Considering alternatives to Oceania. Who should I be looking at?

Harters

I've been reading the current thread that O is scrapping Simply More. Not to repeat the discussion going on there but it now prompts me to consider alternatives to O which might be better value for money. Not necessarily cheaper (and even a bit more expensive) but a similar "inclusive" deal to Simply More and definitely with O's casual vibe (including dress code, etc). Viking and Regent immediately spring to mind but who else should I be looking at? 

TIA

• Like 2

We are currently looking at Windstar for 2026. Waiting for O 2026 itineraries to come out to compare. WS has "all inclusive" promotion for 2026 where all drinks, Wifi and gratuities are included, and prices start under $400 USD per night, with everything included.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

Seabourn for sure.

Agree - but can you find anything with prices anywhere close to O? We looked at 10-12 nights cruises to Europe, much more expensive than O.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Viking Ocean is comparable 

except for the food....Viking Ocean does not compare...but if food is not your thing, then maybe...

but also no incentives for activities...

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I've been reading the current thread that O is scrapping Simply More. Not to repeat the discussion going on there but it now prompts me to consider alternatives to O which might be better value for money. Not necessarily cheaper (and even a bit more expensive) but a similar "inclusive" deal to Simply More and definitely with O's casual vibe (including dress code, etc). Viking and Regent immediately spring to mind but who else should I be looking at? 

TIA

How about Azamara

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

except they have a kids program and welcome families....

so if kids on board is not your thing, you may want to stay away from SB...

Never seen any children on Seabourn. They may offer a kids program but I’ve never seen it advertised and actually I would say Oceania us far more children friendly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harters said:

TIA

You don’t drink alcohol so I’m not sure that Regent, Seabourn or Silversea would offer better value for money for you.

We’ve only sailed Silversea once last year to the Norwegian Fjords and it was wonderful but that may have been partly to do with the spectacular scenery. The butler service in every suite may not suit everyone. Coming back to the cabin to find spectacles polished and shoes shined was just one step too far for us!

We only sailed Regent once and that was enough …. give me Oceania anyday!

Seabourn, we loved. Excellent service without being obtrusive, no butlers in majority of suites but the food wasn’t as good as Oceania.

So to your original question …. ‘value for money’. Not sure you will find it on any of the lines I’ve mentioned. They are all pricing themselves out of the market for us at the moment. Oceania, at today’s prices, still offers us the best value.

Tomorrow is another day!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Harters said:

TIA

Azamara is one we have tried and liked (and have one booked for next year).  Food not quite as good, but the enrichment lecture series outshines O by a mile. We found the excursions to be generally excellent, but not included.  It's biggest draw for us was the excellent itineraries.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, goletans said:

Just last week we booked our first Windstar cruise based on itinerary, promotion, price and very good reviews for 2026. We think it will be wonderful.

I’m seriously considering Windstar also. Interested in their South Pacific itineraries. 

Grass is always greener.

What happens when your next line raises prices or makes a change?  Seeing as they ALL do it, you'll quickly run out of options. 

Book the line, ship, itinerary that fits your one particular trip.  Seems silly to only book one line.  It's ok if the line that's right for you changes for every vacation.   It's also OK to actually see what the prices and true changes are before declaring you're done with O.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

except they have a kids program and welcome families....

so if kids on board is not your thing, you may want to stay away from SB...

Have never seen a "kids program" on any of our Seabourn cruises. There were some children on our Seabourn Adriatic cruise this summer but nothing in comparison to the number aboard Riviera when we boarded her in Athens after disembarking Encore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I stand corrected. Yes there were reports of large amounts of kids aboard O cruises this summer. As everyone here knows, Lol, I dont want to be on a cruise ship with kids, except my own on royal carib or celeb. 

Viking is great for that, NO KIDS, but dont like anything else about it. 

So not sure if it is SB that has the kids program or SS....I get the two confused, in any case, from all reports food is not as good as on O and that is our NUMERO UNO.

6 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I stand corrected. Yes there were reports of large amounts of kids aboard O cruises this summer. As everyone here knows, Lol, I dont want to be on a cruise ship with kids, except my own on royal carib or celeb. 

Viking is great for that, NO KIDS, but dont like anything else about it. 

So not sure if it is SB that has the kids program or SS....I get the two confused, in any case, from all reports food is not as good as on O and that is our NUMERO UNO.

It is not Seabourn with a program for children,

Having just been on Seabourn for 14 days and then immediately followed by 10 on Oceania, I can assure you that, IMHO, the food on Seabourn was every bit as good, if not better than Oceania.

Edited by Queen of DaNile
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Harters said:

TIA

Friends of ours from NW England have just come back from an Iceland trip with Viking, they loved it. Great excursions, good food and a beautiful ship. 

5 hours ago, jonthomas said:

except for the food....Viking Ocean does not compare...but if food is not your thing, then maybe...

but also no incentives for activities...

And the older ships similar to Regatta. Nothing like Riviera and Vista.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

Friends of ours from NW England have just come back from an Iceland trip with Viking, they loved it. Great excursions, good food and a beautiful ship. 

have they been on O, Vista?

21 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

It is not Seabourn with a program for children,

Having just been on Seabourn for 14 days and then immediately followed by 10 on Oceania, I can assure you that, IMHO, the food on Seabourn was every bit as good, if not better than Oceania.

I have to go by what the majority say, the majority say the food is NOT better...read posts by AK...but of course very subjective...

Edited by jonthomas

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

have they been on O, Vista?

no, they're interested in our soon to be experience of O. but they've had a few Viking river cruises and now this most recent Viking ocean cruise. 

53 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Grass is always greener.

What happens when your next line raises prices or makes a change?  Seeing as they ALL do it, you'll quickly run out of options. 

Book the line, ship, itinerary that fits your one particular trip.  Seems silly to only book one line.  It's ok if the line that's right for you changes for every vacation.   It's also OK to actually see what the prices and true changes are before declaring you're done with O.

Every single post of yours is gold.

I could never understand why someone would sail exclusively on a single line. Perks come and go, some of the perks that you would get after 10 cruises will now be included from day 1 for new cruisers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1