Any history of Celebrity disembarkation delays in Ft. Lauderdale coming off of TA?

edgee

I am a veteran Celebrity cruiser planning an 11:15 flight home from FLL after disembarking Apex from a Transatlantic cruise in November. Normally such a flight is easily makeable. However, I have heard that when a ship enters the U.S. after a season of European cruising it undergoes extra clearances from U.S. Government officials which can sometimes delay disembarkation. Therefore I am a little concerned about booking a flight before noon. Does anyone have any experience with extra delays disembarking a Transatlantic cruise? Would appreciate any advice.

Edited by edgee

The only similar experience we had was was with boarding, not disembarking, with a transpacific cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver, where Hawaii was the first US port of call with the ship's full repositioning from Australia to the US. 

We were boarding the final leg in Hawaii and our boarding was not delayed or affected, however the ship's departure was delayed due to the USCG inspection required for the entrance to the US taking more time than planned. 

I am not aware of, or believe there were any delays, with passengers disembarking in Hawaii either as the inspection was with regards to the ship and certain operations, not the passengers.  Our boarding process was normal and with the typical timing that would follow disembarking passengers.  This was only our experience, however.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

All the crew must go though immigration. There can be major delays caused by surprise inspections. I have been a part of some delays, some were very long. Usually there are no delays, but expect them in your planning.

Edited by Orator

I have never been delayed with a TA, but last year for a Caribbean cruise, things were messed up and communication was unclear, but not a real issue getting to the airport for my 10:00 flight!

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I am a veteran Celebrity cruiser planning an 11:15 flight home from FLL after disembarking Apex from a Transatlantic cruise in November. Normally such a flight is easily makeable. However, I have heard that when a ship enters the U.S. after a season of European cruising it undergoes extra clearances from U.S. Government officials which can sometimes delay disembarkation. Therefore I am a little concerned about booking a flight before noon. Does anyone have any experience with extra delays disembarking a Transatlantic cruise? Would appreciate any advice.

When I did my TA on Edge last year, from disembarking in FLL to the airport was a total of 45 minutes.  I did carry off luggage, was one of the first off and taxi's were abundant right outside.

• Thanks 1

Several years ago we experienced a long delay boarding Reflection after she arrived from Europe and was preparing to commence her summer season in the Caribbean.  As Orator states entire crew had to clear customs.  Not sure whether disembarking passengers were delayed.  Had the impression enhanced CBP scrutiny was a one time thing for ships relocating to a US homeport and did not apply to ships merely passing through.

21 hours ago, edgee said:

every disembarkation is unique - it's impossible to say if you will or won't be delayed.

How early you book depends on the stress level you are prepared to accept.

As we can't "self disembark" we prefer to book a later flight and accept that this might mean we end up waiting at the airport longer.

• Thanks 1