Doncha love these "Help me decide!" threads?

And here I am, posting another one! :D

So, I promised my kids a Caribbean cruise this summer. We're currently booked on Rhapsody's Western Caribbean Aug. 20 cruise. We've got two larger inside cabins. My kids will be 14 & 16 then, so I'm happy to have them next door, rather than in with us.

But I just saw the thread about the new specials for 3rd and 4th passengers, so I started checking around, and found a Navigator Eastern Caribbean itinerary, departing Aug. 26. For about the same price, I could get all four of us in a D1 Balcony cabin.

Soooo....aaack, what to do? Do I switch?

Believe it or not, I've never even been to the Caribbean. (Well, not counting that booze- and ganja-soaked week I spent in Montego Bay back in 1980!) I know I know, I have this enormous post count, and I've never been to the Caribbean? But my cruises have all been to places like the Med, Mexico, Alaska, and Costa Rica. I finally decided that it was time for me to do an actual Caribbean cruise.

What I don't know is, would we prefer the Eastern or Western itinerary? And then there's the ship -- Rhapsody sounded great, especially all that I've read about how it tends to be populated with very friendly Texans (we're from California, but we ARE very friendly :D). This ship seems to have quite the loyal following.

But it is missing some things...there's no specialty restaurants or Johnny Rockets, no ice skating rink or basketball court (which my son would use frequently, I assume). Navigator seems to have EVERYTHING, and lots of it. And what's more, it seems to have more going on for the teens. Rhapsody does have a teen center, but it seems small in comparison, whereas Navigator has multiple facilities, plus an area at the aft for teen parties.

Of course, going on the Navigator means we've gotta have those dam* kids in the room with us. On the other hand, this could be a good thing...while our two cabins on Rhapsody are next door, it sure would be easier for them to...um...sneak out while we're asleep! Not that I don't trust my kids, they are (so far) really good kids who haven't gotten into any trouble, but I'm not niave enough to not realize that being in the exciting, highly-charged environment of a cruise might tempt them to temporarily abandon their principles, y'know? If they were in the room with us, at least I could make sure they didn't ACT on any of those temptations.

So which do I choose? To quote David Hedison in the final scene of the classic 1958 movie The Fly, "HEEELP ME! HEEELP ME!"

All perspectives appreciated.

LeeAnne

For what it's worth - not having been on either ship and not having kids: I vote for the Navigator. There's something to be said for having a balcony, keeping a closer eye on the kids, having more on the ship for the kids (and YOU) to do. I've only been to the Southern Caribbean but I'm sure both western and eastern are great. White sand beaches, hot sun (especially in August). You just can't beat it!

At that age, I'd say two bathrooms is essential :D

However, the Navigator is great.

Yes, the bathroom issue is definitely of great consequence...my 16-yr-old daughter's collection of eyeshadows alone could take up every inch of available counter space. But I'm still undecided...

LeeAnne

Considering you've never been to the caribbean, either one would be great. I'd go for the balcony and kids in the room (for a watchful eye only). We went last year with our then 17 year old son, who is also a very good kid. With what goes on amongst that age group on the ship, I was glad that he had to come back to our room and be "accountable", though we did have "words" a couple of times when he strolled in at 3:00 a.m :O. Always sober though :) IMO

Yes, the bathroom issue is definitely of great consequence...my 16-yr-old daughter's collection of eyeshadows alone could take up every inch of available counter space. But I'm still undecided...

LeeAnne

LeeAnn, I was thinking that if the 16 were a male it *might* be a bit easier, guess not :eek:

If you are all eager to go, I'm sure you'll make it work. Was there a big difference for a JS? At least then you would have a bigger bathroom and a walk-in closet you could use as a dressing room?

Have fun planning :D

###

No matter which ship you choose, I would opt for 2 rooms. I can't even imagine a cruise with kids in the room! Especially teen-agers! I know you need to keep a close eye on teens, but I would do it from next door or across the hall! Gotta have privacy on vacation!!!

Being that I've only been on one cruise and am about to embark on our second, I'd stick with Rhapsody and the inside cabins. I think that the inside cabins are cool; besides, we're hardly in them to begin - with the exception of showering and sleeping.

However, I wouldn't mind trying out a room with a porthole for the natural light.

Our 2nd upcoming cruise on Explorer also has inside cabins. But regarding balconies - - I've heard one bad thing about the balconies that turn me off and that would be the cigarette butts raining down from the other balconies (this is what I've heard from these boards).

Yeah, I'd still stick with Rhapsody.

LeeAnne, the kids will love Navigator. As to which itinerary, flip a coin. I think you might prefer Eastern but the kids might prefer Western. Perhaps Southern would be the compromise. BTW, I can't believe you have never been on a Caribbean sailing...it's about damn time, don't ya think :D

Our kids have been on 2 cruises and have stayed in our cabin; the 3rd one is coming up on 4/15 on the Navigator. After the last cruise unfortunately it was on the CCL - Destiny (never again) :( , we decided that we would get separate cabins This year the kids, both boys, ages 13 1/2 and 16 will be in their own inside cabin, that will be shared with another two boys the same age. We're traveling with another family who have cruised together before. The parents are getting two outside cabins and like I said the 4 boys will share an inside cabin across the hall.

Looking forward to the Navigator, haven't been on that size ship yet. Either the Eastern or Western side will be great. We've done both, including the southern route.

The final straw that made our decision was when we were trying to get ready for the formal nights. That was a challenge for all of us!!!

LeeAnne, we had the same dilema and opted for the D1 balcony room on the Mariner Eastern Caribbean. We have two kids ages 13 and 17. We went on a smaller ship this past Feb. and my kids really missed the Voyager class ship. They kept talking about Johnny Rockets, the teen room, ice rink....so now we are planning another cruise :p

Leeanne,

Do the Navigator!

Our kids are your kids ages. While they loved their cruises on the smaller ships (Enchantment, Sovereign and Majesty) they have always thought of the "ships with the mall and ice skating" as the ultimate cruise. They said they would sleep on the pool deck if it meant cruing on a ship like that.

We are VERY fortunate to have found a cruise on the Explorer we can afford to take all four kids on and I must say I am looking forward to this cruise more than any cruise we have ever had booked. The kids have also informed me that they will not have time for their groups because they will have too much to do..... LOL

They asked how many sea days we have, not what ports we go to. They would have loved an all sea day cruise.

Adventure Ocean on the Voygarer class ships is so much bigger too. For me it would be a no-brainer. Voyager class all the way :)

Bobbie

LeeAnne, As much as I love the Eastern Caribbean, I will suggest the Rhapsody for the following reasons.

1. The Rhapsody is wonderful with a great crew and great passengers.

2. You really will be happier in two rooms.

3. If it's the kids first cruise they will love the Rhapsody. The Navigator may have more "stuff" but they have nothing to compare it to so they won't know the difference. There will be plenty of activities and fun things for them to do.

4. You'll be coming to Texas where we ARE very friendly and you have MOS status, which means I will pick you up at the airport and deliver you to the ship! Just one of the WGIG member perks!:eek:

5. You'll catch the Eastern Caribbean in February on the MOS with the rest of us!:)

School actually starts on Thursday, Aug. 31, so the kids would miss the first two days...but every year it starts on the Thursday before Labor day. Nothing really goes on during those first two days...things really start to happen on the Tuesday after Labor Day. I'd be okay with my kids missing the first two days.

But that is also a consideration to factor into this decision -- the jury is still out!

LeeAnne

Hi Leann:

I haven't been to either of the two itenerary's (yet, planning western caribbean in Oct on the Rhapsody) but I would pose a question to you... :) what would your kids like to do? I'm not saying go with what they say, but being that age, they may think it's cool to have their own space as well.. :D I remember taking family vacations when I was their ages and dreaded the hotels with my parents:eek: Just a thought. Whatever you decide, you'll have a blast and so will the kids.

Dona

Regardless of the ship or itinerary, I say it's not a vacation unless the kids have their own cabin.

We've been on 4 cruises with our kids. This year, when they were 10 and 13, they had their own cabin (across the hall) for the first time. This was finally a vacation!!!! I would never have them in the same cabin with us again.

It wasn't just the extra space. My DH and I actually had some privacy:D .

We also had space - and extra drawers! There weren't clothes everywhere. The balcony was a treat, not just a place to escape to.

This is just my opinion and what works for my family.

Have fun with your family whatever you decide.

The kids would have a TON more to do on Navigator.... and remember if the bathroom thing becomes an issue, there are showers in the SPA!!! and they are BIG!!! JMO, but there is no comparison between the 2 ships, Navigator wins hands down.

~Jen

Well I want to thank everyone for their input! What I'm seeing is that there are recommendations for both options, but I noticed that the ones suggesting I stick with the Rhapsody cruise are doing so mainly because of the two cabins, vs. those recommending the Navigator, which are mainly due to the ship (and in a couple cases the itinerary).

From all that I'm gathering, both here and by learning more about the ships, I do believe that the kids would LOVE the Navigator, far more than the Rhapsody (not that they wouldn't enjoy Rhapsody, just that Navigator has a lot more to offer). Also, in learning more about the itineraries, I'm beginning to believe that I would prefer the Eastern itinerary over the Western.

So it boils down to, do we want these dang kids in the cabin with us? There are pros and cons, of course. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the Navigator at this point. Having them in the cabin with us is not that big a deal to me -- yes privacy is an issue, but DH and I just returned from a VERY romantic Windstar cruise in Costa Rica (NO kids!). Plus, we'll be going back to a resort in Costa Rica for a week in December, and we'll have our own rooms. So I'm fine with the no-privacy issue for this cruise.

This cruise is really more for the kids anyway, as a reward for the major improvements they made this year in their grades. I feel like given that's the primary reason, I really should be considering what they want more than what I want.

I discussed the cabin sitch with them, and they are both fine with being in the cabin with us. The D1 balcony cabin is certainly bigger than the inside cabins, and it does have two separate areas, with a curtain between them. I presume that the extra two bunks are in the sitting room area, so that does afford some privacy. But once they saw the difference in the two ships, they were begging to switch to the Navigator.

So, I'm working on getting that done. I hope I can snag one of those cabins before they are snapped up! Thanks again to everyone for your opinions -- I always get so much help on this board, and enjoy reading all the different perspectives. Happy cruising! :)

LeeAnne

Check with RCCL or your TA, but by my looking at the deck plans for the Navigator, it appears the D-1 Balconies have a single sofa bed, not any pull down bunks, so I "think" your kids would be sharing the queen size sofa bed. Just something else to think about...

Thanks, Murphy, good info!...I just checked, and she says that the ones we're looking at have both the pull-out sofa AND a pulldown bunk. So my daughter will get the sofa, and my son will get the bunk.

And it does show that it has a curtain, too, so that will help with the privacy issue.

I'm still in process, but it looks like it's gonna happen! :)

LeeAnne

Archived