Are you limited to 3 meals a day on HAL ?

3 minutes ago, RileyFox said:

Hello, 

Can you eat as much as you want, any time you want?
Do you have to show any ID to eat?
Does Holland America keep up with how much you eat?
Thanks

Riley Fox

They do ask for your cabin number when you arrive at the MDR, however you can eat as much as you want. You can order multiple entrees and side dishes. There are a few upcharge items in the MDR. You can eat as much as you want in the Lido and room service. Hours for the Ludo and MDR are posted and you can go as frequently as you want.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RileyFox said:

Hello, 

Thanks

Riley Fox

Yes... eat as much as you want. All day, everyday.

No ID required. (WT?)

No, HAL doesn't care how much you eat... just please do NOT waste food.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I sure hope not.  I plan my entire day around at least 5 meals, the usual times, plus a mid day burger and fries break and an early breakfast as the Lido is opening when everything's nice and fresh, several hours later I go to the MDR for the more formal breakfast.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

Though this may be a "tongue in cheek" question, one of my friends - who has never cruised - asked me the exact same question!  And to be honest, it was something I wondered before my first cruise.  So............  🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm  the first one to call out a suspected  "pot stirrer" - to myself, don't want to get in trouble with the HAL mods by posting,  but I think you all are being a little harsh here.  

If you follow this  board, you'd see that this is a new cruiser - many of the questions they ask are answered after being on a ship just once. I've chuckled at some of the rookie questions, but have enjoyed reading this poster's obvious excitement about a first cruise.  They have asked questions here starting with cabin type and location, booking, etc. 

I'm  giving this one a pass, and saving my derision for the ones I know are just posting to cause controversy or a reaction. 

• Like 9

This happened on NCL, not HAL, so it's not a precedent. NCL organizes activities for solo passengers, even on ship that don't have studio cabins, and assigns someone from the cruise director's staff to host them. Usually there is a gathering at cocktail hour, after which those who want to will go to the MDR together.

Once, on one of the smaller ships that didn't have single cabins, it was a small but cohesive group. On any given night, two or three would have reservations for specialty dining. Those with specialty reservations started going along to the MDR with the rest of the group, but only having salad and then leaving for the specialty restaurant.

The MDR hosts always noticed this as we checked in, and asked if we wanted to cancel our specialty-dining reservations. It did not cause any problem; the specialty reservations weren't automatically cancelled, but the computer prompted the hosts to ask.

Brings up a question I’ve often had:  Could you, in theory, check in for a meal in the MDR (dinner, for example) twice ?

IE could you eat early, leave, and go in again ?  I’ve never done it, but often wondered if one could……

• Like 2

The late great Erma Bombeck stated in her writings of having the alarm set for the midnight buffet on one of her cruises.  Back in the day when they used to do midnight buffets, I haven't seen one in years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunther1 said:

Brings up a question I’ve often had:  Could you, in theory, check in for a meal in the MDR (dinner, for example) twice ?

IE could you eat early, leave, and go in again ?  I’ve never done it, but often wondered if one could……

It could go something like this:

Question: Would you like early or late seating?

Answer: Yes

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

@RileyFox welcome to CC!!

You are welcome to eat as frequently and as much (or little) as you like. You are permitted to eat at the buffet and MDR, as well as any dining venue - no issues.

Safe travels- your your cruise!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, bajae said:

If someone is new to cruising they will not know what cruising entails, thus they are here finding out. It doesn't hurt to be kind. 

At least nobody responded with "use the search feature for existing threads", which is what I recently got on another cruise line's board that will remain nameless.  HAL cruisers are pretty helpful.  I think everybody was just having some fun.  

In defense of that, I do check for past threads, but much of it is not current or it's pre-covid restart.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

I can only eat two meals a day.

That's how my late Dear Dad was, I was the foodie in the group.  He was the late sleeper/napper, so I'd do my extra eating while he took his extra naps.  

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RileyFox said:

Hello, 

Thanks

Riley Fox

Well, OP, there you have it: eat when and what you wish.

BTW: there is precedent. Table by us for dinner in Main Dining Room. Late 20s? male ordered:  3 appetizers, 2 entrees, 3 desserts and he ate it all. This was back when portion sizes were much larger.

Edited by SilvertoGold

55 minutes ago, atexsix said:

At least nobody responded with "use the search feature for existing threads", which is what I recently got on another cruise line's board that will remain nameless.  HAL cruisers are pretty helpful.  I think everybody was just having some fun.  

In defense of that, I do check for past threads, but much of it is not current or it's pre-covid restart.

I tried to search the threads. I  guess it was such a simple answer that noone had ever asked it.

• Like 5

Just now, RileyFox said:

I tried to search the threads. I  guess it was such a simple answer that noone had ever asked it.

And personally I am glad you asked it!  I know I thought about it before my first cruise because I eat at very odd times ( when I am hungry) not at traditional eating times. I hope YOU and yours have a fab time!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I'm  the first one to call out a suspected  "pot stirrer" - to myself, don't want to get in trouble with the HAL mods by posting,  but I think you all are being a little harsh here.  

If you follow this  board, you'd see that this is a new cruiser - many of the questions they ask are answered after being on a ship just once. I've chuckled at some of the rookie questions, but have enjoyed reading this poster's obvious excitement about a first cruise.  They have asked questions here starting with cabin type and location, booking, etc. 

I'm  giving this one a pass, and saving my derision for the ones I know are just posting to cause controversy or a reaction. 

Actually I have never been on a cruise.  I put Viking down as my favorite because oneday i hope to be able to afford them.  So in reality they are my favorite.  I will go and take Viking off my profile/  Thank you for understanding.

• Like 2

Just now, RileyFox said:

Actually I have never been on a cruise.  I put Viking down as my favorite because oneday i hope to be able to afford them.  So in reality they are my favorite.  I will go and take Viking off my profile/  Thank you for understanding.

Don’t do that. 🥰

I am the original poster.   I have never been on a cruise and was confused because some folks said they paid $29 for dinner,.  I now understand that they went to the fine dining room and that is extra. 

We are going on a HAL cruise next MAY.  I have never been on a cruise and put down Viking and Greece as my favorite because that is a dream.   

I promised i was not meaning to cause disruption.  I tried to search this subject before I posted and i kept see where people had paid to eat.

I am truly sorry. 

• Like 7