Dyson Hairdryer

Sudego

Does anyone know if I can use a Dyson hairdryer on the Eclipse? I have a US one, so it is 110-120 v.   I don't want to bring it if they will just take it away when boarding. Thanks

I've commented on this in virtually every forum here on CC.  As noted in the linked thread, it will be hit or miss as to whether it works or not.  This is due to the dryer using electronics, and not liking the "noise" (fluctuations in the power wave) that is generated on ships by the propulsion system.  Completely out of your control, and fairly random, even on one given ship.  Take an older, cheaper, dryer that just has a switch and a heating element and a fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I've commented on this in virtually every forum here on CC.  As noted in the linked thread, it will be hit or miss as to whether it works or not.  This is due to the dryer using electronics, and not liking the "noise" (fluctuations in the power wave) that is generated on ships by the propulsion system.  Completely out of your control, and fairly random, even on one given ship.  Take an older, cheaper, dryer that just has a switch and a heating element and a fan.

Many bathroom 'tools' of this type also include their own inline GFCI.  What's been your experience with any interaction between those and Hotel power, or is that what you're describing, above?

I have used my Dyson Harirblower on a few cruises, they do not take it but I have noticed that I have to put the fan on low & the heat on medium to make it work great.  I used to use the fan on medium as well but found the current on Celebrity was too strong to use both on medium & it would be overheated & cut out.  Just an FYI.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, canderson said:

Many bathroom 'tools' of this type also include their own inline GFCI.  What's been your experience with any interaction between those and Hotel power, or is that what you're describing, above?

That is another area of problem, but caused by the same symptom.  On land, the grid is so large that noise caused by users are spread so thin that they don't affect electronics like GFCI or "digital motors" that use electronics for fan speed control and heat control.  However, on a ship, the noise is caused by the power converters for the propulsion system and AC chillers, and these can draw many times the power supplied to the hotel services, so the noise is way more apparent.  Of course, the floating ground system is another source of noise.  Basically, we don't use GFCI on ships due to the "dirty" power curves.

37 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Don’t the cabins usually have a hair dryer? A walk out on decks is all I need, dry hair.. 🙂

Just think.  A few more years and you won't even need the walk! 😉

8 hours ago, Sudego said:

Does anyone know if I can use a Dyson hairdryer on the Eclipse? I have a US one, so it is 110-120 v.   I don't want to bring it if they will just take it away when boarding. Thanks

I just got off of Eclipse on 8/16 and used mine every day on high with either medium of high heat level without any issue.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 1

Probably not helpful, but we recently disembarked the SilverSea Endeavour (originally built for the old Crystal). We had a bottom of the barrel cabin, and it had a Dyson hairdryer. I would guss the rest of the cabins did, too. 

That ship is much newer than the Eclipse, of course, so it may have been engineered to handle the noise Chief referenced. 

Good luck to the OP.

13 hours ago, Sudego said:

Just off Solstice. My US Dyson hairdryer would not turn on in the bathroom. I had to use the US outlet at the vanity area.

• Like 1

I should clarify my post #10 above. I used my Dyson hairdryer at the desk and plugged it into the US outlet. The bathroom outlets on the S-class ships (Solstice, Eclipse, Equinox, Silhouette and Reflection) are only for low voltage items like electric shavers. I had no issues using it there on any X ship.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Don’t the cabins usually have a hair dryer? A walk out on decks is all I need, dry hair.. 🙂

I have, over the years, decided the only way to dry one’s hair on a cruise is to sit on a balcony with a glass of white wine…If I don’t have the glass of white wine then when I look in the mirror my hair has gone frizzy, after the glass of white wine it look fine…

• Like 3
  • Haha 5