Being a teetotaler on Cunard

JT1101

I've done the QM2 Transatlantic 4 times and in December will be back again for time number 5. Seeing the threads on here about drink packages, Pol Acker and such made me think about what it is like being a teetotaler on Cunard. Is it good? Bad? 

Well to me it is pretty cool!

Coffees are ALL good. Of course the custom blends and specialty coffees are top grade but even the regular coffee on tap in Kings Court and in Britannia is good. 

Likewise all the teas are tasty. Even the regular tea is a good one (IIRC it is a Twinnings custom blend for Cunard) and the infusions likewise are excellent.

Hot Chocolates (aka Cocoa) are also really good. They taste like a good hot cocoa should, as in made with milk not instant mix in water. 

Then we come to the mocktails and non-alcoholic options. The Sommelier at dinner can get these for you and to me they are great. 

Any others here who either are teetotalers or just like some times not to have alcohol? 

• Like 3

Honestly, we do not believe in these packages and never bought any since they were introduced.

We know a friend - couple that sailed for the first time on Cunard and bought it and really didn't get any benefit related to their choices.

They never bought them on another line they favor either

If the package plan is a related to your needs and it works for you, great. But not for everyones.

5 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Packages? I only mentioned packages as an example. I was talking about non-alcoholic options. 

I must admit that the Hot Chocolate is good but the special one in the Golden Lion is super.

Never tried the Mock's since I enjoy a regular Cocktail.

Not a Coffee drinker, I do enjoy the teas especially my favorite Darjeeling or English Breakfast & Earl Grey. The Darjeeling served at the Champagne Afternoon Tea was superb. Personally steeped for you.

Someday we have to try Sir Samuels. Satisfied with the drinks and services around the ship.   

• Like 1

we no longer drink alcohol and were on QA in June. We took the Premium soft drinks package and found it good value. Like you, I loved the hot chocolate. We had lots of alcohol free cocktails, smoothies, beers, cider and even sparkling wine. I also took a couple of bottles of alcohol free wine and asked them to change the usual Pol Acker for a non-alcoholic wine, which they did. I was very impressed with the AF selction - I love an Elderflower tonic as an aperitif.

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 2

I'm a lifelong teetotaller, one of the last throws of the dice from the Temperance Movement, which was once so prominent in the North of England, and indeed parts of the USA. 

The Pol Acker is just about the only annoying things about this. Sometimes the steward will take it away, often they will say "just leave it in the fridge" or some such, taking up space. On one occasion the steward produced a second bottle, after some very minor mishap during cleaning. It would be nice if there was a formal ability to swap it for something else in advance, though as noted, some Stewards will do so on request.

Otherwise the range of soft drinks is reasonably good, and in the case of Queen Anne there are plenty of filtered water dispensers too. I don't take up any of the packages, from experience I know they aren't good value in my case - I'm not a big fan of mocktails.  I doubt the sommeliers enjoy having many teetotal guests around but I've learned how to get 500ml glasses of drinks at meals to avoid asking for a second round later on.

The Twining teas are all mainstream ones here in the UK and readily available in shops, the days of a Cunard blend are long gone. Union Coffee probably would do a Cunard blend if asked, they do one for British Airways. That said I do take my own supplies of coffee and Thompson's Tea (which is associated with the shipbuilders of Belfast) on board, for the kettle in the staterooms. 

• Like 1

I am not a teetotaller and often like a glass of wine with dinner and / or more or less only on Cunard a pre dinner drink.  I am just not over fussed about alcohol.  It is a drink, there are others I might prefer.  Call me old fashioned but tea or elderflower are often the go to choices anywhere.  

There is an emphasis on alcoholic drinks on all ships.  I once got to know a Cunard barman well, not because we were good customers - we werent - but because being far from home he seemed to want someone to chat to and we always did so every time we met.  He worked round the clock and when I asked him if he got fed up serving all these drinks even early in the day he said that in the end it just passed them by, the emphasis was in his words for them to sell, sell, sell.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Planning to cruise said:

...the emphasis was in his words for them to sell, sell, sell.  

I have to say that they do a very good job of masking it, as I've never once got the impression of this on Cunard, either in my interactions with staff or while watching them work (which as someone from a hospitality background, both academically and experientially, I probably do way more than most as I find it endlessly fascinating). I've seen some hugely efficient staff, so additional sales and tips are naturally the by-product, but I can't recall seeing someone who looked to be chasing the sales and the tips, or seeming to try and lead people out of their (financial) comfort zone.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, King Amo said:

I have to say that they do a very good job of masking it, as I've never once got the impression of this on Cunard, either in my interactions with staff or while watching them work (which as someone from a hospitality background, both academically and experientially, I probably do way more than most as I find it endlessly fascinating). I've seen some hugely efficient staff, so additional sales and tips are naturally the by-product, but I can't recall seeing someone who looked to be chasing the sales and the tips, or seeming to try and lead people out of their (financial) comfort zone.

No, as far as it goes, that is my experience too.

• Like 1

Im not sure it is a case of chasing or upselling sales (although I can recall one sommelier who was very good at trying that) but needing to produce results.  No doubt the fact that bar staff work hard rather than hang around can be noticed.  Efficiency and sales volumes are the key to promotion.  Not sure if there is an opposite result of not making the grade.   

The young man I refer to was pleased to be upgraded from wait staff to bar server (all some years ago) and the next step he hoped for would be effectively bar manager on a shift.   

Of course drinks staff are there to serve non alcohol as well as the more expensive alcohol.  

I typically have one alcoholic drink per voyage (either a glass of wine with a special dinner, or a cocktail), and otherwise go for the soft drinks package, because I like my diet pepsi (prefer coke, but you drink what they've got) and soda water after noon. 

I've never felt uncomfortable ordering only non-alcoholic beverages in any of the bars or lounges, and never felt any pressure from the staff. 

• Like 1

I don't drink a lot these days so I'm happy that there are more options than there used to be. The non-alcoholic cocktails with pretend spirits are a lot better than mocktails which are really just fruit juice mixes. However, have increased in price dramatically since last year which is a bit disappointing.

I did get a comment from one of the bar waiters when I sailed while expecting. He'd remembered me from two previous trips where I did drink a fair bit (and spent a lot of time propping up the Midships Bar!) and after a few days of serving me non-alcoholic cocktails asked why I wasn't drinking alcohol. I didn't really mind since I had a happy reason for not drinking but I suppose it might have caused embarrassment to some guests.

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I only have one G&T a day and at other times have enjoyed the Thatcher’s Zero and Harrowgate sparkling water here aboard QV.

Wife no longer drinks alcohol so these options work for her as well.

One G&T

Lemonade or Ice Tea

Arnold Palmer

Rare Basic Cocktail- Manhattan 

Enjoy Glass wine Mostly

Maybe After Dinner Cordial 

All spread out over a 14 days sailing..

3 hours ago, Toffeegirl68 said:

The signature hot chocolate served in bars (at additional cost or part of the hot drinks / premium drinks packages) - is an activity centre in itself... with the chocolate shavings, cream and marshmallows 🥰

Had one during Bingo in Golden Lion - WOW great!

But only once on the sailing if desired