How many have Covid after Queen Anne H420, 18th-28th Aug 24?

Ukulele girl

On 8/31/2024 at 2:37 PM, Ukulele girl said:

Our last cruise on QE to Alaska in 2022 gave my husband Covid for the first time with dire consequences and now I have caught it on this one. I think our cruising days are probably over. 

Has anyone else who was on the cruise caught it?

You can catch it anywhere. And it is here we just have to deal with it near impossible to avoid unless you are a literal hermit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

You can catch it anywhere. And it is here we just have to deal with it near impossible to avoid unless you are a literal hermit.

Yes, it’s everywhere, indeed. 

I just mistakenly stumbled on a QE roll call thread for a voyage that ended on August 30. The post-cruise chatter is about several coming home with Covid. 

On 9/1/2024 at 2:44 PM, QA24 said:

Was on Queen Anne to Iceland in July after not cruising for many years. Was shocked by the amount of people openly coughing their guts up without covering their mouths. Said to other half on day 3 it felt like a plague ship. Managed to avoid it until the last day when I had flu like symptoms and did a test when we got home which confirmed it. There was a very old demographic on board and it just felt like they'd learned nothing from the pandemic. Really liked the ship overall but would avoid the theatre and coach trips next time.

We were on the July 14th sailing and I noticed a lot of people coughing into the air without even trying to cover their mouths. I really appreciated that the buffet was behind glass and served by the crew on this cruise.

Hmm... the prevalence of Covid on the QA is a little worrying and we're travelling out of Southampton on 11th October - just a short 4 night cruise.

Thing is, my husband caught Covid on Celebrity in 2022 when the rules were a strict 10 day isolation - not fun at all.  And in June this year we both caught it on an Alaska cruise with Princess.  Our odds are not good!  (I've also caught it 3 other times - each time on holiday - twice abroad and once in London).  And I've never found it to be mild....

But what are we to do?  Stop living our lives and continuing to take lots of precautions and miss years of parties, concerts, sports events, holidays?  I don't know the answer to that and we each make our own choices.

But I think if either of us catches it on a cruise again we might have to act differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busymumofthree said:

Hmm... the prevalence of Covid on the QA is a little worrying and we're travelling out of Southampton on 11th October - just a short 4 night cruise.

Thing is, my husband caught Covid on Celebrity in 2022 when the rules were a strict 10 day isolation - not fun at all.  And in June this year we both caught it on an Alaska cruise with Princess.  Our odds are not good!  (I've also caught it 3 other times - each time on holiday - twice abroad and once in London).  And I've never found it to be mild....

But what are we to do?  Stop living our lives and continuing to take lots of precautions and miss years of parties, concerts, sports events, holidays?  I don't know the answer to that and we each make our own choices.

But I think if either of us catches it on a cruise again we might have to act differently.

We have spent four weeks on QA so far and haven't seen hide nor tail of any Covid.

A few have obviously been unlucky. That does not equate to 'prevalence'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We have spent four weeks on QA so far and haven't seen hide nor tail of any Covid.

4 hours ago, busymumofthree said:

I was on the next crossing and was fine. You can’t prevent people bringing it on unfortunately. 

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm sorry if the word 'prevalence' offends you.  Clearly I should have said 'various reports of sickness from those who have been on the ship recently'.

To me, 22 people on one Whatsapp chat, or on one group thread on here, reporting back just 2 or 3 days after the sailing, is quite a lot for one sailing.

And my reason for commenting was clearly not to scaremonger or sensationalise the issue, but my comments were simply reflecting my own concern having contracted Covid twice on cruises already.  I'm on this thread to note all of the comments and tips that others have about avoiding it for this next time around....

• Like 1

I too am all for avoiding it next time around. We have always done a lot of hand washing and sanitising and avoid touching anything unnecessary, it would seem this puts in a good place to avoid norovirus, indeed we have avoided it so far.

However, such is the clever nature of Covid it makes itself really hard to avoid. Seemingly some people can avoid it and others cannot even though they have been on exactly the same cruise ship and even the same cruise. From what I've read here and other places online, it seems there are limited extra things we can do:

Use a face mask in the terminal, it was a long queue in Southampton, we weren't there more than 30 mins, but we were in very close proximity to a lot of people.

Face mask on shuttle buses

Don't ignore coughing, there will be people innocently coughing of course, but equally this may not be the case, if it is possible to be more vigilant and it is possible to move away, then we will. But this will be difficult if we're enjoying, say, a theatre show or lecture.

Beyond that, any measure would start to impinge on our enjoyment of the cruise, we don't want to wear a mask at dinner or the Queen's Room where we enjoy spending time.

So we have to balance our love of cruising with the risk of catching the Covid virus, or indeed any airborne virus. 2 cruises, and Covid both times, we're hoping to avoid it on QM2 next Feb, fingers crossed!

• Thanks 1

Offends  busymumofthree?

I'm not offended at all. I don't get offended with an online site.

Prevalent means common/widespread and in fairness to the ship in question, there might be comments on social media from those who had Covid onboard but the thousands who haven't been affected so far, don't comment and so on balance, Covid might be onboard but it's not prevalent onboard.

On 9/7/2024 at 11:19 PM, snowballs mom said:

We were on the July 14th sailing and I noticed a lot of people coughing into the air without even trying to cover their mouths. I really appreciated that the buffet was behind glass and served by the crew on this cruise.

This, definitely resonates with me.  We were on Queen Anne last week (had a fantastic time btw) but there was a certain demographic who happily coughed and spluttered away without any regard for anybody around them.  We were sat in the Chart Room one afternoon and the chap next to us started coughing away and asked his wife for the lozenges...we swiftly left.  We did start seeing masks cropping up around the ship towards the end of the trip and wondered if these were Covid cases who'd been asked to wear masks while out and about rather than people being cautious.

Anyway, been home three days and DH tested positive for Covid this morning 😔 

However, as I said to him this morning, we both wfh and don't come into contact with people as much as we used to so don't get the chance to build up any immunity to any bugs going around (I came home from a trip on QV last year with a nasty non Covid lurgy) and you couldn't say that if we went to a land based hotel holiday that it would be any different.  So I don't think it'll put us off cruising, although I do wish that people would be more considerate on board (and I do wish I'd booked that next cruise before he tested positive and the grump set in 😂)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, human nature as it is, there will always be those who are 'generous' with their bugs.

The 'Cunard Cough' is a legend in its own lifetime and makes its presence felt on nearly every two week plus cruises we've been on especially Worldies [segments for us].

On worldies, it develops and spreads quite nicely, on one/two weekers, it's def. brought onboard and is kindly spread by the end of two weeks.

It is what it is and as mentioned, thanks to a period of isolation '20/'21,and those wfh more, immunity can be quite low for many

1 hour ago, esc4p33 said:

I too am all for avoiding it next time around. We have always done a lot of hand washing and sanitising and avoid touching anything unnecessary, it would seem this puts in a good place to avoid norovirus, indeed we have avoided it so far.

However, such is the clever nature of Covid it makes itself really hard to avoid. Seemingly some people can avoid it and others cannot even though they have been on exactly the same cruise ship and even the same cruise. From what I've read here and other places online, it seems there are limited extra things we can do:

Use a face mask in the terminal, it was a long queue in Southampton, we weren't there more than 30 mins, but we were in very close proximity to a lot of people.

Face mask on shuttle buses

Don't ignore coughing, there will be people innocently coughing of course, but equally this may not be the case, if it is possible to be more vigilant and it is possible to move away, then we will. But this will be difficult if we're enjoying, say, a theatre show or lecture.

Beyond that, any measure would start to impinge on our enjoyment of the cruise, we don't want to wear a mask at dinner or the Queen's Room where we enjoy spending time.

So we have to balance our love of cruising with the risk of catching the Covid virus, or indeed any airborne virus. 2 cruises, and Covid both times, we're hoping to avoid it on QM2 next Feb, fingers crossed!

I have had Covid twice on cruises, and, while there is no possible way of knowing for sure, because of the timing and my general behaviour on board, I am inclined to think I caught it in the terminal at least once, possibly twice. The terminals get very crowded, people mill around close to each other, and the buildings don’t seem very well ventilated. Some of the people inside are almost bound unknowingly to have Covid. But there is really not much one can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busymumofthree said:

I'm sorry if the word 'prevalence' offends you.  Clearly I should have said 'various reports of sickness from those who have been on the ship recently'.

To me, 22 people on one Whatsapp chat, or on one group thread on here, reporting back just 2 or 3 days after the sailing, is quite a lot for one sailing.

And my reason for commenting was clearly not to scaremonger or sensationalise the issue, but my comments were simply reflecting my own concern having contracted Covid twice on cruises already.  I'm on this thread to note all of the comments and tips that others have about avoiding it for this next time around....

Interesting you note the groups of 22, If 22 people  who were presumably unknown to each other before the cruise caught Covid on the same cruise and co incidentally, are all in contact with each other after the cruise, probably spread it amounst themselves on the cruise.

The reality is that if you are spending a great deal of time with a bunch of strangers you increase the likelihood of catching something purely from being around people carrying different strains of illness from the ones that are circulating locally to you. How many threads have we had about the Cunard Cough over the years?

I know when I head off for a work conference that I'll be heading home with some sort of bug to recover from. It has always happened and will likely continue to happen, the only difference now is that people are testing for a specific bug rather than just grumbling about picking up a cold or flu.

• Like 4