Are some people offered earlier check-in times than others (checked in as soon as they opened)

My Symphony cruise just opened for check-in this morning, and I was in the app and able to check in when it was enabled around 12:05. I got an 11am time slot, which was the earliest offered to me. Others in the sailing's social media group reported getting 10:30 slots. We're Diamond Plus (not bragging) so I would have expected to be offered the earliest time. It was not clear that the people getting the earlier time were in suites or had booked The Key (they did not mention it). What would cause the app to not offer me the earlier time? There's no way that it filled up in the few minutes it took me to enter my passport info, plus people have been reported getting it doing the check-in in the last few hours (although I suppose they also did it right after midnight).

I assume they'll take me earlier anyway since I am D+, and 11am isn't a bad time (we're driving to the port), but I'm just wondering why it did not offer me the earlier time. Is it cabin location? I'm in a boardwalk balcony.

Edited by MisterBill99

I was offered 10am (but took 11am) when check in opened on my Sept 1 Symphony cruise.  Also D+ and was in a CP balcony.

Tier status only matters at check in for Pinnacle.  Cabin only matters if you're in a suite.  And I don't think either of those prioritizes your time choices in the app.

FYI - You do not need to fill in "Travel Info" in order to select Check In time on the app.  You can go directly to the Check In section and fill in the Travel Info another time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I assume they'll take me earlier anyway since I am D+

Being allowed in earlier has nothing to do with being D+.  Someone who has never sailed and has a 3pm check in time in all likelihood walk on at 10:30 am with all those that stayed up late sweating over a check in time that in all likelihood means nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

I was offered 10am (but took 11am) when check in opened on my Sept 1 Symphony cruise.  Also D+ and was in a CP balcony.

Tier status only matters at check in for Pinnacle.  Cabin only matters if you're in a suite.  And I don't think either of those prioritizes your time choices in the app.

FYI - You do not need to fill in "Travel Info" in order to select Check In time on the app.  You can go directly to the Check In section and fill in the Travel Info another time.

Thanks  I realized I could have picked the time right away after the fact. Still seems strange that the earliest time would go so quickly. 11am is fine, we should still be on the ship in time for lunch

You go in the app when check -in opens and select your  check-in time.   Tier level has nothing to do with check-in time.  The time you select is for check -in, not necessarily when you will board.  

Early check-in times wait for boarding to open and then boarding order is something like  Suites/Key/Pinnacle first.  

M

Just now, Denversail said:

In my experience they only check in the very beginning 1 or 2 groups and then they stop asking.

I cruise 2-3 times a month and it has been at least 18 months if not longer since I saw port workers verify check-in times. I have only cruised out of Florida ports and Vancouver, so it might be different at other ports. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Thanks  I realized I could have picked the time right away after the fact. Still seems strange that the earliest time would go so quickly. 11am is fine, we should still be on the ship in time for lunch

Just go when you want.  Check in times haven't been enforced at Cape Liberty since right after sailing resumed.  People get to that port earlier and boarding typically starts early.  We always get to that port by around 10am and are usually onboard before 11am.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

My Symphony cruise just opened for check-in this morning, and I was in the app and able to check in when it was enabled around 12:05. I got an 11am time slot, which was the earliest offered to me. Others in the sailing's social media group reported getting 10:30 slots. We're Diamond Plus (not bragging) so I would have expected to be offered the earliest time. It was not clear that the people getting the earlier time were in suites or had booked The Key (they did not mention it). What would cause the app to not offer me the earlier time? There's no way that it filled up in the few minutes it took me to enter my passport info, plus people have been reported getting it doing the check-in in the last few hours (although I suppose they also did it right after midnight).

I assume they'll take me earlier anyway since I am D+, and 11am isn't a bad time (we're driving to the port), but I'm just wondering why it did not offer me the earlier time. Is it cabin location? I'm in a boardwalk balcony.

We must be on the same sailing.  

To compare notes:

I'm D and sailing in a guarantee neighborhood balcony.  My listed check in time is 11:30 but probably won't be there until 12:30.

It's probably like Southwest Airlines, you can set an alarm and click "check in" as soon as the alarm goes off, but still get put in group B. 

Some people are probably picking their time before they input any info. They may be limiting the number of 10:30 slots to account for the number of "The Key" they've sold, or the number of suites or pinnacles boarding etc. Who knows. But like everyone said, show up when you want, they'll let you on.