LIVE from the Rotterdam’s Best of Norway: August 17-31, 2024

1 hour ago, maraena said:

Did they bring experts on for the lectures or is it the CD reading from a scripted powerpoint?

They were scripted.  I usually go see them once.  We did have experts on our 22 day SA & Antarctica cruise on the Oosterdam in February.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2024 at 8:10 PM, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

To really see the very far north and come close to the polar ice cap, you should do the cruise that includes Spitzbergen.  They used to do it once a year in late July or early August.

I'm not sure HAL will go there in the future given the severe limits on how they have to  operate:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/    /cruises/articles/norways-svalbard-archipelago-sets-strict-cruise-limits 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

@VMax1700 @Quartzsite Cruiser I decided to take a chance on the Northern Lights and booked this cruise while onboard.  There are 3 ports above the Arctic Circle.  All ports will be new except Bergen which I hope to see on a sunny day.

That looks a great itinerary.  Lerwick is lovely, but a tender port and can be missed sometimes.

As to Bergen......on our four visits there we have had one sunny day.  On the other three the precipitation has been moderate twice and torrential once.  So good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

@VMax1700 @Quartzsite Cruiser I decided to take a chance on the Northern Lights and booked this cruise while onboard.  There are 3 ports above the Arctic Circle.  All ports will be new except Bergen which I hope to see on a sunny day.IMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.e25bee40421d9637fd3176119ebbf1b8.jpeg

The cruise looks interesting.  I hope you can see the Northern Lights, just remember they are harder to see when the sun is up most of the time.

Safe travels home.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

just remember they are harder to see when the sun is up most of the time.

It is the last Norwegian cruise of the season in October.  I also booked the transatlantic that follows it to sail us home.  Regardless of the Northern lights, I am excited to travel north of the Arctic Circle.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 0106 said:

It is the last Norwegian cruise of the season in October.  I also booked the transatlantic that follows it to sail us home.  Regardless of the Northern lights, I am excited to travel north of the Arctic Circle.

You have a great chance of Aurora Borealis sightings in October as the night skies will be darker.  We had some sighting in early September 2022 on Rotterdam.  The captain turned the lights out on the upper decks and quite a crowd of pax and staff where up top.  It was cold and exposed up there!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

The October cruise should give you a good chance to see the Northern Lights, especially that far north.  We saw them in mid-September near Fairbanks.  

• Thanks 1

Just found this thread today. Great way to read so I don’t have to wait between days for new reports!

Your photos of your journey were lovely as usual and I appreciate you sharing your experiences. 

Based on your comments, I looked into the October 2026 voyage with added TA and not many cabins are available online. Were you able to get an aft when you booked on board?  Were there any special bonuses for booking on board or was it the FCD credit?  Finally, did you book as two separate cruises or did you do the 27 day as one cruise? If you can book as two separate cruises it seems you have the opportunity to get a lot more OBC although would have to see cost difference in fare. 

thanks!

Edited by Ready2go11

Were you able to get an aft when you booked on board?  I wanted the same cabin for both legs.  I could not get a deck 8 aft for the Norway portion and like to be on a higher floor.  I would only consider cabins for 2 so I did not get moved and no connecting cabins.  I settled on a cabin in the aft portion of the ship on deck 7.

Are there any special bonuses for booking on board or was it the FCD credit?  I received $300 pp for Norway and $150 pp for the transatlantic with a $100pp deposit for each segment.

Finally, did you book as two separate cruises or did you do the 27 day as one cruise? If you can book as two separate cruises it seems you have the opportunity to get a lot more OBC although would have to see cost difference in fare. The cruise consult was very patient with me; I was with her for 45 minutes.  We priced all the different scenarios.  Booking as a b2b was slightly less expensive but I could get more OBC with two separate cruises and it worked out better for me.

• Like 3