Day and Evening Entertainment

Carol28

We've never taken a Viking Cruise.  We did one Oceania and used to go on Holland America.  We don't choose these anymore because there is a lack of evening entertainment like production shows with singers and dancers, plus other nightly entertainments. Plus, there are almost no daytime activities, other than the pool.  We sail the larger vessels, usually Celebrity or Princess or RCCL.

What does Viking offer please?

We have only sailed with Viking, so my knowledge of the mainstream ships is by reputation only. I think Squawkman said it rather bluntly, but pretty accurately. Viking assumes that their passengers sail for the ports and are off the ship most days. I gather that select Viking itineraries like transatlantics and world cruises with many sea days have extra activities. Even so, I don't think small ship cruises will ever compete with what is on offer on the larger ships.

I am curious, what prompted your interest in Viking when it seems the lines you mentioned suit your needs very well?

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Carol28 said:

We've never taken a Viking Cruise.  We did one Oceania and used to go on Holland America.  We don't choose these anymore because there is a lack of evening entertainment like production shows with singers and dancers, plus other nightly entertainments. Plus, there are almost no daytime activities, other than the pool.  We sail the larger vessels, usually Celebrity or Princess or RCCL.

I think, quite honestly, that it would be a waste of your money to take Viking. If you want the entertainment you have mentioned, it’s NOT on Viking. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Carol28 said:

It doesn’t sound like Viking is what you are looking for.  There are not the big production shows on larger vessels.  Entertainment is a much lower key than it sounds like you are looking for.

• Like 4

Entertainment can vary depending upon what’s available from entertainment booking agents.  I have been on the same ship more than once. One time the entertainment is great. Next time it isn’t very good.  If you are looking for big production groups, Viking is not it. Stick to the bigger mass market ships.  The in-house entertainment is ok, but small. I was on Mars in August.  Some of nightly shows were ok. Best was the cruise director singing.  Some were bad.  On Viking, onboard entertainment is mainly lecturers, some old movies, and music.  Trivia happened daily at 12:30.  Never went. I was on shore or at lunch.  Evening lecturer was daily at 6:30 pm.  Never went. I was at dinner. You can watch them later on cabin tv.  Some were good. Some weren’t.  It’s a mixed bag. Port talks happened the day before the port usually at 5ish.  Best entertainment was the piano player and the duo that performed daily in the living room and at daily tea.  We were in a cold climate.  The pool was covered. However, the indoor temperatures were too cool to use the main pool.  I did use the indoor spa pool.  It’s very small. You tend not to stay there for a long time. It was best when ship was in port.  If what I described suits you, you might like Viking.  If you want excellent entertainment, go to New York City or London. Skip the cruise. 

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Trivia happened daily at 12:30.

Only on sea days, otherwise Trivia in the Explorers’ Lounge at 8 PM unless the assistant cruise director is doing their one person show, then there is none.

Port talks are at 4:30

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

30 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Only on sea days, otherwise Trivia in the Explorers’ Lounge at 8 PM unless the assistant cruise director is doing their one person show, then there is none.

Port talks are at 4:30

We have never had evening trivia on any of our previous Viking cruises. It was on sea days at 12pm in the theater or Explorers' Lounge.

We have had port talks at various times from as early as 4:30 to 6pm.

It seems to vary depending on the cruise director/ asst cruise director and excursion manager.

4 hours ago, Carol28 said:

We've only taken one Viking Cruise but have 2 booked.  Prior to Viking we cruised with NCL and Princess many times.  We loved the evening production shows in the theatres, but would say that was the only thing we missed with Viking.  Otherwise, for us there is so much more to love about Viking that far out weights the bog box ships that we are fine with giving up the shows. If you think you want to try Viking then certainly choose a shorter, port intense itinerary where daytime entertainment isn't as important as on sea days.    

6 minutes ago, AZ_Tim said:

We have never had evening trivia on any of our previous Viking cruises. It was on sea days at 12pm in the theater or Explorers' Lounge.

It seems to vary depending on the cruise director/ asst cruise director and excursion manager.

We’ve had trivia at 8 (non sea days) on every Viking non-river cruise we’ve been on including an Expedition cruise. This is the standard.

Early in 2023 we were told that corporate installed a new standard schedule on non sea days to try to alleviate crowding at dinner and afternoon tea. On non sea days port talks are at 4:30 and enrichment lectures are at 6:15. On our 4 sailings since then, this has always been the schedule.

• Like 1

How are the in cabin TV movie selections?  Old / new / very new?  Just a few new releases or a lot?

As a side note we just got off a Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise with siblings.

The entertainment was pretty great.  They had a harp that extended from the stage to the balcony amongst other cool things.

That being said the:

• Food was insipid
  • First night the buffet had scooped ice cream and then never saw it again.  Bacon was almost always gone.
  • Shower amenities were a single combo soap/shampoo/conditioner product
  • Constant upsells - like main dining maitre'd coming by to push specialties
  • Room steward constantly putting out additional tip envelopes
  • Lack of outlets in cabin
  • Spacious ocean view balcony was a misnomer as the front of the ship window sloped into the room so you could not use the extra square footage

Bottom line we are looking forward to Viking next year.

Edited by zalusky
  • Like 1

The only shows on the big ships that I like and go to are on Virgin.  I refuse to set foot on a Monstrosity of the Seas ship, which is where the big box lines are putting all their effort into shows.  Not only are the productions on their smaller ships insipid but the crowded theater is a great place to pick up COVID.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

…  Not only are the productions on their smaller ships insipid but the crowded theater is a great place to pick up COVID.

Which my sister and I did pick up.  Enjoying Paxlovid as I type.

18 hours ago, AZ_Tim said:

Triva every evening at 8 pm in the Explorers Lounge on port days on our VO cruises this year.  On the one sea day it was around 12 noon in the theatre.