Pre-Cruise comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

3 minutes ago, basor said:

I have heard from others that have stayed in a suite, were contacted by concierge prior to embarkation.  You might check with @Sthrngary who sailed in a suite for the first time on O a few months ago.  He gave a comprehensive review of his experience.   I found this list for you 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1002906&key=3f93a9757c12fd02f46cb49ffe5db185. Hope this helps....I would think your TA would be happy to assist you with all of this.

@basor and @Jim_Iain, I was called months before my cruise.  At the time, I was NOT in the Vista Suite, I was in a Penthouse.  We upgraded to the Vista suite later on (Long Story).  I asked lost of other people if the same thing happened to them with an early call.  I was told no, that was very unusual.  That is my story and I am sticking to it.  Happy to answer any other question on the subject.  Just ask.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Our TA has always provided a list of the included choices and arranged for those items to be waiting in our suite. Also, if there is a special mixer or soda brand, that too, can be ordered thru your TA. Some items may not be available, but they always try their best. 

enjoy your cruise!

k🚢

• Like 1

5 hours ago, basor said:

I have heard from others that have stayed in a suite, were contacted by concierge prior to embarkation.  You might check with @Sthrngary who sailed in a suite for the first time on O a few months ago.  He gave a comprehensive review of his experience.   I found this list for you 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1002906&key=3f93a9757c12fd02f46cb49ffe5db185. Hope this helps....I would think your TA would be happy to assist you with all of this.

Perfect.   That like is exactly what I was looking for.    I don't drink but as the one that does all the bookings I was trying to get things in order.   

The pdf says to simply press 2 on your stateroom phone and let your butler know your selection.    We will probably just do that.    Iain doesn't have a drink until about 7PM so we will have plenty of time to have it sorted out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@basor and @Jim_Iain, I was called months before my cruise.  At the time, I was NOT in the Vista Suite, I was in a Penthouse.  We upgraded to the Vista suite later on (Long Story).  I asked lost of other people if the same thing happened to them with an early call.  I was told no, that was very unusual.  That is my story and I am sticking to it.  Happy to answer any other question on the subject.  Just ask.

Thanks Gary,   I may just have my Agent take care of it tomorrow.    We booked the Vista Suite on this cruise in January so not a new booking.   I'm happy they took care of you and maybe they just missed us.  

I followed you last live post and really enjoyed it.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GrammieK said:

Our TA has always provided a list of the included choices and arranged for those items to be waiting in our suite. Also, if there is a special mixer or soda brand, that too, can be ordered thru your TA. Some items may not be available, but they always try their best. 

enjoy your cruise!

k🚢

Thanks... Learning so much here.   To be honest it is often the same on Celebrity.   They contact all suite passengers -p  usually by email for Sky Suites and Phone Calls and Emails to Celebrity Suites and above. 

Barely a week goes by without someone asking when they should be contacted or that they were never contacted.   I believe it depends on the Shore side Concierge assigned to the particular ship.

• Like 2

I have  question for some of the seasoned Oceania cruisers. 

RE:  6 Bottles of Booze with Room

Can you send a bottle to the dining room to enjoy with your dinner.   I thought I had read that somewhere.    The flyer that @basor directed me to seem to indicate that it is for enjoyment in your suite.

image.thumb.png.f28d7b717cce0d1b05f35f27589b027e.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have  question for some of the seasoned Oceania cruisers. 

RE:  6 Bottles of Booze with Room

Can you send a bottle to the dining room to enjoy with your dinner.   I thought I had read that somewhere.    The flyer that @basor directed me to seem to indicate that it is for enjoyment in your suite.

image.thumb.png.f28d7b717cce0d1b05f35f27589b027e.png

We have found any wine, champagne that is provided by O as an amenity can be taken to any dining venue with no corkage charge.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, basor said:

We have found any wine, champagne that is provided by O as an amenity can be taken to any dining venue with no corkage charge.  

Thanks.... I guess we will find that out once on board.   I just couldn't see how on could possibly consume 6 bottles on a 9 day cruise.   BTW - I don't drink but Iain does.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.... I guess we will find that out once on board.   I just couldn't see how on could possibly consume 6 bottles on a 9 day cruise.   BTW - I don't drink but Iain does.

@Jim_Iain Your question about bringing wine to the main dining room that was provided with the upper end suites seems to have been answered.  I also had unopened bottles of spirits that we never opened.  I brought them back home with me.  

You said you don't drink but Lain does.  So you will have a lot of spirits / wine that is unopened.  There are bags you can buy for safe transport.  As it relates to wine.  Oceania allows you to bring both spirits and wine onboard.  We were in Europe and my wife loves white wine.  I would make part of my routine at port, to find two bottle of wine for my wife.  This left more bottles of spirits in the room.

On another front, I think you have a Vista Suite.  The gift box of soaps, and other items really is nice.  However, it is also big.  We made sure we had extra room in our luggage for these items coming back home.  The Gift Box is in our guest room.

Front of the ship when sailing is windy.  However when docked at a nice port is a GREAT place for a lovely breakfast on your balcony.  I did not think I would like it but it was very nice, especially with coffee.  I had my butler bring me coffee from the Barista every morning.  The bedroom is separate from the indoor dining room so it never disturbed us.  

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Jim_Iain Your question about bringing wine to the main dining room that was provided with the upper end suites seems to have been answered.  I also had unopened bottles of spirits that we never opened.  I brought them back home with me.  

You said you don't drink but Lain does.  So you will have a lot of spirits / wine that is unopened.  There are bags you can buy for safe transport.  As it relates to wine.  Oceania allows you to bring both spirits and wine onboard.  We were in Europe and my wife loves white wine.  I would make part of my routine at port, to find two bottle of wine for my wife.  This left more bottles of spirits in the room.

On another front, I think you have a Vista Suite.  The gift box of soaps, and other items really is nice.  However, it is also big.  We made sure we had extra room in our luggage for these items coming back home.  The Gift Box is in our guest room.

Front of the ship when sailing is windy.  However when docked at a nice port is a GREAT place for a lovely breakfast on your balcony.  I did not think I would like it but it was very nice, especially with coffee.  I had my butler bring me coffee from the Barista every morning.  The bedroom is separate from the indoor dining room so it never disturbed us.  

Thanks Gary.    We may be able to bring 2 Liter bottles of Gray Goose back but our Duty Free Limit will be one Liter Bottle each.  I'm sure that if we can send a bottle to the dining room it will work.

The advise on the forward facing Vista Suite was understood when we booked.   We would very rarely use out deck while at sea but I booked it on purpose for both the Inland Passage Way and the approach to the Glacier Fjord.    With the normal Mid September temperatures in Alaska I doubted we would be using it much except to go out on for sight seeing. 

• Thanks 1

Jim,

Our experience is you can bring back as much liquor and wine as you want.  Yes, there is supposed to be a limit but years ago I was stopped randomly coming back from Germany.  I had 8 bottles of wine in my suitcase, and I was traveling alone.  The woman from customs who inspected my suitcase said they never stop people from bringing in wine and spirits past the limit as the paperwork would take way too much time.  I think my husband broke the record when he brought home 13 bottles of wine from Chile years ago.  And no, not one of them broke.

The past few years when going through passport control it seems like all they care about is that my facial recognition matches my passport picture.  We hadn't had to fill out one of the forms that you tell what you have bought while traveling for quite some time.  But last year coming into Chicago we were given the form on the plane.  We filled them out but were never asked for them until we were leaving the room and some woman said, "I need your international travel form.  It doesn't matter if you've filled it out or not, I just need the form."  Government employees at their best.

This has just been our experience, but we've never had a problem.  My husband worked for a French company and traveled to France often.  And believe me, he brought home a lot of wine. 

Do what you feel comfortable with but this is our experiences and if Iain would enjoy it at home and it's in your suitcases, I don't think there would be a problem bringing it home.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iowananny said:

The woman from customs who inspected my suitcase said they never stop people from bringing in wine and spirits

Gosh,. It must be great to have customs staff who don't enforce their own rules. Not the case if you're entering the UK where, depending on where you've come from, you have a realistic chance of being searched. Depending on how much you are over the limit, at best your goods may be confiscated, at worst you face prosecution.  

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Gosh,. It must be great to have customs staff who don't enforce their own rules. Not the case if you're entering the UK where, depending on where you've come from, you have a realistic chance of being searched. Depending on how much you are over the limit, at best your goods may be confiscated, at worst you face prosecution.  

Wait.  What am I missing here? If you bring in wine or spirits over the “duty free” amount you simply declare them…and pay the duty. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I just couldn't see how on could possibly consume 6 bottles on a 9 day cruise. 

Hmm, to me that seems about three bottles of wine short.  Easy to have one bottle when  you drink wine with both lunch and dinner 🙂 .. or maybe I am just a lush !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, durberville said:

Wait.  What am I missing here? If you bring in wine or spirits over the “duty free” amount you simply declare them…and pay the duty. 

I have brought back both alcohol and jewelry that exceeded the customs limit on cruises, filled out the information on the form and never asked to pay any duty.  I guess it's hit and miss.  Lately, as others have commented, we have not even been given any forms to fill out when returning on a ship.   When flying in from Japan last year we were asked if we had anything to declare truthfully said no, and were waved on our way. 

How much alcohol we bring back is normally determined by how much room we have in our luggage. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Hmm, to me that seems about three bottles of wine short.  Easy to have one bottle when  you drink wine with both lunch and dinner 🙂 .. or maybe I am just a lush !

I think they are referring to 6 bottles of spirits, not wine.  If wine, I’m onboard with you!! 

Edited by EJL2023

DaKahuna, we're like you.  We've never lied about the wine and spirits we bring back.  We would be willing to pay duty taxes but in our last 30 years of traveling internationally, no one has ever asked for it.  In the last three years we've been through Heathrow 3 times and no one ever cared about what we were bringing in.  It's always the same, look in the camera, it matches your passport, you're free to go.  

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Saw this interesting article on the new pricing ---Is not a deal for Oceania Cruisers.   It pointed out that part of the "enhancement" is elimination of the drinks package.

https://thepointsguy.com/cruise/cruise-line-replaces-free-alcohol-gratuities/

Thanks for the link.  That explains it all more clearly,

3 hours ago, durberville said:

What am I missing here

You're missing the many people who know they are over the limit but deliberately do not declare them. Effectively trying to smuggle the goods into the country. 

The partner of an ex-colleague of mine drove lorries across Europe. He would usually stop in Belgium and buy large quantities of cigarettes to resell in the UK. Washing machine powder was also a bootleg product for him. That is, until  customs stopped his vehicle at Dover and found all the goods. Everything confiscated and a large fine. Shame really, the cigs were still very cheap in comparison with British retail prices. 

10 minutes ago, Harters said:

You're missing the many people who know they are over the limit but deliberately do not declare them. Effectively trying to smuggle the goods into the country. 

The partner of an ex-colleague of mine drove lorries across Europe. He would usually stop in Belgium and buy large quantities of cigarettes to resell in the UK. Washing machine powder was also a bootleg product for him. That is, until  customs stopped his vehicle at Dover and found all the goods. Everything confiscated and a large fine. Shame really, the cigs were still very cheap in comparison with British retail prices. 

We are really good about not violating regulations.   We really value our Global Entry and being caught violating customs is grounds for voiding membership.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kay S said:

Thanks for the link.  That explains it all more clearly,

It was pointed out to me on another thread that they eliminated the free Wine and Beer with meals on Oceania.   I was mistaken thinking they were talking about a drink package which is not included in Simply More.

I can understand where many are upset by this.

• Like 2

When asked if I had anything to declare I said, “yes, I declare that I am handsome, rich, and intelligent”. When they got done laughing they waved me on my way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 9/7/2024 at 12:26 PM, durberville said:

17 hours ago, Harters said:

Everyone loves a smartarse. 😀

I can tell there is some smugglers around here. But that’s beside the point

what I never understand people buying liquor in duty free  shops and carry them 

The prices are much higher  that you pay in the states especially  COSTCO