Premium drink pkg - special card req’d?

luvtravel

We haven’t been on Oceania for a few years - more recently on Celebrity and Princess. We love the ease of the Princess Medallion - for opening doors, drinks, etc.  it was great not to have to show a card. Wondered if Oceania has simplified its drink orders, with or without a pkg.  is sign8ng a receipt still required?   thinking of getting the premium drink to make things easier - but if ordering a drink regardless of pkg. or not is the same - will help with our decision.   Also is it true that not both in a cabin with 2 needs to purchase the premium drink pkg.?  Thanks for any info!

Just one can purchase the package. When you have the Premium package they still need to run your card, but you don't have to sign anything. For wine by the glass you just show it once at dinner or lunch, sometimes they'll run it, sometimes not. 

• Like 2

I have several sea days upcoming on our Jan-Feb cruise and will again have to query the head wine steward on their current processes. On our last Sirena cruise the head steward walked me through their Passenger order system, inventory control, Miami’s ability to observe the process and order the wine in for the ship as needed on a real time basis. That of course was before SM and stewards free pouring wines. Unless they have added staff ( highly unlikely ) to count bottles, wine, beer, and liquor; there has to be an inventory control system registering how much of what is being poured out.Something has to be hitting the register somewhere.

A way to idle some time away on a sea day! 🙃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Just one can purchase the package. When you have the Premium package they still need to run your card, but you don't have to sign anything. For wine by the glass you just show it once at dinner or lunch, sometimes they'll run it, sometimes not. 

Interesting, The person that I'm traveling with doesn't drink much if at all. I asked my TA about upgrading the drink package only for me, and O told her that we would both have to upgrade. I think sometimes it depends on who at O you talk to. Will try back another day

3 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

Interesting, The person that I'm traveling with doesn't drink much if at all. I asked my TA about upgrading the drink package only for me, and O told her that we would both have to upgrade. I think sometimes it depends on who at O you talk to. Will try back another day

My memory is foggy and we both upgraded.  It really depends on when you drink more than how much.  (Basic package included beer and wine at lunch and dinner). I am guessing, but I think your TA is correct.  

5 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

My memory is foggy and we both upgraded.  It really depends on when you drink more than how much.  (Basic package included beer and wine at lunch and dinner). I am guessing, but I think your TA is correct.  

It really isn't the when, I enjoy a margarita nor 2 and that isn't included in the regular bev package, only in the upgrade

19 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

You can't upgrade just 1 person before the cruise, but you can once onboard. Many people wait until Day 3.

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022271234-Do-both-guests-need-to-upgrade-the-beverage-package

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cruising Maryland said:

It really isn't the when, I enjoy a margarita nor 2 and that isn't included in the regular bev package, only in the upgrade

True.  

19 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

You can't upgrade just 1 person before the cruise, but you can once onboard. Many people wait until Day 3.

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022271234-Do-both-guests-need-to-upgrade-the-beverage-package

What is the reason for waiting until Day 3?  Do drinks purchased before then stay on your folio or be folded into the package price?  (I guess that is more a question of whether the $20 upcharge is retroactive to the day you board?)

26 minutes ago, loriva said:

What is the reason for waiting until Day 3?...

There is a Captain's Party early in the cruise where you get to drink for free for a couple of hours. And the Repeaters get their Repeater Party with free drinks that evening. And sometimes there is a Newbies Party with free drinks for them. Get those free drink evenings done first... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, loriva said:

What is the reason for waiting until Day 3?  Do drinks purchased before then stay on your folio or be folded into the package price?  (I guess that is more a question of whether the $20 upcharge is retroactive to the day you board?)

The $30.00 pp is not retroactive so many people wait a day or two to see if it makes $$$ sense to purchase the upgrade. Also, there is the Captain's party which provides free drinks for several hours in all bars on the second or third night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, basor said:

The $30.00 pp is not retroactive so many people wait a day or two to see if it makes $$$ sense to purchase the upgrade. Also, there is the Captain's party which provides free drinks for several hours in all bars on the second or third night.

There must be a cut off time though, correct? Can’t wait a week into your cruise I would assume? 😬😆 

6 hours ago, loriva said:

We took a cruise five or so years ago and when we entered Brazilian waters the taxes on drinks were 25% if I remember right.  We bought the drink package for what I remember (and remember I don't remember much) the last three or four days.  It was a Transatlantic and from Barcelona to Rio for what I think was 14 days.  They had no problem with us buying the package for the last few days.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, durberville said:

There must be a cut off time though, correct? Can’t wait a week into your cruise I would assume? 😬😆 

I believe the only restriction is that once you buy it, it can't be cancelled (although if continuing on the next cruise, I don't think you are required to continue with the package). So, you couldn't buy it for days 8-10 and then not have it for days 11-12; you'd have to buy it for days 8-12.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I believe the only restriction is that once you buy it, it can't be cancelled (although if continuing on the next cruise, I don't think you are required to continue with the package). So, you couldn't buy it for days 8-10 and then not have it for days 11-12; you'd have to buy it for days 8-12.

Well that is intriguing! We will be on a 25 night cruise (one segment) and the upgrade might be worth it for the very long “sea days” section later on the ship’s itinerary. I realize you can’t pick and choose days and once started we would be charged for the remaining days. (This will be our first time on Oceania, we buy or upgrade to the premium drink package on Celebrity but I think they have a one or two day cut off after boarding - maybe not) Anyhoo -  Thanks, I will look into it. 👍🏻

42 minutes ago, durberville said:

Well that is intriguing! We will be on a 25 night cruise (one segment) and the upgrade might be worth it for the very long “sea days” section later on the ship’s itinerary. I realize you can’t pick and choose days and once started we would be charged for the remaining days. (This will be our first time on Oceania, we buy or upgrade to the premium drink package on Celebrity but I think they have a one or two day cut off after boarding - maybe not) Anyhoo -  Thanks, I will look into it. 👍🏻

If you want to be sure, check when you board since rules can change.

• Like 3

On 8/13/2024 at 1:40 AM, durberville said:

Our TA told us the onboard upgrade must be purchased within 3 days of boarding.

4 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Our TA told us the onboard upgrade must be purchased within 3 days of boarding.

I am afraid your TA is not correct - we have never purchased the upgrade prior to boarding..

1 hour ago, durberville said:

Ah, thank you. That is indeed more in keeping with other lines we’ve experienced. 

That is incorrect information as has been shown by all of the people who have discussed purchasing onboard and waiting several days to purchase onboard

4 minutes ago, basor said:

That is incorrect information as has been shown by all of the people who have discussed purchasing onboard and waiting several days to purchase onboard

I think they were sayiong within 3 days after boarding. You don't have to do it before boarding, but you can't wait for a week or 2 to buy the upgrade

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruising Maryland said:

I think they were sayiong within 3 days after boarding. You don't have to do it before boarding, but you can't wait for a week or 2 to buy the upgrade

Also not true - I personally know of people who have waited to buy the package in the middle of a long front end port intensive cruise so they can enjoy on the back end sea days as they cross the Atlantic....

One other thought is if you want to pre-purchase, it must be done at least 3 days prior to boarding (for correct paperwork to get to ship), otherwise you can purchase onboard...