Cove balconies

CAVE MAN

2 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Ah! We're booked for our first cruise on the Sun later this year. Thanks for setting me straight!

I didn't set anybody straight, sorry.  We've booked on the SUN P, so I knew about the COVE balconys when we were researching cabins.  I know nothing about them and felt no need to post to the OP telling them that.  Have a great cruise on SUN P

The cabin itself is the same as any other balcony cabin aboard 

The balcony is fully enclosed in the hull, like the old cruise ships when balconies first began, and they're lower down, nearer the water line, completely unobstructed views looking out and looking done (unlike non-cove balconies which the  majority look down onto either the Cabana.deck or promenade deck Eatery cover).

There is a metal door that can be closed,. blocking access to the balcony, in case of high seas or some sort of other safety situation (there was one time in Barcelona with letter saying the doors would be closed and no balcony access as they fueled, but that hasn't been repeated, to my knowledge).

Personally wouldn't hesitate, great cabins, low down for less movement, fully private balcony, and lower price, what's not to like?

Enjoy 

FB_IMG_1722813147009.jpg

FB_IMG_1722813142817.jpg

• Like 2

We had 3 cabins with this type of balcony on the Island Princess last year. They are on lower floors, near the back of the ship. The extra enclosure was especially nice during wind and rain since we were traveling to Iceland.

Posted (edited)

On The Sun P. I believe the category room is a DG ( cove balcony) and they’re on deck 6. I don’t think I would want one of those personally as above your head is deck 7  with all the public areas( Good spirits,Crown grill,Princess Live, O’ Malley’s etc.) and no staterooms above you. Noise might not an issue??

Edited by arizonaperson

1 hour ago, arizonaperson said:

On The Sun P. I believe the category room is a DG ( cove balcony) and they’re on deck 6. I don’t think I would want one of those personally as above your head is deck 7  with all the public areas( Good spirits,Crown grill,Princess Live, O’ Malley’s etc.) and no staterooms above you. Noise might not an issue??

I thought that also , we had a Cove on Carnival once ,loved the Cabin but was like sleeping under a bowling alley from 2 am on . 

This is a new category for Princess but I had one on the Carnival Magic and it was the best balcony cabin I ever had. I loved being close to the ocean and as many have said when you look straight down there are no obstruction as is the case of most regular balcony cabins these days. Another benefit, since these cabins are on a low deck, when you get back from port you can just walk up a flight or two of steps (if you don’t have any mobility issues) instead of waiting for an elevator. Only con I could think of is that they will close off the balcony in rough seas.

On 8/13/2024 at 1:38 PM, reedprincess said:

The cabin itself is the same as any other balcony cabin aboard 

The balcony is fully enclosed in the hull, like the old cruise ships when balconies first began, and they're lower down, nearer the water line, completely unobstructed views looking out and looking done (unlike non-cove balconies which the  majority look down onto either the Cabana.deck or promenade deck Eatery cover).

There is a metal door that can be closed,. blocking access to the balcony, in case of high seas or some sort of other safety situation (there was one time in Barcelona with letter saying the doors would be closed and no balcony access as they fueled, but that hasn't been repeated, to my knowledge).

Personally wouldn't hesitate, great cabins, low down for less movement, fully private balcony, and lower price, what's not to like?

Enjoy 

FB_IMG_1722813147009.jpg

FB_IMG_1722813142817.jpg

Thank you so much for replying to my questions about the Cove Balcony. We have always had a balcony and thought it would be nice to have a little more privacy and be closer to the water. Really looking forward to this new ship and what it has to offer. We do a lot of Celebrity and Holland cruises in Europe. Haven't been to the Caribbean in a long time, but this new ship sounded so interesting, we wanted to see it for ourselves. We are celebrating our 60 Wedding Anniversary on the ship and wanted something a little different. When we were younger we did a lot of Princess Cruises, went on the old Sun Princess many times. Again, thank you, I feel good about the choice we made.

8 hours ago, nycruiser80 said:

This is a new category for Princess but I had one on the Carnival Magic and it was the best balcony cabin I ever had. I loved being close to the ocean and as many have said when you look straight down there are no obstruction as is the case of most regular balcony cabins these days. Another benefit, since these cabins are on a low deck, when you get back from port you can just walk up a flight or two of steps (if you don’t have any mobility issues) instead of waiting for an elevator. Only con I could think of is that they will close off the balcony in rough seas.

Thank you for your reply. I am with you. I thought being close to the water would be so nice!!!  Hoping it won't be too noisy with 7 above us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, CAVE MAN said:

Thank you so much for replying to my questions about the Cove Balcony. We have always had a balcony and thought it would be nice to have a little more privacy and be closer to the water. Really looking forward to this new ship and what it has to offer. We do a lot of Celebrity and Holland cruises in Europe. Haven't been to the Caribbean in a long time, but this new ship sounded so interesting, we wanted to see it for ourselves. We are celebrating our 60 Wedding Anniversary on the ship and wanted something a little different. When we were younger we did a lot of Princess Cruises, went on the old Sun Princess many times. Again, thank you, I feel good about the choice we made.

Have a wonderful time!

If you've sailed the old Sun in balcony cabins, then the "Cove" balcony won't be any big surprise - it's basically the same type of thing, except lower to the water line...no overlook, metal all around, nothing hitting below, completely private, etc. very similar to balcony cabins on the old Sun...

Happy sails! 60 years, congratulations!

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1