen the ABBA and Beatles shows at least three times, enough is enough. ABBA won the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974, the year I left school. The Beatles are even older. Viking really do need to ring the changes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uktog said:

We must be the only people who want to see those two shows!  Everyone talked so much about them but when we were on our first cruise it was during Covid restrictions and both nights we tried to get into the theatre, it was at capacity and so for understandable safety reasons we are not allowed to join to watch the show.  
On our second Cruise there were technical issues so we didn’t see them.  We are looking forward to third and it sounds like we have missed the boat if you pardon the pun.
We are just too fond of 60s and 70s sounds to move to some of the modern stuff just yet but we will be willing to give it a go if required 

I left school in 1974 when ABBA won the Eurovision Song Contest, that was fifty years ago. Surely Viking can come up with something a little closer to the present day. Enjoy the shows when you do see them. The show that has hits from the West End and Broadway is good but I suspect Viking don’t have the performance rights to some of the big hits from the last 50 years.

There was Southern Sounds, Motown, Musicals and each individual entertainer gave their own show in their preferred genre.  I don’t remember seeing either ABBA or the Beatles shows on our last cruise (Orion, Bangkok to Vancouver).  

The British Isles cruise in May did a renewed Beatles Show but it may have been because we were in Liverpool and certainly in the MOOD.

• Like 3

My understanding is that these shows - specifically Beatles and ABBA - are driven by corporate decisions.  Makes sense that the Beatles would be done on the British Isles cruise.

I also understood that corporate was replacing these?

• Like 1

I am wondering if it has something to do with the style/abilities of current performers… we had neither ABBA or Beatles on Venus in Feb, but did have show tunes (which the performers were very good at). For as much as I think the ABBA and Beatles shows are “dated” they definitely get spirits up and the “earworms” sparked.

it was refreshing to see a new show, though.

Tonight the Venus cruise director, Andre, announced the ABBA show is totally new and is debuting on this ship. It includes the newest album. He also said there will a new Beatles show performed later on this cruise.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Tonight the Venus cruise director, Andre, announced the ABBA show is totally new and is debuting on this ship. It includes the newest album. He also said there will a new Beatles show performed later on this cruise.

I despair!! Viking is stuck in a time warp. Why develop two new shows around the music of the two groups that they have been flogging to death for years? Sadly our next cruise will be with another cruise line. We love Viking but need something new.

On 8/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, uktog said:

We must be the only people who want to see those two shows!  

We would too! (ABBA and Beatles)

Unless you go on a Viking cruise frequently, you wouldn't be seeing so much.

I know their music, but sure do not remember the show from one or  two years ago.

We listen to the Beatles album 1 all the time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, friendlyfifer said:

I despair!! Viking is stuck in a time warp. Why develop two new shows around the music of the two groups that they have been flogging to death for years? Sadly our next cruise will be with another cruise line. We love Viking but need something new.

We are also tired of ABBA and Beatles, but I'm not sure we would change to another cruise line just for those 2 nights on a 14 night cruise.  There are so many other great things about Viking IMHO.  Like someone earlier said - attending the Star Theatre shows every night is not compulsory.  Plenty of other things to do for those 2 nights!  Wonderful guitar players, classical duos, piano players, and just sitting in the lounges enjoying the views and conversations with newly discovered friends!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

We are also tired of ABBA and Beatles, but I'm not sure we would change to another cruise line just for those 2 nights on a 14 night cruise.  There are so many other great things about Viking IMHO.  Like someone earlier said - attending the Star Theatre shows every night is not compulsory.  Plenty of other things to do for those 2 nights!  Wonderful guitar players, classical duos, piano players, and just sitting in the lounges enjoying the views and conversations with newly discovered friends!

I don’t disagree with you, there are many offerings which keep us coming back to Viking. However, subtle changes would be appreciated when it comes to shows, music in public areas and menus. The ships are beautiful and it is great to board any ship and know where everything is. The crew are amazing too.

People of all ages know and love the Beatles and ABBA but surely Viking should want to put them out to grass at some stage. Also would the young entertainers not prefer to sing more contemporary songs?

Posted (edited)

I have my original copy of "Meet The Beatles"* It was their first U. S. LP release. On the back of the album cover there is some introductory information(!) for the group which includes:

"The lads are from Liverpool, a seafaring city, and sailors brought the newest records from America which they enjoyed."

So I lived in a time when music traveled by sailing ship? It is true I discovered (ruefully).

Maybe this is a "full circle" situation if I have Beatles music on my sailing ship.

*condition:  scratchy

Edited by tarhoosier

If Viking decides to get rid of the ABBA & BEATTLES shows, I hope they wait till next March!  Our cruise is in Feb. and I'd love to see them both!  I imagine each cruise has many Viking Ocean "first timers" who have not seen those shows. 

• Like 3

We've accepted that production shows just aren't Viking's strongest area, and don't bother even looking to see what is being offered. We enjoy the musicians around the ship in the evenings, and turn in early in any event 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1