Volendam 8 million dollar docking period October 2024

Alphen

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

For whatever reason the lowest catagory of veranda (balcony) cabin is deemed a "suite" on Zaandam and Volendam, I have no idea why but that's how it is. There is one plus to the "suite" designation you do get double Mariner points for a "suite".

It ruled us out for the 2026 world cruise. I was really hoping they stuck with Zuiderdam.  Big price difference for a balcony in 2025 vs 2026.  

F5A4C631-2385-44C0-B2B2-C98D765FDC1B.jpeg

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

It ruled us out for the 2026 world cruise. I was really hoping they stuck with Zuiderdam.  Big price difference for a balcony in 2025 vs 2026.  

F5A4C631-2385-44C0-B2B2-C98D765FDC1B.jpeg

Keep in mind the Zuiderdam has capacity for 500+ more passengers, as well as regular verandas and several different categories of suites. It really is apples and oranges. I'm not dismissing your disappointment, just pointing out the differences.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Keep in mind the Zuiderdam has capacity for 500+ more passengers, as well as regular verandas and several different categories of suites. It really is apples and oranges. I'm not dismissing your disappointment, just pointing out the differences.

100% get it. But from what I understand the vista suites are nothing to write home about on Volendam so they may appear apples vs oranges but for someone in the market for a world cruise, it’s balcony vs balcony. Frankly I’d pay more for the amenities of a bigger ship.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

100% get it. But from what I understand the vista suites are nothing to write home about on Volendam so they may appear apples vs oranges but for someone in the market for a world cruise, it’s balcony vs balcony. Frankly I’d pay more for the amenities of a bigger ship.  

I agree fully. Like I said I have no idea why the verandas on Zaandam and Volendam are "suites". You are correct they really are just veranda cabins, it was comfortable for our 11 day voyage last year, I'm not sure about a 132 day "Grand World Voyage"; and like I said it counts double mariner points. I think they perhaps went to the smaller ship to enable more ports without tendering. Best of luck finding a good price on a great itinerary.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2024 at 4:01 AM, TRLD said:

They are not going to "modernize" the ship. Any work they do will keep the same look and feel. They may change venues. 

This is just not true. CCL has completed MAJOR big buck dry docks pre covid. 200 Million dollar dry docks were completed to bring older carnival ships up to date and modernized. That’s 200 million pre-covid which would be significantly more in today’s dollars. 

11 hours ago, TRLD said:

….if Carnival, HAL, Princess or Cunard ever did a full model on any existing ship in their fleets ….

Here you go…my first google search came up with a several full remodels from carnival…

Carnival Victory’s refurb will take place from March 18th to April 26th 2020 and will result in several stateroom enhancements, new speciality dining venues, and a ropes course and waterpark.

Carnival Cruises has just revealed that Carnival Victory will undergo an almost $200 million makeover, emerging under the name Carnival Radiance.

Carnival Destiny’s $155 million overhaul assigned it the new name of Carnival Sunshine in 2013 and Carnival Triumph will be transformed into Carnival Sunrise in March 2019.

https://www.cruise.co.uk/bulletin/carnival-ship-undergo-refurb-brand-new-name/

I disagree that CCL doesn’t invest in its older ships when they have the means to do so. As I mentioned, this lower budget dry dock on the V (when compared to both CCL history and current competition) may very well be financially responsible, but you can’t claim that CCL doesn’t modernize. They do. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

22 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is just not true. CCL has completed MAJOR big buck dry docks pre covid. 200 Million dollar dry docks were completed to bring older carnival ships up to date and modernized. That’s 200 million pre-covid which would be significantly more in today’s dollars. 

Here you go…my first google search came up with a several full remodels from carnival…

Carnival Victory’s refurb will take place from March 18th to April 26th 2020 and will result in several stateroom enhancements, new speciality dining venues, and a ropes course and waterpark.

Carnival Cruises has just revealed that Carnival Victory will undergo an almost $200 million makeover, emerging under the name Carnival Radiance.

Carnival Destiny’s $155 million overhaul assigned it the new name of Carnival Sunshine in 2013 and Carnival Triumph will be transformed into Carnival Sunrise in March 2019.

https://www.cruise.co.uk/bulletin/carnival-ship-undergo-refurb-brand-new-name/

I disagree that CCL doesn’t invest in its older ships when they have the means to do so. As I mentioned, this lower budget dry dock on the V (when compared to both CCL history and current competition) may very well be financially responsible, but you can’t claim that CCL doesn’t modernize. They do. 

How many did you find for princess, and hal

Surely if it was that easy to find for Carnival you can list similar examples for the 2 adult focused lines if they exist?

Edited by TRLD
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TRLD said:

How many did you find for princess, and hal

Surely if it was that easy to find for Carnival you can list similar examples for the 2 adult focused lines if they exist?

I made my point. CCL does modernize its ships. They must to stay competitive. 

Let us just  agree to disagree again 🙂 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I made my point. CCL does modernize its ships. They must to stay competitive. 

Let us just  agree to disagree again 🙂 

The Carnival ones were complete renames of the ships including the Triumph after a couple of problems, such as the ship adrift for several days.

You have proved nothing about HAL and Princess.vIf you xould find Carnival then surely you could find theirs if any exist.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

It doesn’t help that they sell them as suites and price accordingly. 

It doesn’t matter what they call them it is supply and demand.  I wouldn’t call them “suites” either but many are willing to pay the price.  The bigger ships can’t make port where the small ships can.  Though I am most definitely not a fan of the Volendam I was able to travel far up the Amazon and visit very small towns in Iceland and Greenland that the large ships cannot go

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

It doesn’t matter what they call them it is supply and demand.  I wouldn’t call them “suites” either but many are willing to pay the price.  The bigger ships can’t make port where the small ships can.  Though I am most definitely not a fan of the Volendam I was able to travel far up the Amazon and visit very small towns in Iceland and Greenland that the large ships cannot go

Well there is definitely a supply issue as there are no regular balconies you go from lanai (which are still available on the 71 latter segment) to a Vista Suite, but I would question demand as many levels of Vista Suite are still available for the full WC.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Well there is definitely a supply issue as there are no regular balconies you go from lanai (which are still available on the 71 latter segment) to a Vista Suite, but I would question demand as many levels of Vista Suite are still available for the full WC.  

Historically the WC sells out.  I don’t want to get into business practices and pricing but only to say businesses that are too quick to lower prices are devaluing their own brand. 

• Like 2

Think you'll find that probably half of the passengers on the Grand cruises are repeat customers and I would guess that the majority of them are quite happy with an Ocean view cabin. There is plenty of storage for those who don't bring ridiculous amounts of luggage and plenty of opportunities to enjoy outside decks without paying a premium for a "suite" or a lanai which is simply a smaller Ocean View.

On 9/28/2024 at 8:43 AM, durangoscots said:

I did the 93 day GANZ ending in April of this year on the Volendam. Did not find her in rough shape and for those worried about the shower curtains... i had a nice walk-in shower with glass door. Would sail on her again with no qualms.

Susan

Susan, may I ask what room you were in with the walk-in shower with glass door?  I’ll be on Volendam in July for the 25 day Greenland/Iceland cruise in a VA cabin (deck6) and am hoping we have the shower w/ glass door instead of the tub or curtain. Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

For whatever reason the lowest catagory of veranda (balcony) cabin is deemed a "suite" on Zaandam and Volendam, I have no idea why but that's how it is. There is one plus to the "suite" designation you do get double Mariner points for a "suite".

I believe the suite designation for the vista balcony is a holdover from when the ship first entered service. At the time any room with a balcony was considered a suite as balconies were limited on most ships.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Homala said:

Susan, may I ask what room you were in with the walk-in shower with glass door?  I’ll be on Volendam in July for the 25 day Greenland/Iceland cruise in a VA cabin (deck6) and am hoping we have the shower w/ glass door instead of the tub or curtain. Thanks in advance!

I am on the Volendam right out of dry dock Nov.9 in a verandah AA.  The "special feature" of the verandah suite is the whirlpool tub.  There is no way to offer the whirlpool tub and a glass shower in that bathroom.  I understand the lower decks have glass showers now, which I would prefer.

I am on your July Greenland/Iceland but on the lower promenade for that cruise. See you there!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Homala said:

I was on deck 3 where I believe all have the shower only. I know people on 6 had tubs, it was one reason I did not do the upsell offered.

Susan

39 minutes ago, Loreto said:

I am on the Volendam right out of dry dock Nov.9 in a verandah AA.  The "special feature" of the verandah suite is the whirlpool tub.  There is no way to offer the whirlpool tub and a glass shower in that bathroom.  I understand the lower decks have glass showers now, which I would prefer.

I am on your July Greenland/Iceland but on the lower promenade for that cruise. See you there!

It’s a great itinerary!  Are you on the roll call?

I could without a tub. I’m hoping that if the cabins don’t have glass shower doors now, that it might be part of the dry dock work but it doesn’t sound like it. I just hate the curtains, although stepping into a tub shower is even worse. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I was on deck 3 where I believe all have the shower only. I know people on 6 had tubs, it was one reason I did not do the upsell offered.

Susan

Interesting that they would have a better shower than in the “verandah suite.”  Oh well, we’ll manage. It’s such a great itinerary that a tub/shower curtain certainly isn’t a dealbreaker. Thanks for responding.

54 minutes ago, Homala said:

It’s a great itinerary!  Are you on the roll call?

I could without a tub. I’m hoping that if the cabins don’t have glass shower doors now, that it might be part of the dry dock work but it doesn’t sound like it. I just hate the curtains, although stepping into a tub shower is even worse. 

I am on the Roll Call: Loreto. crystal spin hasn't updated the roll call in awhile.  I know what you mean about stepping out of the tub, but it will be that way for the 42 day cruise I am on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fred321 said:

Think you'll find that probably half of the passengers on the Grand cruises are repeat customers and I would guess that the majority of them are quite happy with an Ocean view cabin. There is plenty of storage for those who don't bring ridiculous amounts of luggage and plenty of opportunities to enjoy outside decks without paying a premium for a "suite" or a lanai which is simply a smaller Ocean View.

Yes, no doubt there are many loyal passengers that don’t look at the competition. That being said as someone that is researching, Oceania Vista is cheaper than Volendam if you wanted a true balcony and I know which one I’d chose. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Yes, no doubt there are many loyal passengers that don’t look at the competition. That being said as someone that is researching, Oceania Vista is cheaper than Volendam if you wanted a true balcony and I know which one I’d chose. 

Excellent  point. 

10 hours ago, Homala said:

We were in 1919 on the Volendam doing this cruise in July/Aug 2024 and our bathroom was the walk-in shower with the glass door.

• Like 1