What is the Medallion Club - how does it work?

dizzy1948

On our booking it says "as a medallion club member.... blah blah blah" I have tried to work it out on the Princess web site!!!! not getting anywhere. I have tried to find a thread on Cruise critic, can't fine one - so can someone help us please.

We don't use onboard internet - and seeing as all the ports are Australian - we will pick up internet in ports or on shore. Do we have to have "Medallion Club" internet? Are there levels as in Platinum, Ruby etc? I'm a bit confused (doesn't take much to confuse me) What does being a medallion club member mean?

Hi Dizzy. This link might help. It's targeted for Americans but I think it is the same for all Princess ships, with the exception that the medallions are not shipped to your address prior to sailing.

https://sometimessailing.com/understanding-princess-medallion-and-medallionclass-app/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dizzy1948 said:

What does being a medallion club member mean?

It means you are a passenger onboard a Princess cruise ship, so you get a medallion.☺️

It's just Princess being chummy in a marketing department kind of way.

The medallion uses the ships internal wifi network to communicate locally so that you can use the app to make various bookings and see what's going on.

If you want to connect to the internet it's done through this internal network then out though the ship's satellite connection. The satellite internet portion of this setup is confusingly called MedallionNet.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Hi Dizzy. This link might help. It's targeted for Americans but I think it is the same for all Princess ships, with the exception that the medallions are not shipped to your address prior to sailing.

https://sometimessailing.com/understanding-princess-medallion-and-medallionclass-app/

Oh wow - this is so informative - answering my questions already. Haven't read it all yet - but I have saved it and will carry on reading later. Thank you so much 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It means you are a passenger onboard a Princess cruise ship, so you get a medallion.☺️

It's just Princess being chummy in a marketing department kind of way.

The medallion uses the ships internal wifi network to communicate locally so that you can use the app to make various bookings and see what's going on.

If you want to connect to the internet it's done through this internal network then out though the ship's satellite connection. The satellite internet portion of this setup is confusingly called MedallionNet.

Ha Ha - love the Princess being chummy 🤣If it's as good as the P & O app - it will go in the bin. Turned up to board - the app wouldn't work - had to dig out the paper boarding passes. 

We test drove the app before we went to the port - worked well - then kapput. 

2 hours ago, dizzy1948 said:

Ha Ha - love the Princess being chummy 🤣If it's as good as the P & O app - it will go in the bin. Turned up to board - the app wouldn't work - had to dig out the paper boarding passes. 

The medallion app works fine once you're onboard although the app version of the daily Patter and menus aren't always accurate. However it's great for ordering food or beverages and you can use it keep track of members of your party if you choose.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The medallion app works fine once you're onboard although the app version of the daily Patter and menus aren't always accurate. However it's great for ordering food or beverages and you can use it keep track of members of your party if you choose.

As long as we can get in our cabin - order stuff and check spends' periodically, we will be a happy cruisers'🛳️

Edited by dizzy1948
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Who needs cruise critic? All that info is on the forum here, and more.

A couple of corrections:

The app is no longer called a medallion app, but is simply called the Princess app, available for your phone on Apple & Play stores.

The option of having the medallion mailed to your address is supposed to be available to Australians in the next month or so.

• Like 1

Just now, dizzy1948 said:

As long as we can get in our cabin - order stuff and check spends' periodically, I will be a happy 

cruiser 🛳️

You can certainly do all of that. On longer cruises you might have to get a new medallion every few weeks as the batteries don't last long but it only takes a couple of minutes at Guest Services to get the replacement. If you have any other issues with the door not opening get them to check the receiver unit - it may need to be replaced.

On one occasion my medallion fell off the clip I had it on. Guest Services tracked it to the MDR we'd had lunch in so I was able to retrieve it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dizzy1948 said:

The same will happen with the Princess app. It works differently pre-cruise to how it works for boarding and when aboard. Just before your cruise, the app will show a boarding pass, so that part is simpler than P&O's app. Once aboard - log out of your app, then log in again with just your booking info instead of your account login. If you need any help to get it working, there is an Ocean now booth with staff who are assigned with sorting out any issues. 

Have you booked a plus/premier package, or are just on a standard fare? If on a standard fare, be aware that to use your app for ordering food and drinks, you will incur a one-off $23 activation fee. If you have booked with either of those packages, that fee is waived.

Just now, arxcards said:

The same will happen with the Princess app. It works differently pre-cruise to how it works for boarding and when aboard. Just before your cruise, the app will show a boarding pass, so that part is simpler than P&O's app. Once aboard - log out of your app, then log in again with just your booking info instead of your account login. If you need any help to get it working, there is an Ocean now booth with staff who are assigned with sorting out any issues. 

Have you booked a plus/premier package, or are just on a standard fare? If on a standard fare, be aware that to use your app for ordering food and drinks, you will incur a one-off $23 activation fee. If you have booked with either of those packages, that fee is waived.

We are standard - but thanks for the additional info re activation fee. 

57 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

and if they also choose.

It is just husband and I. If he chooses to ignore me, and I choose to ignore him mmmmmm - could mean we have one or two deaf and dumb dinners. 🤣😂

Come a long way from sticky notes on mirrors if you cabin shared (we had grandchildren with us back in the day) Sticky notes on friend's cabin doors. Never travel without sticky notes, cellotape and pen. Those were the days

Edited by dizzy1948
  • Haha 2

I travelled with a big family group last year. As I knew everyone's names, dates of birth and cruise booking numbers, I went into my app and added them all as companions, and then logged into everyone else's app and did the same for them, so we could all stalk each other. As long as you know your hubby's booking reference number, you can stalk him on board 🤗

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dizzy1948 said:

We had the same problem. Had to do everything the old fashioned way when on board - in person. Pain in the whatnot. Fortunately, we had all our documents the old fashioned way (on paper) as well as I really don't trust apps to work and this was borne out on P&O.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dizzy1948 said:

It is just husband and I. If he chooses to ignore me, and I choose to ignore him mmmmmm - could mean we have one or two deaf and dumb dinners. 🤣😂

Come a long way from sticky notes on mirrors if you cabin shared (we had grandchildren with us back in the day) Sticky notes on friend's cabin doors. Never travel without sticky notes, cellotape and pen. Those were the days

I don't need sticky notes or apps. If I want to find Darren, I just look in the nearest bar!🤣

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

We are expecting that by our February 2025 Diamond Princess cruise, the medallions will be shipped to Aussie addresses. Can't recall where I saw this, but they were going to start sending them to people on the plus packages in order to speed up boarding.

39 minutes ago, colourbird said:

We are expecting that by our February 2025 Diamond Princess cruise, the medallions will be shipped to Aussie addresses. Can't recall where I saw this, but they were going to start sending them to people on the plus packages in order to speed up boarding.

It was in the "Circle" magazine from Princess a couple of editions back. No specific date apart from late in 2024. They will be sending them to any passenger that requests them to be mailed, but those on standard fares will have to pay a fee for postage.

• Like 2