School me on the ways of Terrace and Waves

LSuzQ

I don't drink alcohol these days. My partner does. They found it generally OK on Vista earlier in the year, in all restaurant venues. Maybe a bit slow in the Terrace. GDR was absolutely fine until the last night of the cruise. The "sommelier" came nowhere near the table until the main course was all but eaten And that, in spite of twice asking the server to call one for us. And then she made the lame excuse that our table sat between the areas covered by different sommeliers, so wasnt anyone's responsibility. Obvious nonsense. Shame it was the last night because that's an impression you take away with you.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW. I’ve found the service on Nautica to be very good for the most part. A few bobbles here and there, but overall it seems that most give an exceptional effort to do their best. I’ve had very little wait at any venue for wine service in any of the venues. Just like anything if I looked I could find something to complain about, but I’m here to enjoy myself. There’s 600 something of us on board, sometimes I have to wait my turn. 🥃

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Relatively minor annoyance was at breakfast at the Terrace on the Vista typically getting a first cup of coffee was relatively expedient but sometimes flagging someone down for a refill was more challenging than it should have been as the venue is adequately staffed.  A couple of time I would have just gotten up to refill my own coffee cup but understood that is not the protocol.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IDL said:

Relatively minor annoyance was at breakfast at the Terrace on the Vista typically getting a first cup of coffee was relatively expedient but sometimes flagging someone down for a refill was more challenging than it should have been as the venue is adequately staffed.  A couple of time I would have just gotten up to refill my own coffee cup but understood that is not the protocol.  

It certainly is fine according to "protocol" for guests to go to the coffee machines in the Terrace and get a fresh cup of whatever they want.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sailnsurf said:

I meant to ask, before posting above, whether anyone knows if any of the ice cream selection is usually gluten free?

Yes there is usually at least one gf ice cream flavor. And not sure I've ever seen a sorbet on board that wasn't gluten free. Be clear when ordering in Terrace so they don't put a cookie garnish in! 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 3:27 AM, AMHuntFerry said:

I meant to quote Babysreps post#55.Not sure what happened.

But Babysteps thanks for the reply. Good to know. It is the absence of these options which make it hard at times for coeliacs.

2 hours ago, doggfan7 said:

Sorry for this Oceania newbie question, but does Terrace Cafe usually have the same menu items for dinner that are served in the MDR that evening?

Yes, with (as is always the case) exceptions.

On 9/1/2024 at 10:20 PM, Sailnsurf said:

I meant to ask, before posting above, whether anyone knows if any of the ice cream selection is usually gluten free?

I have Celiac so I always check before eating. The simple flavors such as vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry are usually gluten free. You are generally pretty safe if you stick with those. You can always ask the server if there is another flavor that you are interested in. Good luck.

On 9/2/2024 at 11:48 PM, Steve Q said:

I have Celiac so I always check before eating. The simple flavors such as vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry are usually gluten free. You are generally pretty safe if you stick with those. You can always ask the server if there is another flavor that you are interested in. Good luck.

Related - it's easy to DIY interesting dessert choices in Terrace. For example: sliced green apple, vanilla ice cream, sour cream, balsamic vinegar. Most folks find that combo a bit... unusual? I think it's tasty, plus it is gluten free. Yes that's 4 different stations in Terrace - do the 'extra' steps make it healthy lol? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2024 at 3:23 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Waves usually does have a daily special. In the past, they’ve tried (and murdered) a Philly CheeseSteak sandwich.

The only big difference from the GDR or other venue dining is the casualness of the dress, which (depending on what/where you were doing prior to sitting down) can occasionally get out of hand with some folks not wearing (but definitely needing) a swimsuit coverup.

Remember, too, that Waves becomes a pizza place in the evenings. How’s the pizza? It depends on your frame of reference. If this picture looks at all familiar, then Waves (like so many pizzerias across the U.S.) will be a disappointment. That said, however, it’s passable.

IMG_5321.jpeg

We prefer L & B's squares.

Waves pizza is a fun experience but they need to do something about the bright lights out there if is it's supposed to be a romantic evening. 

On 9/1/2024 at 12:20 PM, ORV said:

Just checked. According to those that are working there. On this cruise, on this ship, the Nautica, the Waves Grill salad bar is self serve. This is my recollection on all the Oceania Cruises I’ve been on, Apparently your experiences differ. 

Yet today at lunch it was not self serve. A different world every day. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rainbow3fe said:

We prefer L & B's squares.

Waves pizza is a fun experience but they need to do something about the bright lights out there if is it's supposed to be a romantic evening. 

I agree that the vibe and menu at Waves changes for their dinner pizza service but it certainly not romantic nor was I expecting it to be as it has a “pizza joint” feel as opposed to a small, romantic Italian restaurant feel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDL said:

I agree that the vibe and menu at Waves changes for their dinner pizza service but it certainly not romantic nor was I expecting it to be as it has a “pizza joint” feel as opposed to a small, romantic Italian restaurant feel. 

Our views of romantic settings differ. 

We think it's romantic to sit out on a terrace with a glass of wine, watch the waves and stars and enjoy pizza with salad and fresh burrata. We felt the bright lights were annoying. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 8:23 PM, doggfan7 said:

Sorry for this Oceania newbie question, but does Terrace Cafe usually have the same menu items for dinner that are served in the MDR that evening?

Mostly the same but different specials in GDR.

Newbies should know that almost every night there's fresh sushi in TC. They will always freshly grill your choice of meat, fish or lobster. There are also specialty local food nights. Read Currents for the next day's highlights. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 4:13 PM, Woofa said:

Adding my two cents.

Don't forget that you can, to a degree, mix and match to complete your dinners.  A quick stop by Terrace for some pre dinner sushi, then perhaps a drink at the bar.  Main course at a specialty, if reserved, and if the flavor suits your fancy, finish with a daily souflee in the MDR.  Of course, your on vacation, two desserts are even better.

We also like to enjoy sushi before going to a speciallty restaurant for dinner. We usually have it with a glass of wine out on our Veranda. As far as dessert, we don’t go that far but it's a great suggestion.

Edited by Rainbow3fe
  • Like 4

On 8/31/2024 at 2:48 PM, LSuzQ said:

Please share your insiders tips on how not to be immediately identified as a clueless newbie when dining at the Terrace Cafe or Waves Grill. Must I study the menu before arriving? Is there a different expectation for dinner vs. lunch? Thanks in advance!

Here's the Waves menu.....I always get the Surf and Turf - no bun, no fries.

Vista23_IP-0268.jpg

Surf and Turf 2.JPG

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, durberville said:

^ lovely. But I’ve read the surf and turf is now an Angus beef patty not a filet. True?

Yes, It was when we sailed this past March '24 on the Vista. Let's see what happens this Dec. '24 on Vista. Maybe "O" had  complaints and will bring it back. Either way, not complaining, I'll order it again - no bun, no fries...............    x🍔  x🍟 

12 hours ago, alibaba1 said:

Here's the Waves menu.....I always get the Surf and Turf - no bun, no fries.

Vista23_IP-0268.jpg

Surf and Turf 2.JPG

The Ruben is pretty good.  Also the Cuban.  Sometimes hubby and I will share one (very filling) with a salad 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2024 at 11:20 PM, Sailnsurf said:

A couple of months ago on Marina, there were gluten free ice cream choices. Can't remember if it was every night or just some nights.