Regent- Stranded! Last minute change 🙀

We are booked in Seward AK for four nights before our cruise.( Explorer 9-11-24. ) Last minute email today, 8-23, changing embarkation from Seward to Whittier AK. It is almost impossible to get from Seward to Whittier directly. At this point it looks like we would have to take a bus back to Anchorage and then another  bus to Whittier! 
Many hours and many extra dollars! There is virtually no lodging in Whittier.  I am also pretty sure that we aren’t the only people staying in Seward the night before the cruise. Regent needs to step up and provide transportation from Seward to Whittier.

Regent help us out please!! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would recommend being proactive - you don't want to miss the ship.

Hire a taxi if it is available. Or rent a car. Or a private shuttle service.

If not then go back to Anchorage and then on to Whittier. (bus)

also, if I read your post correctly, the cruise is not until next month - then you have plenty of time to change your pre-cruise arrangements.

Stay in Anchorage the night(s) before the cruise and then arrange for transportation to Whittier the day of embarcation,

To be frank, IMHO, 4 nights in Seward is about 3 too many.

Good luck!

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 1teach53 said:

We are booked in Seward AK for four nights before our cruise.( Explorer 9-11-24. ) Last minute email today, 8-23, changing embarkation from Seward to Whittier AK. It is almost impossible to get from Seward to Whittier directly. At this point it looks like we would have to take a bus back to Anchorage and then another  bus to Whittier! 
Many hours and many extra dollars! There is virtually no lodging in Whittier.  I am also pretty sure that we aren’t the only people staying in Seward the night before the cruise. Regent needs to step up and provide transportation from Seward to Whittier.

Regent help us out please!! 

Is your stay in Seward booked through Regent or third party? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nachosdelux said:

I would recommend being proactive - you don't want to miss the ship.

Hire a taxi if it is available. Or rent a car. Or a private shuttle service.

If not then go back to Anchorage and then on to Whittier. (bus)

also, if I read your post correctly, the cruise is not until next month - then you have plenty of time to change your pre-cruise arrangements.

Stay in Anchorage the night(s) before the cruise and then arrange for transportation to Whittier the day of embarcation,

To be frank, IMHO, 4 nights in Seward is about 3 too many.

Good luck!

Really? Seward area is beautiful both land & water ! We have  been there before. 
We are working on transportation from Seward to Whittier. Very limited options & $$$!
Would have been nice to know this earlier! September things are starting to close or slow down at the end of their season, more limited options. 

Edited by 1teach53
Add
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 1teach53 said:

Really? Seward area is beautiful both land & water ! We have  been there before. 
We are working on transportation from Seward to Whittier. Very limited options & $$$!
Would have been nice to know this earlier! September things are starting to close or slow down at the end of their season, more limited options. 

If you got your transport through Regent, they will do all this for you? Or did you book it on your own or with a TA? If so, put your TA back to work for you. 

Unfortunately, this is a hurdle we see with all airlines and all cruise companies in this new post-Covid world. You have enough time to secure a solution and you will have a wonderful trip.

Posted (edited)

Since you may want to spend a night back in Anchorage between the travel from Seward (try the train!) and the trip to Whittier, you might want to book that night through Regent as a pre-cruise night.  Rates in Anchorage are running about $500/nt for one of the nicer downtown hotels.  Regent will charge you something like $350/pp (yeah, they quote it per person unlike what the hotels are actually charging.  But, that includes the transfer to Whittier and also makes getting you to the ship Regent's problem in case there are any other changes.

The train trip form Seward to Anchorage is very scenic and much more pleasant than the bus ride.

Seward — Girdwood 6:00 PM 8:50 PM
Girdwood* — Anchorage 8:55 PM 10:15 PM

Alaska Railroad also runs the Glacier Discovery train which goes to Whittier until 15 September.  And, they'll check bags on both routes.

Anchorage — Girdwood 9:45 AM 10:55 AM
Girdwood — Whittier 11:00 AM 12:05 PM
Edited by Portolan
  • Like 2

I would simply rent a car in Seward on the day you sail and drive to Whittier...  takes about 2 hours.  Hertz has a rental outlet in Seward and I would think they also would in Whittier.

When we cruised from Seward we drove there from Girdwood which is close to Anchorage and took about the same time.  We did that on the day we embarked.  Worked perfectly.

I do tend to agree though that 4 nights in Seward are at least 3 too many...

• Like 1

Regent should provide transportation to Whittier. Section 4c of the Ticket Contract provides: "If the scheduled port of embarkation or final destination is changed. We will arrange transportation to the new port from the originally scheduled port."

Dave

• Like 12

I would skip Seward entirely. Aren't you flying into Anchorage? Stay there instead and do daytrips from there if you want. Take whatever transportation is offered by Regent day of embarkation to Whittier.

No reason to stay in Seward unless you are embarking there.

• Like 2

I would be very upset about this change 3 or so weeks before cruise.  They are subtly trying to get us to do our own air and transfers and these changes totally destroy confidence in doing so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1teach53, if you haven't already done so, either you or your TA should reach out to Regent in writing and ask them what they are proposing to do for you.  I keep shaking my head when I read some peoples' responses as Regent should be doing ensuring that passengers are accommodated regardless of whether they booked air through the cruise line or not.  DaveFr has provided you excellent information.

By the way, we loved Seward and could happily spend an extended period of time there.  We'd prefer not to stay in Anchorage unless we had to stay as part of a package. 

Please keep posting as to what happens for you. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Portolan said:

Since you may want to spend a night back in Anchorage between the travel from Seward (try the train!) and the trip to Whittier, you might want to book that night through Regent as a pre-cruise night.  Rates in Anchorage are running about $500/nt for one of the nicer downtown hotels.  Regent will charge you something like $350/pp (yeah, they quote it per person unlike what the hotels are actually charging.  But, that includes the transfer to Whittier and also makes getting you to the ship Regent's problem in case there are any other changes.

The train trip form Seward to Anchorage is very scenic and much more pleasant than the bus ride.

Seward — Girdwood 6:00 PM 8:50 PM
Girdwood* — Anchorage 8:55 PM 10:15 PM

Alaska Railroad also runs the Glacier Discovery train which goes to Whittier until 15 September.  And, they'll check bags on both routes.

Anchorage — Girdwood 9:45 AM 10:55 AM
Girdwood — Whittier 11:00 AM 12:05 PM

Appreciate your suggestion but we are embarking 9-11 , train arrives too late.  We already have hotel & excursions in Seward. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mariners said:

1teach53, if you haven't already done so, either you or your TA should reach out to Regent in writing and ask them what they are proposing to do for you.  I keep shaking my head when I read some peoples' responses as Regent should be doing ensuring that passengers are accommodated regardless of whether they booked air through the cruise line or not.  DaveFr has provided you excellent information.

By the way, we loved Seward and could happily spend an extended period of time there.  We'd prefer not to stay in Anchorage unless we had to stay as part of a package. 

Please keep posting as to what happens for you. 

I just posted the following on the roll call for this cruise, things have really changed since Norwegian ownership!!

Received an email yesterday telling us the new port of embarkation is Whittier AK. on September 11,2024
We have booked Seward for four nights ( to enjoy wildlife cruise & hikes & fun city to visit) before the cruise. (we have visited Seward before) It is almost impossible to get from Seward to Whittier directly. At this point it looks like we would have to take a bus back to Anchorage and then another  bus   to Whittier.  (5 hours bus time total !!) Many hours and extra dollars. (The Seward to Anchorage leg we are on our own) There is virtually no lodging in Whittier.  I am also pretty sure that we aren’t the only people staying in Seward the night before the cruise. Regent needs to step up and provide transportation from Seward to Whittier.

Just spoke to RSS customer service & they said it was on us to get to Whittier via Seward to Anchorage. They told us to file a claim with our insurance. We elevated it to two supervisors. , same story! This is not Regent above and beyond service. Customer service used to be great. 

We have reached out to Red Eye Rides in Seward, 907-769-1818 & they can provide transportation Seward to Whittier. Talked to Angel & she said if she has a couple more people the price drops. I’d suggest you reach out to her to confirm. Lovely lady! 
Hope this helps!

PS: we do have RSS air , but no hotel package. 

Edited by 1teach53
Adding

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I would simply rent a car in Seward on the day you sail and drive to Whittier...  takes about 2 hours.  Hertz has a rental outlet in Seward and I would think they also would in Whittier.

When we cruised from Seward we drove there from Girdwood which is close to Anchorage and took about the same time.  We did that on the day we embarked.  Worked perfectly.

I called…. One way car  Seward to Whittier $700.00 !🙀

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We love Seward!! Even in the rain!!️ 

1teach53, I would not accept whatever customer service is stating.  Years ago, when we were regularly sailing Regent, DaveFr provided me with invaluable information when we had issues with what the cruise line "had" to provide rather than what they were "choosing" to provide.  Times change so I don't know if there is anything that you can do that will ensure that you are given what Regent has to provide to you and other passengers who are also affected.

I wish that I could provide you with current information.  All I can say, which is not helpful but is true, it this is not the RSSC/Regent that I sailed on for years.  I am appalled, and I do mean that literally, with their treatment of passengers in your situation.  So sad!

I hope that you can find a resolution that works for you. 

• Like 3

We are facing the same issue except our disembarkation port was changed from Seward to Whittier. Leaving us stranded as we had train tickets from Seward to Anchorage.  Since Regents was unwilling to transport passengers to original disembarkation port, we were able to switch our train tickets, but it is not the same.  No Gold Start service on that train route, no place to store baggage for the day in Whittier as the depot in Whittier does not provide a place for bags prior to departure as the Seward depot does.  As of now, Regents has made no effort to accommodate passengers.  Pre-cruise planning has not gone well.  No real personalized assistance. 

6 hours ago, mariners said:

1teach53, I would not accept whatever customer service is stating.  Years ago, when we were regularly sailing Regent, DaveFr provided me with invaluable information when we had issues with what the cruise line "had" to provide rather than what they were "choosing" to provide.  Times change so I don't know if there is anything that you can do that will ensure that you are given what Regent has to provide to you and other passengers who are also affected.

I wish that I could provide you with current information.  All I can say, which is not helpful but is true, it this is not the RSSC/Regent that I sailed on for years.  I am appalled, and I do mean that literally, with their treatment of passengers in your situation.  So sad!

I hope that you can find a resolution that works for you. 

Just now, CascadeLakeGirl said:

We are facing the same issue except our disembarkation port was changed from Seward to Whittier. Leaving us stranded as we had train tickets from Seward to Anchorage.  Since Regents was unwilling to transport passengers to original disembarkation port, we were able to switch our train tickets, but it is not the same.  No Gold Start service on that train route, no place to store baggage for the day in Whittier as the depot in Whittier does not provide a place for bags prior to departure as the Seward depot does.  As of now, Regents has made no effort to accommodate passengers.  Pre-cruise planning has not gone well.  No real personalized assistance. 

8 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

I called…. One way car  Seward to Whittier $700.00 !🙀

well - if it gets you there and you don't miss the cruise (which I bet cost a lot more!!) AND if you have a hotel pre-paid with no refund in Seward it wouldn't be a bad thing to pay $700.

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

........... it wouldn't be a bad thing to pay $700.

....... and then present an invoice to RSSC for your expenses that result from the change of embarkation port and their failure to fulfil the terms of the contract (post #8 above)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

we do have RSS air ,

Since you are using Regent Air, and are going days early, I assume you deviated your flights? If so, then that is likely part of your problem.  You can try, as DaveFr suggested above, and point our Section 4c of the cruise contract.  But likely what they'll tell you is that if you hadn't deviated then they would be responsible to get you to the ship.  Unfortunately deviation is always a "game changer" when something like this happens.  You agree, when deviating, to find your own transportation to the ship (that's also in the Terms and Conditions).  But you might try again and push Section 4c. Probably won't work, but might be worth the try.  

I’m getting on a ship tomorrow.  I find changing embarking and disembark location 3 weeks prior totally unacceptable.  I’m going to mention it on my mid cruise survey.  I think this is very important especially since they are gently “encouraging” us to book own air and hotel. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Did I miss mention of a TA...who could get involved and escalate things higher? The other issue is that if you book outside of Regent for hotel and transfers, they don't usually cover changes.

It's my belief, based on what I have heard, that Regent is tired of catching grief over the airline games/prices/changes and wants the blame to go where it should - to the airlines. It is simply to book air with Regent - no real change that I have experienced - but the pricing is no longer standard...and that is on the airlines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Did I miss mention of a TA...who could get involved and escalate things higher? The other issue is that if you book outside of Regent for hotel and transfers, they don't usually cover changes.

It's my belief, based on what I have heard, that Regent is tired of catching grief over the airline games/prices/changes and wants the blame to go where it should - to the airlines. It is simply to book air with Regent - no real change that I have experienced - but the pricing is no longer standard...and that is on the airlines.

You can’t want passengers to book own air and hotel which I believe Regent wants and then change embarkation location.  You don’t get to play it both ways. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

You can’t want passengers to book own air and hotel which I believe Regent wants and then change embarkation location.  You don’t get to play it both ways. 

I see absolutely no evidence that Regent wants guests to book anything on their own. The only difference now is that air prices are a separate line item. It makes zero difference to me when booking...it is still a single transaction. The airlines are such a mess these days that allowing guests to see the variation in their pricing is just good business. 

• Like 1