I just booked my first RCI Cruise...I have no idea what I'm doing or getting myself into

Long time cruiser but first time sailing Royal. 

I've been on Carnival, Disney, and Virgin, but booked a last minute cruise on Utopia of the Seas leaving in a few days to celebrate my mom's birthday. 

I'm doing my last minute research, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed if I'm being honest. 

We are on the 3 night cruise and we know there is no way we can do it all...but here are my questions. 

- Any stand out restaurants that we should book? (If it's even available at this point) 

- We love Virgin because of the all-adult vibe and I'm thinking about booking the Adult-Only space on the island. From my understanding, it's pretty new, so would love any insight!

- Speaking of adult only, I haven't looked at deck-plans yet, but does this ship have the adult only pool section?

- What else should I know about sailing on Royal or sailing Utopia?! I'm all ears! Any shows, experiences, etc that I should book or look into?

This will be my 23rd cruise (I think!), so no rookie, but super excited for a new experience. 

Just now, Eastern flygirl said:

Isn’t the Solarium 18+ only?  I leave tomorrow for my first Utopia sailing, I sure hope she has a Solarium, as I enjoy the adult only area.  

Yes.

57 minutes ago, JayMo said:

Long time cruiser but first time sailing Royal. 

I've been on Carnival, Disney, and Virgin, but booked a last minute cruise on Utopia of the Seas leaving in a few days to celebrate my mom's birthday. 

I'm doing my last minute research, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed if I'm being honest. 

We are on the 3 night cruise and we know there is no way we can do it all...but here are my questions. 

- Any stand out restaurants that we should book? (If it's even available at this point) 

- We love Virgin because of the all-adult vibe and I'm thinking about booking the Adult-Only space on the island. From my understanding, it's pretty new, so would love any insight!

- Speaking of adult only, I haven't looked at deck-plans yet, but does this ship have the adult only pool section?

- What else should I know about sailing on Royal or sailing Utopia?! I'm all ears! Any shows, experiences, etc that I should book or look into?

This will be my 23rd cruise (I think!), so no rookie, but super excited for a new experience. 

Pull up your cruise online and click on planner. Shows should be able to be booked if they are even still available. You might have to wait until you are onboard. 

I like southbeach which is free. We were there during spring break and I dont remember it being over run by kids. There is a food stand there with free funnel cake to not be missed. The chicken sandwiches are freshly made, not sitting around like in the dining room. My idea of lunch.

Hideaway has coconut shrimp which I am not able to eat and a DJ. Nkt my vibe but might be yours.

Do catch the tram. I tried to walk and was so hot and sweaty, it's a very large area. I know better next time.

I booked some lunches on sale. Cheaper than dinners and similar food. But that's me. I think I booked hooked. I'm a sucker for lobster anything, even if its lobster rolls at lunch. I booked the italian but cant remember if its wonder or this one, which lunch on which ship. Meeting a group one of the 2, s2s? 1 day in between. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Isn’t the Solarium 18+ only?  I leave tomorrow for my first Utopia sailing, I sure hope she has a Solarium, as I enjoy the adult only area.  

The solarium part is adults only but there are food venues within solarium that children are allowed. Like to go in for meals..some think the breakfast or brunch is adult only and it's not.

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm a sucker for lobster anything, even if its lobster rolls at lunch

Sorry for the quick hijack... dunno if you've seen/had it in the MDR for lunch but if you do, don't bother. You know I'm not picky and I'm all about eating onboard but we went to the MDR solely because I saw it on the menu last month on Wonder (we never do MDR lunch) and it was awful. Full of shrimp and filler.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayMo said:

Any stand out restaurants that we should book?

Food is subjective but I love Mason Jar brunch. It's currently only available on two ships. Mason Jar also has some unique drinks and a country trio that plays nightly that is very popular. You can go to the bar for drinks/music without eating there as well.

• Thanks 1

They'll all be available most likely. No stand outs anymore IMO

You'll absolutely have to book for Hideaway Beach if you want anything close to an "all-adult vibe"

Yes, Solarium. 

Just to temper your expectations because you mentioned adults only a few times.... please be prepared for a lot of kids on the cruise. It's only a 3 day cruise so not much advice to give really other than drink up and enjoy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Sorry for the quick hijack... dunno if you've seen/had it in the MDR for lunch but if you do, don't bother. You know I'm not picky and I'm all about eating onboard but we went to the MDR solely because I saw it on the menu last month on Wonder (we never do MDR lunch) and it was awful. Full of shrimp and filler.

I hope hooked it isnt full of shrimp. That wouldn't be right. I had it on carnival a few times and its lobster and I asked for it to have butter not mayo. Havent had it on roya but have it booked I think both wonder and utopia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

They'll all be available most likely. No stand outs anymore IMO

You'll absolutely have to book for Hideaway Beach if you want anything close to an "all-adult vibe"

Yes, Solarium. 

Just to temper your expectations because you mentioned adults only a few times.... please be prepared for a lot of kids on the cruise. It's only a 3 day cruise so not much advice to give really other than drink up and enjoy. 

Thank you! 

In March, my boyfriend and I did a 3 day Carnival cruise out of Orlando…during Spring Break…during Easter weekend. If I can handle that, I can handle anything lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayMo said:

Thank you! 

In March, my boyfriend and I did a 3 day Carnival cruise out of Orlando…during Spring Break…during Easter weekend. If I can handle that, I can handle anything lol 

I would have been all over a cruise like that in my college days. 

The water show on Oasis class ships is good, not sure what the name of the show on Utopia is, but I'd book that. 

One of the newer Oasis class ships doesn't have a Broadway show, (I think it's wonder that doesn't have it, not utopia), so book that if Utopia has one.

And the ice show is sometimes good. Most people usually like seeing it at least once, regardless of the ship (I wouldn't see the one on Allure twice, it was mediocre at best). 

150 Central Park is a nicer restaurant for a birthday dinner for your Mom (if Utopia has it). Otherwise, Chops usually pleases most people. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, silentbob007 said:

I'd definitely book the ice show and water show ... those are things unique to Royal.  If there are no bookings available, try to check when you board. Otherwise there are standby lines.

Good to know! I've spent quite a bit of time at work researching the shows. The app is telling me there is 3 more spots for a show, but not letting me book, so we'll try the standby line. If we can't get in, well, a bar is always open 🙂

Thank you!

17 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

150 Central Park is a nicer restaurant for a birthday dinner for your Mom (if Utopia has it). Otherwise, Chops usually pleases most people. 

Just checked the app and looks like Utopia has both 150 Central Park AND Chops - thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1