Minor not having ability to charge on room key/medallion

Miss-Lizzie

I know there is not a lot of children on Princess and I know how Disney and Royal Caribbean works for marking their profile as not allowed to charge on their room key. 

I am doing my check in for my Princess cruise and I didn't see where if minor do not allow to charge box. I started a chat with Princess and he told me just tell your kids not to charge anything, yeah right as they go around the ship buying everything in site. Obviously this customer service person doesn't have minors or has the best in the world. I am not going to trust my grandchildren with an open ended credit card. 

So does anyone know if there is a place I can say not authorized to charge like on Disney. 

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We have gone to customer service upon boarding and have them do it there.

I also believe you can have guest services put a daily limit on your child’s medallion so they can buy a soda here or there but not buy that expensive coat they had their eye on

• Like 2

Thanks you all. I will call customer service and if they can do before hand that will be great. If not I will go to guest services when I board. I just don't like standing in line, it's hard on my legs.

I do like the money limit thing perday. She has a small job and saved her own money, on the Disney Cruise she gave me the money before hand and I got on board credit for her but went with her to the store on the last day and bought her what she picked out. I will ask what she wants to do this time. My grandson didn't want to spend any money, he is a saver. Lol 

Thanks again 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Miss-Lizzie said:

Thanks you all. I will call customer service and if they can do before hand that will be great. If not I will go to guest services when I board. I just don't like standing in line, it's hard on my legs.

I do like the money limit thing perday. She has a small job and saved her own money, on the Disney Cruise she gave me the money before hand and I got on board credit for her but went with her to the store on the last day and bought her what she picked out. I will ask what she wants to do this time. My grandson didn't want to spend any money, he is a saver. Lol 

Thanks again 

So cute!  I doubt CS ahead of time will have any clue how to document your record prior to sailing.  If you have a TA or a PCL CVP, cruise vac planner, they can add this information to your record.  But, you definitely would need to visit GS either, call from your cabin or go in person.  

They are in charge of your folio.

If they won’t limit the spending or do a cap daily over the phone from your cabin, once OB, I would go the next morning, as we find it is a much shorter line.  

Have fun!

Edited by PacnGoNow

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

So cute!  I doubt CS ahead of time will have any clue how to document your record prior to sailing.  If you have a TA or a PCL CVP, cruise vac planner, they can add this information to your record.  But, you definitely would need to visit GS either, call from your cabin or go in person.  

They are in charge of your folio.

If they won’t limit the spending or do a cap daily over the phone from your cabin, once OB, I would go the next morning, as we find it is a much shorter line.  

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the information. I will do that if the line is to long for me to stand. I have no idea how Princess boards. We had a time on Disney which I liked, got there on time, they scanned our watches and we boarded only a little while later. Not long at all. I remember seeing customer service and I don't remember the line being that long. 

It's just different with not being on this cruise line before. I don't know the ins and outs.

Thanks so much again 

2 hours ago, Miss-Lizzie said:

I started a chat with Princess and he told me just tell your kids not to charge anything, yeah right as they go around the ship buying everything in site.

really? My kid has been cruising since he was 3. Not once did he go around the ship buying everything in sight. He is 13 now.

2 hours ago, Miss-Lizzie said:

Obviously this customer service person doesn't have minors or has the best in the world.

mine's just a regular kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You may want to check your cruise on the Princess app. I don’t have a child but I do see on my cruises an option for parental controls which allows you to link a child under 18 for controls. Not sure exactly what you can control but it might be worth checking out

18 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

really? My kid has been cruising since he was 3. Not once did he go around the ship buying everything in sight. He is 13 now.

mine's just a regular kid.

My children and grandchildren have been cruising for over 20 years. First was my son @12. I didn't do anything there about not charging on his room key, not even sure if Disney had it then. He didn't charge a penny either. While standing in line to check out, a tiny issue on my bill. The person in front of me children charged over 2000.00 to the room,  don't ask me how or why he was not watching his room charges. He had to pay that and since that day I always had the minor children charge ability removed. My children actually prefer not to have the ability to accidentally charge something or to even think about it before they purchase. Most times they changed their minds before they found me. It's not that I don't trust my children/grandchildren. I just want the protection, accident do happen, room keys do get lost or stolen. I know now they have the extra protection of your picture so others have a lesser chance of someone charging. I want to secure spending and the only credit card I have. 

I'm sure that the father who paid 2000.00 put the no charging on his children card next time he cruised. 

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

You may want to check your cruise on the Princess app. I don’t have a child but I do see on my cruises an option for parental controls which allows you to link a child under 18 for controls. Not sure exactly what you can control but it might be worth checking out

I will go look, maybe in a different place than Disney, thanks so much. 😊 

I couldn't do it on the app.  I am not sure I could have done it at guest services, I forgot to try.

Honestly, there was nothing in the stores that even began to draw in my child.  (Unlike the Disney cruises where they wanted EVERYTHING.). He didn't get a single souvenir on our cruise!  

For that matter, I didn't buy any souvenirs! (I certainly didn't want effy jewelry or random bags.)

I did buy him a drink package that didn't include hot chocolate, so he did run up a very small bar tab.  Maybe $20 or so.  

12 minutes ago, ChemistBabe said:

I couldn't do it on the app.  I am not sure I could have done it at guest services, I forgot to try.

Honestly, there was nothing in the stores that even began to draw in my child.  (Unlike the Disney cruises where they wanted EVERYTHING.). He didn't get a single souvenir on our cruise!  

For that matter, I didn't buy any souvenirs! (I certainly didn't want effy jewelry or random bags.)

I did buy him a drink package that didn't include hot chocolate, so he did run up a very small bar tab.  Maybe $20 or so.  

I did go in to the parental controls and link her. I understood the second box, it just allows her to text us in the app. But the first one says not allowed to use your medallion for cruise experience. What does that mean. 

I know people will judge me, even though she under 21 we added her to the premium package, so she can go to the specialty restaurant, tips paid etc. We are taking the cruise to spend time with her and she loves good food too. Plus the coffee and other stuff. I asked her and she doesn't want charging capability because of many reasons. 

Now for the question.. if I don't check the first box will she still be able to get the coffee, juices etc. They won't cost anything 🤔 

2 minutes ago, Miss-Lizzie said:

I did go in to the parental controls and link her. I understood the second box, it just allows her to text us in the app. But the first one says not allowed to use your medallion for cruise experience. What does that mean. 

I know people will judge me, even though she under 21 we added her to the premium package, so she can go to the specialty restaurant, tips paid etc. We are taking the cruise to spend time with her and she loves good food too. Plus the coffee and other stuff. I asked her and she doesn't want charging capability because of many reasons. 

Now for the question.. if I don't check the first box will she still be able to get the coffee, juices etc. They won't cost anything 🤔 

I strongly suspect that if you click "can't use medallion for cruise experience" that means she can't use it to get her free coffees/mocktails, etc.

2 minutes ago, ChemistBabe said:

I strongly suspect that if you click "can't use medallion for cruise experience" that means she can't use it to get her free coffees/mocktails, etc.

I was thinking the same,  thanks. 

2 hours ago, ChemistBabe said:

I think that is probably a question for guest services unless some here has experience with this

You could probably ask onboard at guest services. Let me say this, it's very convenient having kids, grands in your case, who can purchase things for you when you need them to. Tell them the rules of purchasing or give them a spending allowance to manage. Allowances build money management. Our kids have been cruising forever, and they know boundaries.

• Like 1

On many of our cruises with grandkids I have gifted them $100 gift cards which have been loaded onto their accounts.   They have both lived within their OBC and often come home with credits.  

10 hours ago, Miss-Lizzie said:

Thanks so much for the information. I will do that if the line is to long for me to stand. I have no idea how Princess boards. We had a time on Disney which I liked, got there on time, they scanned our watches and we boarded only a little while later. Not long at all. I remember seeing customer service and I don't remember the line being that long. 

It's just different with not being on this cruise line before. I don't know the ins and outs.

Thanks so much again 

What ship will you be on & where will you be boarding from?  One suggestion is to get to the cruise terminal before it’s opened so when you get inside you can be in one of the 1st groups boarding & immediately go to the CS desk to set things up. 

Tom😀

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

What ship will you be on & where will you be boarding from?  One suggestion is to get to the cruise terminal before it’s opened so when you get inside you can be in one of the 1st groups boarding & immediately go to the CS desk to set things up. 

Tom😀

You were Navy, so was my husband and I, 1978-1990. Thank you for your service. 

If you don't wish to stand in line you can try the chat feature once onboard. It connects you to somebody from guest services. I can be slow so going in person may be the quickest bet but since you said you had issue standing for long periods of time the chat feature in the app once onboard might be able to help.

On 8/23/2024 at 10:14 AM, Miss-Lizzie said:

Thanks again 

As for guest services, simplyvwait a bit till the line goes away.  We simply do not give permission to our grandkids - teenagers - to charge.  They ask a couple times each cruise, usually at dinner.

• Thanks 1