Can you bring non-alcoholic beer onboard?

I've searched the forums but don't see an answer to this.  I know that you can bring up to 12 cans/cartons of non-alcoholic drinks (sodas, water) on board, but can you bring Heineken 0 cans? It's truly zero percent alcohol (some "N/A" beers have a small percentage of alcohol).  

Second question - can you bring bottles of soda on-board?  I know they allow wine (which is glass).  Just wondering if glass soda bottles are allowed.

Thanks!

I wouldn't assume port security can read.

as for bottles

Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles.

Yes you can bring on non alcoholic beer and wine on board. We were told by  the people we were sent to when they saw the bottles on the scanner. Once they saw they were non alcoholic they just told us to enjoy

This is not directly responsive, but the Princess Wine & Spirits pre-order option on the Cruise Personalizer includes a non-alcoholic white zinfandel and a non-alcoholic sparkling cider. I ordered a coupe of bottles of the N/A white zin to have in the room because it's not clear to me that I can get it elsewhere on the ship (haven't seen it on any of the menus floating around online).

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I wouldn't assume port security can read.

as for bottles

Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles.

That's what Princess publishes but security hasn't cared in the past. 

Posted (edited)

Oooh, I hope the answer is yes. I enjoy regular beer, wine and cocktails, but I also drink a fair whack of the zero beer which is also very enjoyable. I had already seen the one offering on the Princess bar menus of the 0% Heineken, which is one of my least favourite ones. I enjoy many of the 0% Spanish beers, and the Corona cero. 

As well as following this thread for a definitive answer, I am also considering writing to Princess to suggest they expand on their 0% options. Many are available on tap, which would be a good option too. I find the Mocktails too sweet, and would love a decent choice of 0% beers.

Edited by laslomas

I reached out directly to Princess this morning.  I was told that non-alcoholic beer (in cans) is allowed to be brought onboard.  I was also told that Coca Cola in a GLASS bottle is not allowed.  Must be cans.  Seems strange because they aren't resealable (like plastic bottles) and they allow glass wine bottles.

Thank you all for your input.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

organic-baseball-cap-pacific-front-636fb

It's been that way ever since Princess published "no plastic bottles" so I don't expect them to change anytime soon.

1 hour ago, mikemincruise said:

Seems strange because they aren't resealable (like plastic bottles) and they allow glass wine bottles.

Just a guess, but I imagine it has to do with the speed with which Security can scan the carry-on contents.  If it had to examine every single bottle that came through the scanner to see if it had a non-resealable cap or a resealable screwcap, it would bog down the boarding process considerably.  So they have to draw the line somewhere.  If they see a can, they assume that it is non-resealable ( a logical assumption) and let it go.  If they see a bottle that is the size and shape of a wine bottle, they let it go. However, I have boarded at ports where my wine bottles were hand-inspected and a broken seal would have been detected.    But if thousands of 12 ounce bottles of varying beverages were allowed on, Security would either have to look the other way which would surely lead to rule-breaking, or they would have to bog down the boarding process by looking over all of those bottles.  Easier to just say: "Don't bring them."  

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

organic-baseball-cap-pacific-front-636fb

This has been my experience as well. At every port stop enroute from Florida to Quebec, people carried on liquor, wine, and beer, and all of it went through the scanner with no questions asked. Same thing happened on our British Isles/Iceland cruise. We kept seeing the same people at liquor stores, LOL! It seemed more relaxed after initial boarding.

YMMV.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Teechur said:

It seemed more relaxed after initial boarding.

Probably because it is two different groups of people doing the scanning.  At the port of initial embarkation, security is handled by the Port Security Team, not by Princess.  They are given the cruise line's rules and try to enforce them.  At ports of call, the people operating the scanners are Princess employees and they probably want to be as non-confrontational as possible.  I have only been on one cruise where port-purchased alcohol was bagged and tagged for end-of-the-cruise delivery.  And I have never seen this with wine.  Though the volume of wine brought on at port stops is usually a bottle or two.  I haven't ever seen anyone put a case of wine on the scanner at a port.  It's probably been tried and I have no idea what the results would have been.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Probably because it is two different groups of people doing the scanning.  At the port of initial embarkation, security is handled by the Port Security Team, not by Princess.  They are given the cruise line's rules and try to enforce them.  At ports of call, the people operating the scanners are Princess employees and they probably want to be as non-confrontational as possible.  I have only been on one cruise where port-purchased alcohol was bagged and tagged for end-of-the-cruise delivery.  And I have never seen this with wine.  Though the volume of wine brought on at port stops is usually a bottle or two.  I haven't ever seen anyone put a case of wine on the scanner at a port.  It's probably been tried and I have no idea what the results would have been.  

I agree! None of us got sent to the corkage fee table.

• Like 1

I can already hear the whines when Princess decides to enforce the rules. Other cruise lines do, so it is possible.

In general, Europe is more relaxed, and at least one port has a liquor store AFTER port security.

Easiest for me just to buy one of the Princess packages and have my drinks served to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I can already hear the whines when Princess decides to enforce the rules. Other cruise lines do, so it is possible.

Easiest for me just to buy one of the Princess packages and have my drinks served to me.

For those of us who share cabins with people who don't drink (or drink too much), it's nice to have choices. No matter what changes Princess makes, I'm sure we will be able to adapt. They are pretty awesome! 👌

35 minutes ago, Teechur said:

For those of us who share cabins with people who don't drink (or drink too much), it's nice to have choices. No matter what changes Princess makes, I'm sure we will be able to adapt. They are pretty awesome! 👌

Choice is good. Doesn't Princess offer drinks only package for situations like that?

13 hours ago, laslomas said:

Oooh, I hope the answer is yes. I enjoy regular beer, wine and cocktails, but I also drink a fair whack of the zero beer which is also very enjoyable. I had already seen the one offering on the Princess bar menus of the 0% Heineken, which is one of my least favourite ones. I enjoy many of the 0% Spanish beers, and the Corona cero. 

As well as following this thread for a definitive answer, I am also considering writing to Princess to suggest they expand on their 0% options. Many are available on tap, which would be a good option too. I find the Mocktails too sweet, and would love a decent choice of 0% beers.

I wish they would. There are so many good N/A beer options, and most of their mocktails looks disgustingly sweet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Choice is good. Doesn't Princess offer drinks only package for situations like that?

If you take a look at the "drinks only" package, I think you will agree that they are only a good deal for Princess. They cost more than the Plus Package and don't include Crew Appreciation, casual meals, or Internet. We prefer to bring our own for our balcony happy hours, then purchase drinks with OBC.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Teechur said:

If you take a look at the "drinks only" package, I think you will agree that they are only a good deal for Princess. They cost more than the Plus Package and don't include Crew Appreciation, casual meals, or Internet. We prefer to bring our own for our balcony happy hours, then purchase drinks with OBC.

They do cost more, but less than some other cruise lines. Happy cruising!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They do cost more, but less than some other cruise lines. Happy cruising!

INCOMING!!

only one person in a cabin has to buy the package - not both - but No sharing 😉

gratuities can be ........