It’s been 10 years since I cruised on Carnival. This is the change which bothered me the most

mfs2k

24 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

In that experience when you asked and it did not happen, did you ask again?  Of course if you ask (and it can be done and it does not happen) you should expect to get what you ask for.  This has happened releatedly?

You've been on many cruises.  You are aware the servers are not hovering over your table once dessert is served, to see what else you may need.  They're tending to other tables, or preparing for a musical/dance performance, and they are not readily available to ask repeatedly.  I just went through this personally last week. Its frustrating if you want a simple cup of coffee with dessert and it's not served. these people ARE busy and coffee isn't their priority. 

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have been on way more and not experienced this either….

I think you're both missing the point.

The point about breakfast is there is now an EXPECTATION to use the app to be seated for breakfast in the dining room, rather than walking up to the host stand and asking to be seated.  I don't dislike the practice of using the app for those who choose to do so.  I dislike the Expectation to follow this process.  It's now the rule and not the exception.  I'm personally not a fan.  I get that you don't mind it. 

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I had the same exact issue with coffee on our cruise last week.  I asked for it nightly when I ordered, and I repeated the request when entrees were cleared but it never came with dessert.  I don't know what their problem is with coffee service, but the process is broken. 

I drink green tea with my dessert on ships. It needs time to steep and then cool down a little. From these responses I think I'll ask for it to be delivered mid-main course!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

If you read this thread, this issue is happening a lot across different ships.  That's a process problem. 

We get coffee with dessert every night, probably have 150 days at sea in the MDR post Covid, and have never once had an issue.

Now it is true that the dining room staff has been trimmed since, say 10 years ago. I discussed the specifics with a very senior waiter some cruises back but have forgotten the details. What it basically amounted to was a certain number of seats being covered by 5 rather than 6 staff members.

Servers are human, and things happen.  You can decide how to react.  Have we ever requested something in the MDR and not received it?  Of course.  Can it be frustrating?  Absolutely!  But the same thing happens occasionally at our favorite restaurant with our very favorite waiter.

In those instances, we either decide if we want to remind the server and ask again, or just move on.  There is nothing wrong with either.  In both case, we understand things happen, regardless of the venue.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

You've been on many cruises.  You are aware the servers are not hovering over your table once dessert is served, to see what else you may need.  They're tending to other tables, or preparing for a musical/dance performance, and they are not readily available to ask repeatedly.  I just went through this personally last week. Its frustrating if you want a simple cup of coffee with dessert and it's not served. these people ARE busy and coffee isn't their priority. 

I get it.  That said, my wife feels the same way as you.  We specifically ask for it and for the most part, it happens.  I would also agree that the wait staff has too many tables to serve.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Servers are human, and things happen.  You can decide how to react.  Have we ever requested something in the MDR and not received it?  Of course.  Can it be frustrating?  Absolutely!  But the same thing happens occasionally at our favorite restaurant with our very favorite waiter.

In those instances, we either decide if we want to remind the server and ask again, or just move on.  There is nothing wrong with either.  In both case, we understand things happen, regardless of the venue.

In all of our cruises, only one time did I find it necessary to address an issue more than once (that was not corrected by the person I asked to fix the problem.  In that case I met with the Maitre'd, he listened, he thanked me for coming forward with the problem during the cruise, and it was addressed.  Were things that go wrong other times?  sure.  Stuff happens

32 minutes ago, jsglow said:

We get coffee with dessert every night, probably have 150 days at sea in the MDR post Covid, and have never once had an issue.

Now it is true that the dining room staff has been trimmed since, say 10 years ago. I discussed the specifics with a very senior waiter some cruises back but have forgotten the details. What it basically amounted to was a certain number of seats being covered by 5 rather than 6 staff members.

yup

48 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I think you're both missing the point.

The point about breakfast is there is now an EXPECTATION to use the app to be seated for breakfast in the dining room, rather than walking up to the host stand and asking to be seated.  I don't dislike the practice of using the app for those who choose to do so.  I dislike the Expectation to follow this process.  It's now the rule and not the exception.  I'm personally not a fan.  I get that you don't mind it. 

Personally not a fan of MDR breakfasts, so I cannot really relate.  I have seen the crowds waiting to get into brunch - which would make me not go if they were handing out $20 bills with the food.  I understand your point.  They made a change (I think for dinner, cannot opine on breakfast) and for the most part I think it is an enhancement to the process, you can disagree....which is fine.  

Just now, Trueblueky said:

We left Port Canaveral during a thunderstorm. Early dining in MDR. Fortunately, we were one of the first to ask for a paper menu. 2,000 phones trying to access the QR code at the same time, during a thunderstorm, wasn't happening.

You lost me at the thunderstorm....but maybe that is me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aborgman said:

MDR coffee service is... awful.

Half the time I never get it.

The other half the time it's the worst coffee known to humanity, scorched/oxidized past recognition, and lukewarm.

I've just given up on that.

I am sure it was not literally "the worst coffee known to humanity ".

Edited by staceyglow

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Somewhere, someone is being served ""the worst coffee known to man"  Maybe it was his lucky day. 

Less than six months ago,  a woman was caught putting poison in her husband's coffee:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/10/us/arizona-woman-pleads-guilty-poison-husbands-coffee/index.html

And I can say with the utmost confidence that that coffee was worse than than what @aborgman has been served in the Carnival MDR.

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, kbh2 said:

I cannot stand to look at the menu on my phone and on our last cruise I asked for a menu every time, they did not like having to go get one. It should be preference and offered if asked for one without hassle. 

Did they tell you they did not like having to go get one, or was this your assumption?  What was the hassle you had to go through to get it, above and beyond asking for the menu?

13 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

Did they tell you they did not like having to go get one, or was this your assumption?  What was the hassle you had to go through to get it, above and beyond asking for the menu?

I asked them if it was okay I would like to have a paper menu and they would ask me to look at it on my phone. I responded with I would rather not have to use my phone would they please bring me a paper menu. They acted very irritated that they had to go get one. This happened many times over the course of the cruise. 

2 hours ago, Trueblueky said:

We left Port Canaveral during a thunderstorm. Early dining in MDR. Fortunately, we were one of the first to ask for a paper menu. 2,000 phones trying to access the QR code at the same time, during a thunderstorm, wasn't happening.

Ok, so now I'm confused. Do you have to use a QR code or are the menus on the hub app every day? I prefer not using QR codes as my phone seems to have issues with them.

Edited by Bollycats

2 minutes ago, kbh2 said:

I asked them if it was okay I would like to have a paper menu and they would ask me to look at it on my phone. I responded with I would rather not have to use my phone would they please bring me a paper menu. They acted very irritated that they had to go get one. This happened many times over the course of the cruise. 

If servers acted like that towards me it would pretty much ensure the extra tips I give out would be staying in my wallet. 

I can play the irritated game also but there should be no need for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

By day 2 I was ordering 1/2 a cup of coffee and 1/2 a cup of hot water and blending them.

The strangest thing to me is that the regular coffee from the machines on Lido is... fine. Not spectacular, but perfectly good coffee.

I don't know what madness they engage in to make the MDR coffee so bad.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

In that experience when you asked and it did not happen, did you ask again?  Of course if you ask (and it can be done and it does not happen) you should expect to get what you ask for.  This has happened releatedly?

On my last cruise -

I asked for coffee with dessert 5 times.

Twice I got it - and it was BAD.

Once they didn't bring it, I reminded them, then they brought me a cup of bad coffee.

Twice they didn't bring it, I reminded them, they still didn't bring it - and I had finished my dessert so I just gave up and left.