How much fun is fun?

babs135

Giving serious consideration to a 8/9 night cruise on the Venezia out of New York in November (package includes a night in the Big Apple).  I know that Carnival has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as being a fun-line, but what does this actually mean?  We are senior citizens and still like to have a good time, but neither of us able to get up and party anymore - the knees don't bend like they used to!!!  Will it be very noisy - can take the hearing aids out!!!!

Any other travellers about the same age as us are will it be mainly younger people - will I have to take DH's spectacles off!!!!

Value any genuine comments please.

With Carnival it usually depends on the time of year and length of cruise.  6 nights or less tend to have more families and a younger crowd.  7+ days tend to have an older vibe.  I have never been on a Carnival cruise where is was nothing but party. (always done 7+ days) Yes people tend to have a good time and drink, but you can always find quieter places.  I can't stay out till 3am anymore, so I just choose a room that is not above/below common areas and I have never had an issue with noise. 

Now, seeing as though your cruise is in August, you will probably have a lot of kids as it's the last bit of summer before school starts, but you will also see all age ranges, including yours.  If you can find a sailing the first couple of weeks after school starts then that will definitely cut down on the kids and have a lot more people your age range.

• Like 5

I did a back-to-back with a 10-day(Journeys) and 4-day. Wow, what a difference. The 4-day was weekend and when a lot of kids where out for Christmas break.

I agree with the other response, longer means less party crowd. As long as the November doesn’t cross Thanksgiving weekend, that would be close to perfect.

All cruises are fun.  If you are thinking Carnival cruises are throngs of people wildly dancing and drinking shots with music blasting, that is never true.  

All cruises could have small groups of people traveling together who leave their manners at home or think their celebration requires obnoxious behavior (family reunions/bachelorette groups) .

Parties are run by Cruise Directors  and are quite enjoyable.  Like this 

If this isn't your thing, there are plenty of places onboard that are quieter

A 9 day out of NY in November will have very little kids on board. Unless it’s over Thanksgiving. Longer cruises tend to draw an older demographic for sure.
They have more time & disposable $$. There will be some fun partiers and some readers too.
We’d be more concerned about cruising with a bunch of NYers. lol

Enjoy! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

Here are a couple recent reviews on Venezia.

I'd avoid Thanksgiving week, but rest of month should have fewer kids. Also agree, longer cruise better for your purposes.

Venezia cruise Thanksgiving week is actually a 12 day Cruise from the Sunday before Thanksgiving to the 2nd Friday after Thanksgiving.   I wouldn't think there would be many kids on this 12 day cruise.  I am on it, so we will see 🙂 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 1:30 PM, Elaine5715 said:

All cruises are fun.  If you are thinking Carnival cruises are throngs of people wildly dancing and drinking shots with music blasting, that is never true.  

All cruises could have small groups of people traveling together who leave their manners at home or think their celebration requires obnoxious behavior (family reunions/bachelorette groups) .

Parties are run by Cruise Directors  and are quite enjoyable.  Like this 

If this isn't your thing, there are plenty of places onboard that are quieter

Is it called jamming out?image.gif.f44b94c2b995e63f2fa9822382c64c5b.gif

On 9/18/2024 at 4:56 AM, babs135 said:

Giving serious consideration to a 8/9 night cruise on the Venezia out of New York in November (package includes a night in the Big Apple).  I know that Carnival has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as being a fun-line, but what does this actually mean?  We are senior citizens and still like to have a good time, but neither of us able to get up and party anymore - the knees don't bend like they used to!!!  Will it be very noisy - can take the hearing aids out!!!!

Any other travellers about the same age as us are will it be mainly younger people - will I have to take DH's spectacles off!!!!

Looked at your signature/cruising history - Carnival will be similar to RCL and NCL since you have picked a longer cruise.  You may have to avoid some areas that are set up to be a party i.e. the events that are being hyped by the CD but there should be plenty of quieter areas.

If you could now enjoy RCL or NCL you should be fine.  If those lines would be too loud then Carnival would be too.  Not much different.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 5:56 AM, babs135 said:

I did a 14 day journey cruise and we had 11 kids onboard. More fast food and a awesome country band, we were out of texas. 

The longer not only fewer kids but imo more seniors. Market was cornered on scooters and walkers on my very senior cruise.  The 14 day journey cruises I think younger people cant take so much time off and in a hurry. Nice cruise but i didnt see the partying side but lots got up to dance when the favorite band played. We followed them from venue to venue, sorry for that younger band. People want good music not a girl in a short mini skirt at a certain age. Turned out the country band was from south africa, so funny to talk to them and hear them talk. They learned 800 country songs and sounded like the real thing then that almost British twang when they spoke. Hahahaha.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I did a 14 day journey cruise and we had 11 kids onboard. More fast food and a awesome country band, we were out of texas. 

The longer not only fewer kids but imo more seniors. Market was cornered on scooters and walkers on my very senior cruise.  The 14 day journey cruises I think younger people cant take so much time off and in a hurry. Nice cruise but i didnt see the partying side but lots got up to dance when the favorite band played. We followed them from venue to venue, sorry for that younger band. People want good music not a girl in a short mini skirt at a certain age. Turned out the country band was from south africa, so funny to talk to them and hear them talk. They learned 800 country songs and sounded like the real thing then that almost British twang when they spoke. Hahahaha.

Nice

Our experience, especially on longer cruises, the clientele age does vary significantly.  It will def trend older at that time of year, but with all of the home schooling now a-days, we have seen more kids in off school break times.  The weather will probably be cool for the days beginning and the end.  Sail away out of the city is amazing, the best we have ever experienced.  There are cultural aspect to sailing from New York that some may like or not, but for us, it is like a color in the rainbow, all good.   

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 5:56 AM, babs135 said:

Giving serious consideration to a 8/9 night cruise on the Venezia out of New York in November (package includes a night in the Big Apple). 

As others have said, on an 8-9 night cruise out of New York in November, there will be few kids unless you're sailing Thanksgiving Week (US).  It won't be an intense party atmosphere either.  Spring break time (Feb-April) is more party-centric. It will be an older couples crowd, 40's to 70's and some older. There will also be various groups as this is a time groups plan outings and they good deals from the cruise lines.

I've often said the problem with cruising out of New York is you're cruising with a lot of New Yorkers, and we tend to be a pretty intense and stessed out bunch until we get a day or two to chill.  Many will be impatient when they board and anxious for the first couple of drinks. The inside bars will be crowded the first day or two with people trying to get the bartender's attention.

The other consideration you need to factor is weather.  It won't be warm enough to sit outside until your second sea day and the on the return heading north, you won't want to be outside on the last sea day. You'll be inside a lot more than if you sailed out of a southern state such as Texas or Florida where it's warmer year-round. 

Edited by mfs2k

We are getting ready to take our 20th Carnival cruise. We are 56 and 65. Carnival has never overwhelmed us on any cruise with partying. We seem to always find a place that suits our needs. If we want to laugh, we find it. If we want quiet, we find it. After a long day in port, we go to bed and it’s generally quiet. I think you will have a great time !

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.  Unfortunately in the short time between posting the question and now circumstances have changed and sadly we are not in a position to book this cruise.

I have, however, made note of your comments and will definitely be more than happy to consider cruising Carnival should the opportunity arise.

Thanks again.

• Like 1