Premier-Unlimited Specialty dining?

phabric

On 9/1/2024 at 8:15 AM, memoak said:

even if they did that they would have to limit the amount of premier packages

Which they already do.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:35 AM, dog said:

On my Discovery cruise in a suite less then 6 days they gave us free specialty dining in first night. I was able to book it precruise online.

Embarcation night is a slow one for SD. That's why it makes a good suite perk.

9 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Which they already do.

Embarcation night is a slow one for SD. That's why it makes a good suite perk.

I think the question is “Will the new premier package limit suite passengers choices on embarkation day “. ?

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 5:35 PM, memoak said:

Boy listening to all this I am glad I roll with Plus. I only need maybe 2 SD meals a cruise and get one from being in a suite. We somehow always get by with 15 drinks a day  plus some coffee drinks 

We won’t be getting the premier on our Grand/Crown class cruises next year but will most likely be getting it for all our upcoming Royal class sailings.  The value is day and night between the class of ship.  Only one casual dining venue is available on the Crown and it’s so busy in there by the time they open.  And there is no meal available for lunchtime.  Sure, there is Vines but I would hardly call the charcuterie board a meal. 

Anyway, I hear you loud and clear.  We don’t need more drinks, maybe just better quality wines.  The Canyon Road is just icky.  We do appreciate the ships with Alfredo’s or Gigi's being open all day and sushi available, at least on the Discovery, which makes for a nice lunch.  We’ve seen all the production shows many times and don’t tend to go unless it’s on the Discovery for Spotlight Bar, Rock Opera.  I do love the unlimited photos but we’ve got so many, it’s not an absolute necessity anymore.  We won a big prize on the Discovery earlier this year through Princess Prizes, so that made it so worthwhile.  I never go to the exercise classes or eat those desserts, so those are lost on me.  I’ve tried the juice bar in the past but, personally, I like the veggie smoothie in the IC better.  But most of all, I can take or leave Sabatini’s and the Crown Grill.  I much prefer the Catch and Harmony, as on the Majestic.  We never end up ordering the whole meal anyway.  We only order what we can eat and eat all that we order.  So, that’s a great option for those restaurants that have an a la carte menu, such as the GastroPub.  It will be a savings from buying the premier package on those Crown class ships.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We won’t be getting the premier on our Grand/Crown class cruises next year but will most likely be getting it for all our upcoming Royal class sailings.  The value is day and night between the class of ship.  Only one casual dining venue is available on the Crown and it’s so busy in there by the time they open.  And there is no meal available for lunchtime.  Sure, there is Vines but I would hardly call the charcuterie board a meal. 

Anyway, I hear you loud and clear.  We don’t need more drinks, maybe just better quality wines.  The Canyon Road is just icky.  We do appreciate the ships with Alfredo’s or Gigi's being open all day and sushi available, at least on the Discovery, which makes for a nice lunch.  We’ve seen all the production shows many times and don’t tend to go unless it’s on the Discovery for Spotlight Bar, Rock Opera.  I do love the unlimited photos but we’ve got so many, it’s not an absolute necessity anymore.  We won a big prize on the Discovery earlier this year through Princess Prizes, so that made it so worthwhile.  I never go to the exercise classes or eat those desserts, so those are lost on me.  I’ve tried the juice bar in the past but, personally, I like the veggie smoothie in the IC better.  But most of all, I can take or leave Sabatini’s and the Crown Grill.  I much prefer the Catch and Harmony, as on the Majestic.  We never end up ordering the whole meal anyway.  We only order what we can eat and eat all that we order.  So, that’s a great option for those restaurants that have an a la carte menu, such as the GastroPub.  It will be a savings from buying the premier package on those Crown class ships.  

We obviously have some differences. For us Harmony is a no go because the menu to us is boring. We are big favorites of Sabatini’s and find one charcuterie plate at Vines a perfect lunch for the two of us. We really only drink wine at dinner and most wines we like are not available by the glass so we get a bottle and drink it over 2 nights. Each to their own. Oh and we have totally given up on the Gastropub after experiencing it on several ships

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, memoak said:

We obviously have some differences. For us Harmony is a no go because the menu to us is boring. We are big favorites of Sabatini’s and find one charcuterie plate at Vines a perfect lunch for the two of us. We really only drink wine at dinner and most wines we like are not available by the glass so we get a bottle and drink it over 2 nights. Each to their own. Oh and we have totally given up on the Gastropub after experiencing it on several ships

Yes, we do have differences!  I love the GastroPub but am excited for trying O’Malley’s.  I just wish the GastroPub was open for lunch.  I hear O’Malley’s might give us that option, at least on sea days. I could also eat at Harmony every other day, if not just for their hot and sour soup.  But, I really meant that previous post to quote @Retired-N-Happy.  

PS .. one the rare occasion when we booked a suite, we were skunked out of our specialty dinner on embarkation night and they arranged it for the following evening.  That worked out even better for us.  Plus, we tend to just go with the flow and never complain about anything unless it is truly warranted.  We have such gratitude for even being able to cruise and have made some dear lifelong friends we’ve made along the way. 

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, we do have differences!  I love the GastroPub but am excited for trying O’Malley’s.  I just wish the GastroPub was open for lunch.  I hear O’Malley’s might give us that option, at least on sea days. I could also eat at Harmony every other day, if not just for their hot and sour soup.  But, I really meant that previous post to quote @Retired-N-Happy.  

PS .. one the rare occasion when we booked a suite, we were skunked out of our specialty dinner on embarkation night and they arranged it for the following evening.  That worked out even better for us.  Plus, we tend to just go with the flow and never complain about anything unless it is truly warranted.  We have such gratitude for even being able to cruise and have made some dear lifelong friends we’ve made along the way. 

Were you denied SD dining on embarkation day regardless of time or were they not able to give you the times you wanted. We always ask to eat later than 7:30 and have never had an issue. If they told you they had no times at all I would have referred to the suite perks

1 minute ago, memoak said:

Were you denied SD dining on embarkation day regardless of time or were they not able to give you the times you wanted. We always ask to eat later than 7:30 and have never had an issue. If they told you they had no times at all I would have referred to the suite perks

We were linked with our neighbors and their mom, so it was a party of 5.  They really wanted to go to the Crown Grill and they had no openings at all on embarkation night.  This was before the pandemic and on the Grand Princess, so no suite concierge there.  but, we’d much rather go for specialty dining on the second night so, when he offered us that, we jumped on it!  
PS .. We never put up a fuss when we are on a cruise anyway if there is a reasonable solution offered.  Plus, it’s so much healthier for all of us to not get upset with any perceived offense. If I have to take anything positive from CoVid, it is that it taught me the lesson of being grateful for every day I wake up and am still breathing.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We were linked with our neighbors and their mom, so it was a party of 5.  They really wanted to go to the Crown Grill and they had no openings at all on embarkation night.  This was before the pandemic and on the Grand Princess, so no suite concierge there.  but, we’d much rather go for specialty dining on the second night so, when he offered us that, we jumped on it!  
PS .. We never put up a fuss when we are on a cruise anyway if there is a reasonable solution offered.  Plus, it’s so much healthier for all of us to not get upset with any perceived offense. If I have to take anything positive from CoVid, it is that it taught me the lesson of being grateful for every day I wake up and am still breathing.  

And getting my updated Covid vaccine before we sail in 3 weeks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

And getting my updated Covid vaccine before we sail in 3 weeks

I just got a very mild case of CoVid last month so, no need for that vaccine for me.  I may get a flu vax next week, though.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I just got a very mild case of CoVid last month so, no need for that vaccine for me.  I may get a flu vax next week, though.  

We are getting Covid on the 12th and Flu on the 22nd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

O'Malley's?

34 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It’s funny, because we always like to go on embarkation day while we are still hungry. After a few days of nonstop food, we are full. 

drive down day and stay at Hilton is our day 1 - then boarding day we are booked at Catch

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I am doubtful. People don't like to go to SD on embarkation day. See @Cruise Raider's post above.

If people invest in Premier over a 7 or 14 day cruise, you don't think they will want to go to a SD on embarkation day just because the demand was less in the past?  

We booked it on the Sun for 14 days in January and have 13 nights reserved at this point including embarkation day.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

If people invest in Premier over a 7 or 14 day cruise, you don't think they will want to go to a SD on embarkation day just because the demand was less in the past?  

The reasons demand is less have not gone away. I do not think *most* people with Premier90 are going to book SD every day of their entire cruise. Just more than they would if they had Plus or Premier80.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 6:59 PM, t&atravel said:

Sure but if you can, why not?  I would think it would help the venue to have some known seating times for suite guests in advance.  Not required but maybe polite?

We booked hours as well for our October cruise. We wanted to be sure to get an early time slot after a long day. Worked for us just fine.

12 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

The reasons demand is less have not gone away. I do not think *most* people with Premier90 are going to book SD every day of their entire cruise. Just more than they would if they had Plus or Premier80.

I’m with you.  We will be upgrading to the premier onboard once we see if there are any reservations left for 5PM.  We will not be going every night .. not even a chance.  Maybe every third night or maybe even every other night at the most.  We find value in the premier package other than just for the unlimited dining.  But even with that included, we will probably not order an entree with our meal, so we will obviously not be taking up a table for any lengthy period of time.  We usually are full by the time we finish our appetizer and soup or salad, anyway.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

I'd agree with you, somewhat, on those ships that only have 2, or even 3 venues. CG and Sabatini's, even Catch, would likely get old, for many, after 2 or 3 times each per 7 night sailing, or even 14 night cruise.. 

However, take the Sun, with 7 different specialty restaurants, and sailing 7 night itineraries.  I'd venture to guess than many, especially newer cruisers or those transplants from other lines, will be trying a different one every night..  

Heck, even us old timers are looking forward to some change -  we absolutely will be going to a different specialty venue every night, except the few we do in Spellbound or casual dining, or the off buffet night...

Add in the unlimited casual dining, ie the two venues of Alfredo's and O'Malley's - and you e got 9 nights of dining covered under Premier90,

Throw in Spellbound and Love by Britto and you've got 11 nights of different restaurants, with it only sailing 7 night itineraries..  

I would be very surprised if those who buy Premier when sailing on the Sun even bother with MDR at all, or more than a night or two..  the older ships, with limited venues - the MDR makes a nice change on occasion...

(yes,. obviously, loads of people doing back to backs, and there's that one 5 nighter in October, and the spring/fall transatlantics, before anyone bites my head off or points out the obvious).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Guess we'll agree to disagree.  If I pay an additional 60 per day for the two of us to upgrade from Plus to Premier, I will be sure to eat in a SD restaurant all 14 days.  That's 840 over the the course of 14 days.  There are certain drinks on the Sphere Class ships that are between 16-20 that would reduce the 840 extra, but the overwhelming majority of the extra monies will go towards SD.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Guess we'll agree to disagree.  If I pay an additional 60 per day for the two of us to upgrade from Plus to Premier, I will be sure to eat in a SD restaurant all 14 days.  That's 840 over the the course of 14 days.  There are certain drinks on the Sphere Class ships that are between 16-20 that would reduce the 840 extra, but the overwhelming majority of the extra monies will go towards SD.  

Yuo, agree wholeheartedly, as the Sphere class ships are a totally different animal from older Princess ships.

7 specialty restaurants - very easy to enjoy a different one each night, plus the casual venues for two more nights - no problem "getting money's worth" there. 

And the more expensive drinks on Sun (and presumably Star) make Premier even more useful, a long with unlimited. So no worries on ordering doubles 

And reserved theater seating - well worth it on Sun, with the too small venue...

On older ships, with only 2 options - maybe not as useful, but the unlimited drinks, pics, etc. make up the difference...

• Like 3