Carry own suitcase onboard?

We will be boarding on our ship later than usual. By the time we board all rooms should be open.

I figure it easy just to carry my 26 inch suitcase on myself.

Can this be done? Will it fit through the port X-ray scanners when we go through the checkin?

Whether it will fit or not is something you will need to figure out.  The scanners are the same size as airport scanners.  If it fits, yes, you can bring it on board with you.

Edited by DorothyB
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 2:27 PM, trivia addict said:

We will be boarding on our ship later than usual. By the time we board all rooms should be open.

Can this be done? Will it fit through the port X-ray scanners when we go through the checkin?

Scanners are all different at all ports. At moats ports you should be fine. 

At ports like Miami Terminal B, they use the fancy bins where your bag needs to fit in the bin to be processed. 

On 9/5/2024 at 2:27 PM, trivia addict said:

A 26 inch suitcase is awfully big to fit through a traditional airport style scanner. Do what you want but it would be a real pain if you had to back track and take it out to the porters. BTW rooms usually ready around 2:30 to 3:00.  

• Like 1

trivia addict... while it may or may not be easier to carry on your 26" suitcase, even if you do, when you actually board the ship, there are so many others milling around, exploring, with  you dragging your suitcase, it may feel like an like a maze, fighting  your way through. 

isnt it easier, to just give it to a porter on the pier before you board, get on the ship, have a drink, get something to eat, or just chill by the pool? then go to your cabin and viola! your luggage is there safe and sound waiting for  you to be joyfully reunited LOL

it may be "easier" but IMO certainly not more convenient 

• Like 2

I thought that since I was getting on the boat late this time, I would just board, drag, my luggage to the room, unpack and be done with it. But after reading all of your comments, I will just hand it over to a porter after all.
We are in Honolulu, and since the ship does not leave until 6, we do not need to be on board until mid afternoon. Thought I’d give it a try, but you’ve convinced me otherwise ! 

Thanks everyone for your help, and Aloha!

excellent decision. smart move!  personally, i prefer to get  on the ship as early as humanly possible. if i'm not booked in a suite,I head for the buffet, or try to get a chair poolside and just grab a hamburger, a cold drink, (preferably a heineken) , chill out for a little while, then head for the cabin, and maybe crash for a few hrs before the sail away party.

just like chiefmate jrk, i want to get my vacation started ASAP!!!!!

luggage can wait, it'll get there sooner or later, and all are advised that if it's something of major importance, passport, boarding docs, medication or even a swimsuit and a change of clothes, put it in  a carry-on

regardless, have a great cruise and of course, Bon Voyage!

not all baggage gets to the ship leaving it with porters.  Have had several times getting fliers delivered to our room with a message "have you seen this baggage", only my opinion, but we prefer to carry on our bags, no problem, no worries about delivery   obviously with long cruises and bigger suitcase that will not go through cruise line scanner, not possible.  But we pack light and like to have our luggage with us, never a problem dropping  off in the room, after boarding,  to each their own  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

not all baggage gets to the ship leaving it with porters.  Have had several times getting fliers delivered to our room with a message "have you seen this baggage", only my opinion, but we prefer to carry on our bags, no problem, no worries about delivery   obviously with long cruises and bigger suitcase that will not go through cruise line scanner, not possible.  But we pack light and like to have our luggage with us, never a problem dropping  off in the room, after boarding,  to each their own  

NCL doesn’t allow dropping in rooms before the cabins are ready. In the past you could but no longer. They do offer a storage location on most ships. 

16 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

The ship requests (actually demands) that you don’t enter the cabin areas until they are ready at 2:30. They will sternly ask you to leave if you go there. 

Everyone else really don’t want you bumping around in crowded halls, elevators, and  restaurants. 

Just use the porters. 

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The ship requests (actually demands) that you don’t enter the cabin areas until they are ready at 2:30. They will sternly ask you to leave if you go there. 

Everyone else really don’t want you bumping around in crowded halls, elevators, and  restaurants. 

Just use the porters. 

I'm not sure you'd feel that way if you didn't receive your luggage...twice.

It is less hassle to tote your own luggage and be 100% sure of success than play porter/luggage steward roulette.

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Just use the porters. 

I'm booked on a B2B in the same cabin next week. During the transit day, can't you go or stay in your cabin before 2:30 ??? Are you pushed out of your room at 8:00 am until the afternoon call ?

had a b2b last year, also same cabin. 2 bedroom, my wife and i, and a close friend ( had the 2nd bedroom) 1st leg of cruise ended in copenhagen. my wife and friend got off the ship and went 

shopping. i stayed in my cabin with my kindle. the only thing i needed to so before 1130 was go down to guest services and have my card restarted.

i was on the living room couch and the steward just cleaned around me. no problem whatsoever

• Thanks 1