Passport expiry date

gold1953

22 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

yes . I am applying for a new one .. but seriously I am one day short of my 6 months for travel on the cruise. It docks on Nov 21 and passport expires on May 20

Without knowing the itinerary, even presuming Canadian citizenship, not really possible to comment. Rules differ depending on ports of call and sometimes cruise line.

Many cruises out of US and Canadian ports do not have a six month requirement for Canadian and US passports.

How strict is Celebrity these days with the 6-month rule, as both Spain and Portugal only require that your passport be valid for 3 months beyond your date of departure from the Schengen area? I'm not suggesting not renewing - we always ensure we have 6 months in hand on our passports - but I'm wondering if Celebrity would actually refuse you boarding were you to not renew. 

I think its more of a cruise line thing than the country.

Mine is a week and a half short so I just came back from Service Ontario today getting it renewed. I also have a UK passport which I could have possibly used but the Canadian one is easier for traveling to the US.

In 2023 my other half was notified by CCL 10 days before a TA crossing, and 6 days before our flight, that his passport would expire while we were in Europe and he’d be denied boarding in Tampa. That was very close as it was Thursday before Easter long weekend and we had just enough time to make it to the passport office for an 48 hour turnaround and plans to pick it up on the Tuesday, which was a snow day and they were closed. Thankful that we were able to pick it up just in time. 

On 9/4/2024 at 4:11 PM, gold1953 said:

yes . I am applying for a new one .. but seriously I am one day short of my 6 months for travel on the cruise. It docks on Nov 21 and passport expires on May 20

Every country has their standard, and for both Spain and Portugal Canadians only need 3 months on the passport so you would be fine.  If the final port is USA you are also ok. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

If this is a cruise line policy, then this all comes down to whether the cruise line will deny you boarding because of that one day.  Technically you do not need more than 3 months for Spain, Portugal, or the USA.

However, if one day did not matter, then nor would two days or three days.  A six month rule is a six month rule.  If they allow 1 day grace, then I should be allowed grace for 2 or 3 days.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

Every country has their standard, and for both Spain and Portugal Canadians only need 3 months on the passport so you would be fine.  If the final port is USA you are also ok. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

If this is a cruise line policy, then this all comes down to whether the cruise line will deny you boarding because of that one day.  Technically you do not need more than 3 months for Spain, Portugal, or the USA.

However, if one day did not matter, then nor would two days or three days.  A six month rule is a six month rule.  If they allow 1 day grace, then I should be allowed grace for 2 or 3 days.

just came from the passport office, all done and new one will arrive in time. the one day would depend on if they count that day as the first day after 6 months . The agent said it was fine on my date but I could get a over zealous customs official who would not accept that I am getting off a ship and onto a flight

• Like 1

I hate the fact that when you renew early you lose a LOT of remaining time.  We renew 6 months prior to expiry so that's six months wasted.  They should be like NEXUS and give you the full period.

1 hour ago, Senga said:

I hate the fact that when you renew early you lose a LOT of remaining time.  We renew 6 months prior to expiry so that's six months wasted.  They should be like NEXUS and give you the full period.

NEXUS isn't alone. In Ontario, and I imagine most provinces, you can renew your driver's license and your health card early and still retain your expiry date 5 years from your coming birthdate, not 5 years from your renewal date. Surely the GOC could do the same thing for passports.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Senga said:

I remember reading something. The UK used to do this (and maybe still do); they would add the extra time to the new passport. Then, post Brexit, Schengen was giving them issues about passports with greater than 10 year validity, and people were being denied entry.

3 hours ago, Senga said:

I was wondering and this should not be!

I just see this as a necessary "loss" if you want to always be up to date.  Because we travel so frequently and may need to with little notice to China, we cannot risk not having that 6 months on the passport, so we actually book travel around the need to renew the passport and generally start the process as soon after the one year mark as possible.  This is just part of travel, but we also only get 10 year passports, so we are not doing this every four years, but every nine years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I just see this as a necessary "loss" if you want to always be up to date.  Because we travel so frequently and may need to with little notice to China, we cannot risk not having that 6 months on the passport, so we actually book travel around the need to renew the passport and generally start the process as soon after the one year mark as possible.  This is just part of travel, but we also only get 10 year passports, so we are not doing this every four years, but every nine years.

We try to plan as well but this cruise was a last minute deal . We had already decided to stay home until spring. As they say " ship happens'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1