GRATUITIES/TIPS/DAILY SERVICE CHARGE – ULTIMATE GUIDE

Guindalf

41 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I couldn't disagree more - just one example of many:

In March 2019 we did B2B cruises to celebrate our Golden Wedding. Towards the end we were talking to Olissia our favourite server in Al Bacio and she said her nect contract would be on  Silhouette sailing from Southampton. I told her we would be doing a b2b on the ship first to the Canary Islands then staying on for the TA and on the first section we would be travelling with my brother and his wife on their first ever cruise - would she have my latte ready when we boarded.

Fast forward to October and as always as we went to the Al Bacio to wait for cabin to be ready. We found a table for 4 and as soon as we sat down Olissia put a latte down in front of me. My brother thought it was a set up but before I could say anything Olissia said to my wife "I'm sorry Miss Anita I didn't bring you a drink as you change your mind and I didn't know if you would want a latte, English breakfast tea or a weak hot chocolate". Later that day I remembered that Olissia didn't usually start work until later in the day and asked her if her shifts had been changed . Oh no she said " i just changed shifts for today to be there when you boarded".

We actually have experienced the same situation on the Equinox, being remembered by Bianca in Cafe Al Baccio.

We really appreciate it and certainly do not expect it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texed said:

It is amazing they can remember the things they remember, isn't it?  Like the bar tender in Michael's that I hadn't seen in three or four years said, " Tex, why didn't you get word to me that you were coming?  I would have had your preferred wine ready for you."  I couldn't believe he remembered me by name and wine.  😊

Please, don't be so naive. Like he has not said that to many LOL

Lemme see, 3500 per cruise, X 52 weeks per year x 3 years ...about 1 million people but you are special?? LOL

As I said, they are pleasant and polite to everyone...ther livelihood depends on making you feel "special" 🙂

Edited by pete_coach
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, eric4395 said:

we are not removing ours either just doing it the way we wish to do it

Technically, I think you are still doing it the way Celebrity wants it done. It's my understanding that by removing the automatic service charge and "doing it the way you wish", your stateroom attendant must turn in any cash he gets and it goes back into the pool that you neglected. 

Your actions, which you may think are more fair, are actually penal to someone that directly services you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

tips have never been included in cruises from the UK.

That’s not strictly true.
When we switched to cruising with Celebrity the price included a classic drink package, basic WiFi and tips. There were lots of complaints from those who didn’t want these items included and subsequently for the last three/four cruises that we have done these have become add-ons to the price of the room. At first all three items were included in the add-on price but now the ‘upgrade’ price includes classic drinks and basic WiFi with gratuities being charged extra. 
We felt we got better value for money when all three were included - but it’s hard to make a true comparison as prices generally have increased so much since Covid. 

• Like 2

Just now, the penguins said:

I didn't say "nobody does" but you said "many do" which I simply don't believe is true. If the vast majority of passengers didn't pay the auto tips in full Celebrity would be forced to introduce a different system.

Sorry again but as the total sum you are spending remains the same  clearly you are removing tips from some crew members to give it to others

Yes I will say it again that's what WE prefer to do, nobody elses business. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First a little simple math for cabin stewards.  Based on the very useful guide @the penguins posted, the average daily gratuity for a cabin steward (housekeeping) is $5.40.  Assuming double occupancy and a steward covering 16 cabins (I've read on CC that it may be more), a typical cabin steward would earn US $172.80/day, or $5,184 per month plus room (albeit often shared and cramped) and board.   Not a king's ransom by any means, but I speculate (without knowing for sure) that is much more than they would earn working in a Nike factory back home. 

I do not begrudge them one penny as they work long hard hours 7 days a week for that money. They are away from their families for many months at a time and rarely get a day off.  

We have always given additional amounts to a variety of on-board people above the auto-gratuities (or more than the recommended amounts back in the old cash in envelopes days).  We have done it in large part because we can afford it and we appreciate how hard they work to make our cruise enjoyable, but almost never because they have done something "exceptional".   

Like some of the people commenting on this thread, we have never really understood some of the "exceptional" staff comments on CC, often followed by some weird explanation like "they always smiled and said good morning when we passed them in the hall."  I am impressed (but not surprised) by some of the examples in this thread of what truly is exceptional service, well beyond what would be considered part of their job.  I say "not surprised" because our experience, with only a few rare exceptions, has been that the majority of the on-board staff do an excellent job of delivering an outstanding vacation.  And some of them do seem to have freakishly good memories.

If only Celebrity hired and trained as well for people in head office...

APAD

• Like 2

On 8/31/2024 at 1:07 PM, buchhalm said:

What makes one exceptional?

While on the Edge - we casually mention to our room stewardess that our bed was making creaky noises (not from us). Within 30 minutes we had a new bed that did not creak. We didn't ask for a new bed. We never had to ask for anything for our room - she anticipated our "needs". Yes we did tip her extra at the end. Maybe that's why other guest get exceptional service and others may not😂  Happy travels!

2 minutes ago, A Pound a Day said:

First a little simple math for cabin stewards.  Based on the very useful guide @the penguins posted, the average daily gratuity for a cabin steward (housekeeping) is $5.40.  Assuming double occupancy and a steward covering 16 cabins (I've read on CC that it may be more), a typical cabin steward would earn US $172.80/day, or $5,184 per month plus room (albeit often shared and cramped) and board.   Not a king's ransom by any means, but I speculate (without knowing for sure) that is much more than they would earn working in a Nike factory back home. 

I do not begrudge them one penny as they work long hard hours 7 days a week for that money. They are away from their families for many months at a time and rarely get a day off.  

We have always given additional amounts to a variety of on-board people above the auto-gratuities (or more than the recommended amounts back in the old cash in envelopes days).  We have done it in large part because we can afford it and we appreciate how hard they work to make our cruise enjoyable, but almost never because they have done something "exceptional".   

Like some of the people commenting on this thread, we have never really understood some of the "exceptional" staff comments on CC, often followed by some weird explanation like "they always smiled and said good morning when we passed them in the hall."  I am impressed (but not surprised) by some of the examples in this thread of what truly is exceptional service, well beyond what would be considered part of their job.  I say "not surprised" because our experience, with only a few rare exceptions, has been that the majority of the on-board staff do an excellent job of delivering an outstanding vacation.  And some of them do seem to have freakishly good memories.

If only Celebrity hired and trained as well for people in head office...

APAD

And in your example, the $5184/month is just their grats, not including their base salary.  So $62k in grats only...

2 hours ago, Texed said:

It is amazing they can remember the things they remember, isn't it?  Like the bar tender in Michael's that I hadn't seen in three or four years said, " Tex, why didn't you get word to me that you were coming?  I would have had your preferred wine ready for you."  I couldn't believe he remembered me by name and wine.  😊

Best one recently was the security guy called me by name before scanning my Xpress pass and boarding the ship.  Hadn't seen him in 18 months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Best one recently was the security guy called me by name before scanning my Xpress pass and boarding the ship.  Hadn't seen him in 18 months.

Uh huh.  Yup.  We know your type.  Well remembered by not a server at Al Bacio, but instead, by security! 😄  Whaja do?  Try to bring in one of them surge suppressor power strips, or ... 🤪😆🤣

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Liao said:

And in your example, the $5184/month is just their grats, not including their base salary.  So $62k in grats only...

Their contracts are 6-9 months on and 2-3 months off.  They also have to pay their transportation 1 direction.  I don't believe they get much of anything as a "base" salary.   I do know they have better work rules in the last 10 years.  I believe it's 11 hrs per day max.  That's the reason you have to wait until 1-1:30 to occupy your room as they have a couple of hour break.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Uh huh.  Yup.  We know your type.  Well remembered by not a server at Al Bacio, but instead, by security! 😄  Whaja do?  Try to bring in one of them surge suppressor power strips, or ... 🤪😆🤣

Better than a Bartender and Security😀

25 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Their contracts are 6-9 months on and 2-3 months off.  They also have to pay their transportation 1 direction.  I don't believe they get much of anything as a "base" salary.   I do know they have better work rules in the last 10 years.  I believe it's 11 hrs per day max.  That's the reason you have to wait until 1-1:30 to occupy your room as they have a couple of hour break.

They get a base and it is on avg. $2k/month

2 hours ago, horseymike said:

We actually have experienced the same situation on the Equinox, being remembered by Bianca in Cafe Al Baccio.

We really appreciate it and certainly do not expect it.

Bianca is amazing.  She knew how much I love the lemon tarts and always had 3 set aside for me.

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

no waiting for your cabin any more - you go straight there (average time from arrival at terminal to being in your cabin under 20 minutes) and your sea pass is waiting for you. Leave your bags, go to your muster station to sign on and you are free to explore.

Normal contracted hours are 8 a day - no full days off for the duration of the contract - hours can be increased to meet specific events - for example norovirus where extra cleaning is needed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

no waiting for your cabin any more - you go straight there (average time from arrival at terminal to being in your cabin under 20 minutes) and your sea pass is waiting for you. Leave your bags, go to your muster station to sign on and you are free to explore.

Poster had said "That's the reason you have to wait until 1-1:30 to occupy your room..."

Emphasis on "occupy".  We've dropped our bags upon boarding for so long I can't even remember when we didn't.  But it still takes a while before the 'turn' work is complete. 

The only glorious exception we've had to this was when we were the first aboard after a big dry dock refresh of Constellation November 2021.  All of the cabins had been ready for pax for quite some days.  Butler dropped us off at our cabin at around 11:30, and we didn't budge until lunch at 1pm!  We spent our time on our veranda railing watching the last minute provisioning.  We enjoy that.  Weird, but we enjoy it every cruise.  No .. weird is when seeing a new industrial washing machine gets loaded is an 'event'.  What can I say?  We're fascinated by the logistics.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Poster had said "That's the reason you have to wait until 1-1:30 to occupy your room..."

Emphasis on "occupy".  We've dropped our bags upon boarding for so long I can't even remember when we didn't.  But it still takes a while before the 'turn' work is complete. 

The only glorious exception we've had to this was when we were the first aboard after a big dry dock refresh of Constellation November 2021.  All of the cabins had been ready for pax for quite some days.  Butler dropped us off at our cabin at around 11:30, and we didn't budge until lunch at 1pm!  We spent our time on our veranda railing watching the last minute provisioning.  We enjoy that.  Weird, but we enjoy it every cruise.  No .. weird is when seeing a new industrial washing machine gets loaded is an 'event'.  What can I say?  We're fascinated by the logistics.

pre covid you collected your sea passes at the check in shore side. Once on the ship the decks with cabins were sealed off until the general announcement that the cabins were ready (Princess still operates this system).

Post covid whatever time you board you go direct to your cabin where your sea passes are on the bed. 

As you mention a Butler perhaps suites were different.

On 8/31/2024 at 9:32 AM, Guindalf said:

It would be great if this could be a sticky in every cruise line. Please feel free to comment if I've missed anything. There is no need to go over old ground and debate whether or not you should partake. that's for another thread. 

Let’s try to end all the questions about the policies and actions concerning when and how much to tip and when to remove gratuities (if at all).

I Do not intend to preach or tell you what you should or should not do. That’s your decision, but I hope I can help you draw your conclusions with your eyes open and not with half-truths, rumors and downright lies.

We’ll start with a clarification of terms.

1.        Daily Service Charge (DSC).

This is the amount added to your account each day and is intended to supplement the income of various members of the crew including stateroom attendant and assistant, wait staff and people behind the scenes that you don’t see. The actual distribution of the DSC is not and should not be your concern. It’s usually something around $15-20 per day but can vary depending on the class of cabin, etc. Compare this to a ‘resort fee’, often charged by hotels, especially in tourist areas like the beach or Las Vegas.

The DSC is often called ‘gratuities’ or ‘tips’, which is technically inaccurate and adds to the confusion. Only education of the terms will help.

The DSC can be removed if you feel that you have not received the exceptional service that is usually provided, and the situation can’t be resolved at the service desk. It should NOT be removed because you feel you want to reward specific people, which should be done with either additional individual gratuities or simply by filling in the ‘exceptional people’ form provided.

2.        Gratuities/Tips.

These are automatically added to services like drinks, specialty dining and spa treatments among others. It’s usually 18-20%. Any time you order a drink, eat in the Steak House, get a massage, or maybe even use the childcare, this charge will be added automatically. If you have a drinks package, and drink that is over the limit of your package will have the gratuity added to the extra amount (example, you order a $12 drink with a $10 limit, you will be charged $2.00 plus 40 cents in gratuity).

Many people like to add a cash tip for a favorite bartender, but that is entirely optional and not necessary. If you have a drinks package, the gratuity is built in and not charged or expected on top.

WHO PAYS?

The answer is simple- YOU DO. Whether it’s called a DSC, a gratuity or a tip, or it’s built in to the cost of the cruise, it’s all part of the crew’s salary. Those that say ‘I’m not tipping because the cruise line should pay’ are hurting the crew and no-one else. The cruise line IS paying, because all wages are paid ultimately by passengers, no matter how it’s presented. If the cruise line doesn’t make money, then neither does the crew. The DSC is presented in a form that gives an incentive to them to perform at their best.

MY OPINION.

OK, this is what I think. I think that all prices should include any gratuities and/or tips. I think the DSC is, or was, a way to keep the overall price down and increase the spend of the passengers once on board. I think now, $140 on a seven-night cruise will not make a difference between cruising or not for most people.

As a Brit who’s lived in the USA for the past 28 years, I’m aware that the tipping culture Is not normal for the average Brit or Australian traveler and tips ARE built into the fare. This is why so many of them are so indignant when sailing on a US-based cruise line. To this I say the rules are there for everyone and do not change based on your nationality. When in Rome, etc.

If you feel that your cabin steward has been exceptional, then please do feel free to give them a tip at the end of the cruise – ON TOP of the DSC. Don’t take it from others. If you feel that a crew member is performing below an acceptable standard, in your opinion, don’t rush to remove the DSC, let Guest Services know immediately so they can put it right for you.

Suite guests have the added dilemma of what to tip the concierge and butler. There is no definitive answer because each person is different. They DO receive a percentage of the elevated DSC, but most feel the need to give them an addition amount, depending on the service requested and given.

Please bear in mind that although it may not be YOUR culture, it IS the culture of the services provided. Until everything is absolutely all-inclusive, you are required to follow the rules, even if your opinions are different.

But the automatic gratuities are not "rules" and can be removed. No passenger is "required to follow".  

Personally, I think you just put this up to express your own opinion on this in the hopes of influencing others. 

It's a ridiculous topic. Only causes trouble. Everyone should do what they feel is appropriate with their own money. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

It's a ridiculous topic. Only causes trouble. Everyone should do what they feel is appropriate with their own money. 

Amen to this. I would only add that part of doing what is "appropriate" includes respecting local norms.

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

At a higher base price and I believe without the option to remove the tips.

The difference is all the cruise lines operating/selling there follows the same rules so it's not a problem.

We would be happy to see the same pricing structure applied to all cruises.

One small step in that direction is that X is now including port fees and taxes in the base price of all cruises which is a welcome change.

Not really higher price. I check on the US website and then the Aus and ours seem much much cheaper but there are of course different refund options etc. 

On 8/31/2024 at 10:32 AM, Guindalf said:

It would be great if this could be a sticky in every cruise line. Please feel free to comment if I've missed anything. There is no need to go over old ground and debate whether or not you should partake. that's for another thread. 

Let’s try to end all the questions about the policies and actions concerning when and how much to tip and when to remove gratuities (if at all).

I Do not intend to preach or tell you what you should or should not do. That’s your decision, but I hope I can help you draw your conclusions with your eyes open and not with half-truths, rumors and downright lies.

We’ll start with a clarification of terms.

1.        Daily Service Charge (DSC).

This is the amount added to your account each day and is intended to supplement the income of various members of the crew including stateroom attendant and assistant, wait staff and people behind the scenes that you don’t see. The actual distribution of the DSC is not and should not be your concern. It’s usually something around $15-20 per day but can vary depending on the class of cabin, etc. Compare this to a ‘resort fee’, often charged by hotels, especially in tourist areas like the beach or Las Vegas.

The DSC is often called ‘gratuities’ or ‘tips’, which is technically inaccurate and adds to the confusion. Only education of the terms will help.

The DSC can be removed if you feel that you have not received the exceptional service that is usually provided, and the situation can’t be resolved at the service desk. It should NOT be removed because you feel you want to reward specific people, which should be done with either additional individual gratuities or simply by filling in the ‘exceptional people’ form provided.

2.        Gratuities/Tips.

These are automatically added to services like drinks, specialty dining and spa treatments among others. It’s usually 18-20%. Any time you order a drink, eat in the Steak House, get a massage, or maybe even use the childcare, this charge will be added automatically. If you have a drinks package, and drink that is over the limit of your package will have the gratuity added to the extra amount (example, you order a $12 drink with a $10 limit, you will be charged $2.00 plus 40 cents in gratuity).

Many people like to add a cash tip for a favorite bartender, but that is entirely optional and not necessary. If you have a drinks package, the gratuity is built in and not charged or expected on top.

WHO PAYS?

The answer is simple- YOU DO. Whether it’s called a DSC, a gratuity or a tip, or it’s built in to the cost of the cruise, it’s all part of the crew’s salary. Those that say ‘I’m not tipping because the cruise line should pay’ are hurting the crew and no-one else. The cruise line IS paying, because all wages are paid ultimately by passengers, no matter how it’s presented. If the cruise line doesn’t make money, then neither does the crew. The DSC is presented in a form that gives an incentive to them to perform at their best.

MY OPINION.

OK, this is what I think. I think that all prices should include any gratuities and/or tips. I think the DSC is, or was, a way to keep the overall price down and increase the spend of the passengers once on board. I think now, $140 on a seven-night cruise will not make a difference between cruising or not for most people.

As a Brit who’s lived in the USA for the past 28 years, I’m aware that the tipping culture Is not normal for the average Brit or Australian traveler and tips ARE built into the fare. This is why so many of them are so indignant when sailing on a US-based cruise line. To this I say the rules are there for everyone and do not change based on your nationality. When in Rome, etc.

If you feel that your cabin steward has been exceptional, then please do feel free to give them a tip at the end of the cruise – ON TOP of the DSC. Don’t take it from others. If you feel that a crew member is performing below an acceptable standard, in your opinion, don’t rush to remove the DSC, let Guest Services know immediately so they can put it right for you.

Suite guests have the added dilemma of what to tip the concierge and butler. There is no definitive answer because each person is different. They DO receive a percentage of the elevated DSC, but most feel the need to give them an addition amount, depending on the service requested and given.

Please bear in mind that although it may not be YOUR culture, it IS the culture of the services provided. Until everything is absolutely all-inclusive, you are required to follow the rules, even if your opinions are different.

I love the ‘behind the scenes’ payments and as you know everyone just loves  a resort fee… so much legislation is pending to eliminate them as ‘junk fees.’IMG_1762.thumb.jpeg.c092010738f7149079ce0cd00f6109ea.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Normal contracted hours are 8 a day - no full days off for the duration of the contract - hours can be increased to meet specific events - for example norovirus where extra cleaning is needed. 

I'm aware you can drop things off but if you notice at that time you won't see stateroom attendants working.  You are still asked to not occupy your room until 1 to 1:30.

11 hours ago, pete_coach said:

The same can go for the servers in the eateries and bartenders.

The waiters take your order, deliver your food, smile and say thank you...what is exceptional? He may say a few platitudes but really,.... exceptional?

Bartenders?  Make a drink for you, like they do for every passenger on the ship. they may talk to you when not busy but... exceptional??

Being cynical but there is not much they do that is not expected or mandated to do.

We've always had amazing sommeliers in Blue.  I'm particular with my wine so I have a favorite on the ship.  After the first night, they have always had bottles set aside for me & I never had to ask.  The sommelier at the wine bar on our first cruise on the Summit many years ago helped me find wines I liked that didn't give me a headache - which is hard to do.  Same with the morning croissants & bread selection.  By day 2, the server remembered our preferences & just brought us "our usual".  Those are the servers that we would tip above & beyond.

• Like 1