First time sailing Celebrity and first time cruising to Alaska (Honeymoon)-

I've only cruised twice (both times on Symphony of the Seas).  

My fiance (46F) has hinted several times that cruising to Alaska is on her bucket list.  So for our honeymoon I want to surprise her with an Alaskan cruise.

I know close to nothing about Alaska and very little about Celebrity ships.

I did some preliminary research and it seems like Celebrity Edge (late May sailings) could be the best for what we are looking for (not too many kids on summer break, good weather and whale watching)???

We won't be doing The Retreat or large suites.  It is not in my budget. The room with the floor to ceiling windows has me intrigued.  My fiance typically likes to stay in an interior cabin.  We did that on Symphony and she really liked it.  

We will fly from Miami the day prior to embarkation.  What is more ideal?   Sailing out of Seattle or a different city?  Are there any "must-do" excursions if this will be our first (and potentially last) cruise to Alaska?  

Recap:

-what Celebrity ship would you recommend?

-what month would you recommend if we want not too many children on summer break, good weather and good potential to see whales

-"must do once" excursions

-Have you had good experiences with the deluxe drink package/specialty restaurants

-how far in advance should we book to get mid ship/best price (I noticed that the May 2025 booking on Edge has very few options for what part of the ship/deck you're on etc)

Any other suggestions that I did not cover are very much appreciated.

Thank you!!

IMO, definitely book a balcony as the view is spectacular. On E class ships, not sure how many  true balconies there are outside of suites,  but infinite - think window that drops down. 

In Sitka, we did the Raptor Rehab Center which was amazing  Lots of rescues even in enclosures outside

Ketchikan, we walked around. Not far from the pier is the old, as in original section that has been restored. A museum called Dolly’s House (she was the Madame during gold rush days and house has been kept much like it was when she lived there).  Many little shops in this area

We went 2nd last week of May and lucked into great weather and few children. Schools are out in Canada at the end of June 

We sailed into Disenchantment Bay. Ship does a 180 degree so everyone gets a good view

Tips:  bring clothes to layer and rain gear, just in case..  Binoculars.  

Happy planning

Congratulations

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

My suggestion would be to talk with a travel agent as they would be in the best position to help you sort out itineraries, ships, staterooms, flights, and tailor it to your budget.

That being said I will point out the difference in the cruise line from your experience with RCI Symphony.   RCI's primary target demographics is families, and as you have experienced their ships have venues oriented to address families. 

Celebrity's primary target demographics is adults 45+/-, and they have none of the venues that RCI has in their effort to address that demographic.  This also translates to a more laid back and traditional cruise atmosphere with far less children.  Celebrity's ships are also smaller with typically less than 3,000 passengers.

In other words, the two cruise lines are essentially polar opposites of each other.  I think you need to focus on itinerary comparisons to help guide your ship choice with Celebrity and, as I said, I would consult a travel agent.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Our favorite excursions in Alaska were the Dawes glacier boat. It picks you up from the ship and then goes super close to the Glacier.  The other was a helicopter ride with a glacier landing. These two excursions were really pricey, but the experience was unparalleled.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

My suggestion would be to talk with a travel agent as they would be in the best position to help you sort out itineraries, ships, staterooms, flights, and tailor it to your budget.

That being said I will point out the difference in the cruise line from your experience with RCI Symphony.   RCI's primary target demographics is families, and as you have experienced their ships have venues oriented to address families. 

Celebrity's primary target demographics is adults 45+/-, and they have none of the venues that RCI has in their effort to address that demographic.  This also translates to a more laid back and traditional cruise atmosphere with far less children.  Celebrities ships are also smaller with typically less than 3,000 passengers.

In other words, the two cruise lines are essentially polar opposites of each other.  I think you need to focus on itinerary comparisons to help guide your ship choice with Celebrity and, as I said, I would consult a travel agent.

Thank you for clearing that up.  All of our children are adults now (so we aren't anti-kids haha) but we are looking for a more laid back experience so this is great news!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

Our favorite excursions in Alaska were the Dawes glacier boat. It picks you up from the ship and then goes super close to the Glacier.  The other was a helicopter ride with a glacier landing. These two excursions were really pricey, but the experience was unparalleled.  

I will be sure to look into the Dawes glacier boat.

I personally have a No-Helicopters policy but that does sound very awesome.

32 minutes ago, Margin Walker said:

My fiance (46F) has hinted several times that cruising to Alaska is on her bucket list.  So for our honeymoon I want to surprise her with an Alaskan cruise.

I did some preliminary research and it seems like Celebrity Edge (late May sailings) could be the best for what we are looking for (not too many kids on summer break, good weather and whale watching)???

We won't be doing The Retreat or large suites.  It is not in my budget. The room with the floor to ceiling windows has me intrigued.  My fiance typically likes to stay in an interior cabin.  We did that on Symphony and she really liked it.  

We will fly from Miami the day prior to embarkation.  What is more ideal?   Sailing out of Seattle or a different city?  Are there any "must-do" excursions if this will be our first (and potentially last) cruise to Alaska?  

Recap:

-what month would you recommend if we want not too many children on summer break, good weather and good potential to see whales

-Have you had good experiences with the deluxe drink package/specialty restaurants

-how far in advance should we book to get mid ship/best price (I noticed that the May 2025 booking on Edge has very few options for what part of the ship/deck you're on etc)

Any other suggestions that I did not cover are very much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Here’s are pictures of the infinite veranda view in Edge (ship option out of Seattle). We loved it.

IMG_7582.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

• Like 3

you are on the right track.. There are several current reviews on Cruise Critic now..  scroll through and  give them a read....great photis too...

we like the Inf Veranda.. not a real balc but  has other benefits esp in Alaska. Edge is a great ship..we manage with the classic/ basic alc  plan...

CONGRATS!

photo is from recent review by Mac. tic

IMG_7025.thumb.jpeg.c4e143c8ba687200723686688e248857.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Personally, I'd look at Princess over Celebrity solely for the inclusion of Glacier Bay.

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  Thank you.  

This info lead me into the realization that flying into Vancouver (as opposed to Seattle) might be something to look into.

12 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Personally, I'd look at Princess over Celebrity solely for the inclusion of Glacier Bay.

I agree with this. Glacier Bay is spectacular and not to be missed. I believe that Holland America goes into Glacier Bay as well

• Like 2

Some could probably write a book answering your questions so I'll try and make this very short. 

I have been on 7 different cruise lines and multi cruises.  Celebrity is the only line that I would say any ship would be fine.  However, I always lean toward newer and bigger.  More to do onboard so pick Summit last. 

As for kids, we were on the Summit last year in August.  Very few kids and they were all behaved.  NCL, Carnival and Royal are another story.  They cater to families and Celebrity doesn't so this wouldn't even be an issue. 

Weather can change quickly.  I would lean towards June July for better weather but thats always a risk.  We have always gone in August and had mostly sunny weather.  Bring layers, small collapsible Umbrellas, Sunglasses and bug spray.  Weather can be 80 and sunny or 45 and Rainey.  

As for excursions, thats like food preference.  I hated the Skagway train and we also did a Van tour to the Yukon I didn't like.  Boring and way too long....However, most people enjoy both.  So watch youtube videos on excursions first.  

I have never had any problems with the drink package on any line.  But I do tend to use it too much so thats a problem.  Add up what you will drink per day, do the math.  

Cabins are important to me as far as location.  Ships are huge and I prefer to be near an elevator.  I also want to be one/two floors below a top deck ( I know,  noise from above but it hasn't been bad).  My reasoning is elevators tend to be slow and packed.  I use the stairs.  

Binoculars are very important.  DO NOT think a small cheap pair will be fine.  We did once.  Mistake.  Get or borrow a really good pair.  Most of the wildlife we saw was way off in the distance.  Small and cheap binoculars have terrible focus, range and way too jumpy.  

• Like 4

I have been fortunate to sail to Alaska MANY times and on many cruise lines. They all have pluses and minuses. Generally speaking Alaska cruises are more about the itinerary vs the ship/line, but since this would be for a  honeymoon I assume you would also prefer a more laid back, adult experience and to spoil yourselves at least a little.  Whatever line and ship you choose, be sure to look at time in port along with the ports themselves and take tendering into account. I would also second the suggestion of finding an experienced TA who could help you find a good balance of price and itinerary.  Whatever you decide, congratulations and have a wonderful time.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

20240709_113331.thumb.jpg.0d13b106bd08606720be470f35afc3b4.jpgAlaska is one of only a handful of destinations where the itinerary should be prioritized over the ship or even cruise line.  If it is a once in a lifetime trip, and if it's likely you wont be back, then Glacier Bay MUST be on the itinerary, IMO.  There is no place like it on earth. Glacier Bay limits the number of cruise ships in it to 2 per day, and i believe Holland America and Princess own more permits than any other cruise lines.  If you don't want a ton of kids, then lean toward Holland America.  That said, all of Alaska is beautiful and you will enjoy yourself, but I would plan the trip based on itinerary rather than ship. 

You will see more of Alaska on a one way trip, either northbound out of Vancouver or southbound out of Anchorage/Whittier, and will have more time in the ports.  But if you want the convenience of flying round trip out of the same airport, then the Seattle/Vancouver departures are fine as well, but you will have less time in the ports. 

Edited by JMB1969
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, hcat said:

what is the age group on Holland Alaska vs X?  the OP will be on his honeymoon

Alaska cruises skew younger on HAL, and there will be families on board, but not nearly as many as on RCCL, NCL, Carnival, or even Princess.  That said, average age is middle age on up.  OP said fiance is in her mid 40's.  They will not feel out of place.  When I cruised to Alaska I went on HAL with my 19 year old son and he had a blast.  

Edited by JMB1969

To the OP (and others doing research for future cruises) also remember that if you are used to less expensive excursions say in the Carribean for example do NOT expect that on an Alaska cruise.  Yes, you can always just hike or go to lunch in ports fairly easily, but the reason most go are for things you can only do in Alaska (glacier viewing, wildlife sightings, helicopter or float plane rides, dog sledding etc) and these excursions cost A LOT of money.  The Alaska cruise season is short and these vendors make their entire year’s salary on your choices so do your research and factor this expense into your overall budget.  Hope this helps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As a few others have said, you cannot go wrong with whatever you pick.  Personally, I like the itineraries that include Hubbard Glacier, so that means one way either northbound or southbound.  You will get to see a bit more than if you do round trip out of Seattle/Vancouver.

_DSC0720.jpg

Edited by Merc85
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Margin Walker said:

Recap:

Any other suggestions that I did not cover are very much appreciated.  Dog sledding is amazing, though very very pricey, but it's probably once in a lifetime.  Book as soon as you find the cruise you like at the price point you are comfortable with.  Before June will have fewer kids, but there will be kids even in May.  If not an Eclass ship, if Summit is doing Alaska next year, look into that, it's a great ship too.

Thank you!!

In Alaska if on Eclass ship, and Infinite Veranda would be ideal.  You need to spend in excess of $60/pp/day on drinks to make an alcoholic drink package worth the spend, though the convenience may make it worth it to you.

5 hours ago, JMB1969 said:

Alaska cruises skew younger on HAL, and there will be families on board, but not nearly as many as on RCCL, NCL, Carnival, or even Princess.  That said, average age is middle age on up.  OP said fiance is in her mid 40's.  They will not feel out of place.  When I cruised to Alaska I went on HAL with my 19 year old son and he had a blast.  

good info..thanks!

8 hours ago, Margin Walker said:

What is more ideal?   Sailing out of Seattle or a different city?  Are there any "must-do" excursions if this will be our first (and potentially last) cruise to Alaska?  

I've done 2 Alaska cruises with Celebrity - one was roundtrip from Seattle and the other was from Seward Alaska and ended in Vancouver. I would highly recommend the Seward to Vancover route.  The Seattle round trip you lose 2 days because you have a sea day on either end. The route from Seward south to Vancouver was the same amount of time, but you saw much more of Alaska both from the ship and from the extra port time in Alaska. 

The "Must-do" list will depend on what you are most interested in but I would recommend the train ride in Skagway - it's beautiful and very historic as well. If it's good weather I'd definitely go to Mendenhall Glacier in Junea. You can take a tour bus, city bus, taxi, etc.  I took the city bus cause I'm cheap. Spend some time and enjoy the glacier and the waterfall and walking the hiking trails. 

I enjoyed the cruise from Seattle as well - and flying in and out of Seattle is very convenient - but I certainly felt like I got more of Alaska on the Seward to Vancouver route.  

I've yet to be on an Edge Class ship, but both the Solstice and Millenium class ships were great for Alaska.

• Like 2

@Margin Walker, I do love CC for cruise research and planning.  However, I found the opinions about Alaska overwhelming.  I read and read and read on CC, then watched a whole lot of YouTube reviews to determine what ports, excursions and/or cruise lines & ships might need to be listed in order of priorities.  Then, my husband and I discussed, knowing that it would be highly unlikely that we would get everything we both wanted, but we are happy with our compromised selection.

I will probably forget some of the items we considered, but this will give you an idea.

- Less formal

- No mega-ships

- Some nightlife

- Kids okay, in case additional family decides to join

- Younger cruisers, in case additional family join 

- An indoor pool

- An adults area

- No assigned dining time

- Vancouver, departure or arrival port 

- Sitka or Haines, since they are less common ports

- Glacier Bay not required (some CCers probably passed out reading that)

- Tender ports or far away berth did not matter 

- Ports with excursions to glaciers and/or fjords 

We put our deposits down on a Celebrity Summit cruise that leaves from Vancouver and ends in Seward.  We will visit Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, Icy Strait Point and cruise by Hubbard Glacier.  Will it be perfect?  Of course not, but it is as close as we could get to our wish list.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon choice….

You must be spinning already from the wealth of information you have been given! I offer no more other than to accept that you can’t do everything and to simply decide what your ‘must do’s’ are and then look at itineraries. 

13 hours ago, chefchick said:

To the OP (and others doing research for future cruises) also remember that if you are used to less expensive excursions say in the Carribean for example do NOT expect that on an Alaska cruise.  Yes, you can always just hike or go to lunch in ports fairly easily, but the reason most go are for things you can only do in Alaska (glacier viewing, wildlife sightings, helicopter or float plane rides, dog sledding etc) and these excursions cost A LOT of money.  The Alaska cruise season is short and these vendors make their entire year’s salary on your choices so do your research and factor this expense into your overall budget.  Hope this helps.

I totally agree with this…We did do the float plane trip and a boat trip and the cost was high but why travel to a fantastic place and walk around the gift shops? The ports are the ‘gateways’ for tours rather than full destinations.

Remember, this is your honeymoon so look at the evening entertainment options and speciality dining available on board each of your possible itineraries too. Much as this tends to be a cruise where people focus on itinerary first and ship second you do want some magical evenings.

Much as it is cold in Alaska we did use our balcony a lot…We would set our alarms early as we were approaching ports and sit out wrapped in blankets drinking hot coffee and eating croissants…I even remember one clear and cold evening as we were heading back to Seattle sitting out (really wrapped up!) listening to the sound of the quite choppy waves. A balcony has always been a must have for me.

Whatever line and itinerary you choose simply remember it is about making memories…

• Like 1