Considering alternatives to Oceania. Who should I be looking at?

Harters

20 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I have to go by what the majority say, the majority say the food is NOT better...read posts by AK...but of course very subjective...

We are going on SB next week, so I cannot comment on the SB food yet. I can tell you that food on SS was not better than O, in fact overall we liked O food better, but SS was overall also very good. 

To me, food is very important, along with few other factors. THE most important is getting the best itinerary at reasonable price. So if for example I see SS or SB itinerary that is better than O, and the price is still not outrageous, I will book them even knowing that O food is slightly better. I won't book a line if I know that their food is much worse, even if the itinerary is better. It's always a balancing act - itinerary, price, food, service, ship experience, cabins etc. Cabins are the least important factors, but all other factors equal, I will book O class and not R class. Also, food has higher priority than cabins.

• Like 2

We cruised with Paul Gauguin in the South Pacific, and were thrilled with Les Gauguines and Les Gauguins. The food was very good, the speakers excellent. It's a bit pricey, but there are many inclusions. 

5 hours ago, jonthomas said:

have they been on O, Vista?

Have been on Vista last August and a number of O cruises on Marina pre Covid. Have cruised twice on Viking Norway/Iceland and Norway Northern Lights. For us, itinerary primary determinant though food, activities and ship also factor into our overall experience. Evaluations and comparisons as most on CC state are subjective. O food overall better but enjoyed fantastic meals on Viking. You learn where to go for what you like and never felt limited, hungry or that disappointed on any of our cruises. Prefer Viking ship to O because on O ships have to go outside on pool deck to transverse ship or if you want to go to Horizons from Baristas as well as pool and newer spa pool not useable if windy or cooler weather. Viking wonderful hydropool sauna steam rooms and covered pool area. Viking more areas for relaxed seating O areas feel more crowded. Love heated bathroom floor Viking, veranda cabins and beds both ships comfortable. Vista some cabins poor noise isolation. Viking included excursions- - need to read for cruise. Some excellent few fantastic others more bus tours. O excursions fair. Prefer to book private with Get Your Guide Tours by Locals etc. Activiities/Entertainment not that important for me BUT Viking has enrichment lecturers and if you don’t go to the talk, you can watch later in your cabin (Viking history legends art, Geography, Nature were much enjoyed) Found service great on both lines. 

• Like 3

I agree that it makes sense to cast a broader net when choosing cruises.  The various perks come with advantages and disadvantages, generally speaking.  In my case, itineraries are top priority; I'm picky about where I want to visit.

We've also sailed with Windstar and, more recently, Atlas.  If onboard entertainment is not important, I'd rank Atlas above the others.  That's partially because I like fewer passengers, and they cap off under 200.

8 hours ago, wcGma said:

Have been on Vista last August and a number of O cruises on Marina pre Covid. Have cruised twice on Viking Norway/Iceland and Norway Northern Lights. For us, itinerary primary determinant though food, activities and ship also factor into our overall experience. Evaluations and comparisons as most on CC state are subjective. O food overall better but enjoyed fantastic meals on Viking. You learn where to go for what you like and never felt limited, hungry or that disappointed on any of our cruises. Prefer Viking ship to O because on O ships have to go outside on pool deck to transverse ship or if you want to go to Horizons from Baristas as well as pool and newer spa pool not useable if windy or cooler weather. Viking wonderful hydropool sauna steam rooms and covered pool area. Viking more areas for relaxed seating O areas feel more crowded. Love heated bathroom floor Viking, veranda cabins and beds both ships comfortable. Vista some cabins poor noise isolation. Viking included excursions- - need to read for cruise. Some excellent few fantastic others more bus tours. O excursions fair. Prefer to book private with Get Your Guide Tours by Locals etc. Activiities/Entertainment not that important for me BUT Viking has enrichment lecturers and if you don’t go to the talk, you can watch later in your cabin (Viking history legends art, Geography, Nature were much enjoyed) Found service great on both lines. 

" o food overall better",

That's the most important issue for us. Have heard all the Viking history,  all about Bayeux tapestry. Can't hear it again. Pool area very hot and stuffy, as they refused to open roof, causes friction with wind, uses too much fuel.

Friends Sent food back several times, just gristle and fat.

I could go on, but there is no point. Our Viking cruise was March 2022, never again. We have our line of choice and like everything about it, no need for any experimentation.

Leaving a week from today taking a group of eight (8) to Tuscany for two weeks with a four day side trip to Bologna. There will be zero Mericanized food and a delightful absence of NoNo foods, along with world class wine at every stop. Those that claim to like food, this is the kind of trip they’d be on. The absolute “finest food “ without the at sea disclaimer.

More scheduled day trips to come. There will be zero concerns about missing ports or shorten port time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Those that claim to like food, this is the kind of trip they’d be on.

The benefit, for any food lover, with a land based trip is that you get to research and decide where to eat. We've got our annual three week trip to Tenerife in January. Yes, it's a generally touristy place - but we know the good restaurants and I've already got a "long list" of ten new places to consider. Few of them have websites with menus displayed so we'll have to go for a walk and see which appeal. One thing I know for certain is that we'll eat more interesting food than most other tourists. But, back to cruising, we had two night in Miami prior to our transatlantic earlier in the year, - enjoyed the research deciding where to have dinner and we made good choices. 

• Like 3

On 9/5/2024 at 11:23 AM, jonthomas said:

except for the food....Viking Ocean does not compare...but if food is not your thing, then maybe...

but also no incentives for activities...

I don't understand what you mean by "no incentives for activities"

4 hours ago, jonthomas said:

That's the most important issue for us. Have heard all the Viking history,  all about Bayeux tapestry. Can't hear it again. Pool area very hot and stuffy, as they refused to open roof, causes friction with wind, uses too much fuel.

I could go on, but there is no point. Our Viking cruise was March 2022, never again. We have our line of choice and like everything about it, no need for any experimentation.

We've done 10 Viking cruises - 5 river, 5 ocean.  Viking ticks all the boxes for us.  I found a very intriguing Oceania itinerary and I've heard good things about the line - thus my presence here.

The lectures on Viking are all different and on varied subjects.  I've yet to hear one on the Bayeux tapestry, nor Viking history unless you count the Hanseatic League - which I was very interested in. 🤷‍♀️

The newer Viking ships have windows that open along the pool area.  We've had the roof open and closed depending on weather.  It has not been hot in that area on our last 3 ocean cruises.  We like eating lunch there or on the Aquavit Terrace.

I've never had to send food back.  I enjoy good food, but don't call myself a foodie, because it always sounds pretentious and food tastes vary so.

We like the included tours - though sometimes we book the optionals or do independent.  We like the spa - love the spa, actually.  We love the casual "no jackets required" atmosphere and the no kids policy.

I'm hear to learn, but I'm happy to answer questions about my Viking experiences.

• Like 5

Sounds like you found your niche..

the no incentives comment...if you are not intrinsically motivated, like me, you would like how O motivates you to collect points for activities and then redeem them for good prizes, tshirts, caps etc....the crafts you can participate in are included, .V has a craft corner where you are invited to bring your own...lol...

lectures on O are fabulous....some of the best I have heard of all the lines we have been on. 

we dont go to the ports lectures...so I am not considering those..

as for food...the same gristle of meat that was returned by our friends, was being eaten by a couple next to us,,,,they didnt seem to notice they were eating fat and gristle...but then they had already finished a bottle of something and were on their second...so maybe if you drink you dont notice the quality of the food...I have made that comment before, some agreed and some took exception, as with all things...

21 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

Grass is always greener.

What happens when your next line raises prices or makes a change?  Seeing as they ALL do it, you'll quickly run out of options. 

Book the line, ship, itinerary that fits your one particular trip.  Seems silly to only book one line.  It's ok if the line that's right for you changes for every vacation.   It's also OK to actually see what the prices and true changes are before declaring you're done with O.

Wow - absolutely Yesimapirate - your sentiments match our views on how to choose a cruise.

IMHO there is absolutely no right answer to the OP's question. We are all different, with varying requirements.

The things that are imprtant to Mrs machotspur & I, in descending order, are :-

- Itinerary

- Condition of the ship, particularly the suites

- Food & Beverage quality & variety

- Service standards

- No signing bits of paper 

- Included gratuities

and of course price - it is quite complex to review the inclusions of each line, to ensure that one is not 'comparing apples with pears'.

Many others will have very different reasons for choosing a cruise line.

For our part we have sailed many days on :-

Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, Explora Journeys, and of course Oceania.

And which of these deliver all the things that are important to us ? NONE OF THEM ! (particularly with the current mood of a declining product at ever increasing prices.)

We currently have 6 cruises booked - 1x Silversea, 1x Seabourn, 1x Regent, 1x Crystal and 2x Oceania. All of these have been chosen on the itinerary. We recognise that we may be disappointed with some of the other aspects that are important to us. Fine - eyes wide open etc. 

Advice to the OP - decide what really matters to you and focus in on those that appear to deliver that best.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jonthomas said:

We are with you on the Viking evaluation with one more point.

Our Viking was a one and done for us for a few reasons.  We were lucky to have found two couples whose company we enjoyed very much which made the Viking cruise a good experience. But here is one thing that we have noticed regarding Viking vs Oceania not yet mentioned.  It is the people.  We like the Oceania people very much as a group and for the most part.  🙂

Yes, there is always the occasional exception to the rule though.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harters said:

The benefit, for any food lover, with a land based trip is that you get to research and decide where to eat. We've got our annual three week trip to Tenerife in January. Yes, it's a generally touristy place - but we know the good restaurants and I've already got a "long list" of ten new places to consider. Few of them have websites with menus displayed so we'll have to go for a walk and see which appeal. One thing I know for certain is that we'll eat more interesting food than most other tourists. But, back to cruising, we had two night in Miami prior to our transatlantic earlier in the year, - enjoyed the research deciding where to have dinner and we made good choices. 

Can you share suggestions of restaurants in Miami? We will be there for 2 nights pre-cruise.

3 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Can you share suggestions of restaurants in Miami? We will be there for 2 nights pre-cruise.

We stayed on 21st Street in South Beach and ate locally. Orange Blossom was excellent. Moreno's Cuba ticked the "must have Cuban food" box and was good (but not excellent). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Harters said:

We stayed on 21st Street in South Beach and ate locally. Orange Blossom was excellent. Moreno's Cuba ticked the "must have Cuban food" box and was good (but not excellent). 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, PSahoy said:

Seabourn/Silversea are in no way comparable to O but you pay for the differences.

Except for the fact that they are all inclusive and O is not, why they are not comparable?

On 9/5/2024 at 8:24 AM, jonthomas said:

except they have a kids program and welcome families....

so if kids on board is not your thing, you may want to stay away from SB...

I think you may be confused with another line. SB does not have kids programs anymore than O does. Viking does not allow under 18. 

6 minutes ago, PSahoy said:

Cabins smaller, venues nicer, newer ships

Was it intended for me? You should really quote the person you are answering to..

Cabins on the newer O ships are 240 sqft, more than enough for most people. SB newest non expedition ship is from 2018, O 2023 and 2025, and two more coming. Nicer venues is subjective. Service comparable. Food better on O compared to SS.

Nicer cabins is the only thing that is better on SS and SB.