MDR & jeans

Hobar

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Hooray, a dress code discussion!

Getting the popcorn out! 🍿🥤

Only if people make gratuitous comments (i.e. post #3) and offer their unsolicited opinions. 

Edited by Hobar
Reference
  • Haha 1

Yet another example of the downgrade of Seabourn.  I remember having dinner in the pre-TK R2 with Eric & Jean Cass (for those of you who don't know they had the most nights ever - competition w/ Mrs. W for awhile - on Seabourn and were the nicest people I've ever met on any cruise, we were privileged to be friends and always invited to dine with them when our paths crossed) when they rolled out the ad Hoc night and Eddie - long time Seabourn crew - came into R2 wearing TK jeans and Jean asked him "Why?"  Back then no one ever thought to wear jeans.  Seabourn pax used to think dressing smartly was part of the luxury experience, now I guess not.  Slobs rule...  and no enforcement of the supposed dress code nor reserving of chairs. 

• Like 2

Yeah but some of the jeans folks are in the ready-to-wear business.

Just don’t knock it, dude! And be prepared when they tell you their “designer jeans” cost big bucks. So nothing to do with elegance.

Ok? 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Or...."dress Jeans?"  You've got to be kidding!

I found it interesting that Regent who we are soon to try, is considered less dressy than Seabourn but has a policy of no jeans after 6pm in the dining rooms. I can only wonder if it is considered not so dressy because of the less likelihood of Formal Optional nights. 

• Like 3

Just off Regent Splendor for 19 nights. 
Passengers were uniformly nicely dressed after 6 in all common areas. 
Very occasionally saw jeans/fleeces etc in bars, which we attributed to late returning excursions. 
The overall “casual elegance” of the vast majority of the passengers contributed greatly to our enjoyment of a truly special cruise experience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/22/2024 at 12:34 AM, Hobar said:

Remind me again - are jeans (pressed, no holes, finished bottoms - what you’d see in a NYT ad for example) allowed in the MDR on the non-expedition ships?

On Ovation other than the formal night the Herald said smart jeans were allowed in all dining venues for Dinner.

The types of jeans that well-off people wear today usually look as good or better than chinos which many people wear to dinner. So I no personally have no issue with them.

What I do find off-putting is when people wear T-shirts, shorts, flip-flops and ball caps to dinner as on our just concluded TA cruise on the Sun Princess. Fortunately, we sailed in Sanctuary class where pax always dressed appropriately in our dedicated dining room. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, commodoredave said:

The types of jeans that well-off people wear today usually look as good or better than chinos which many people wear to dinner. So I no personally have no issue with them.

What I do find off-putting is when people wear T-shirts, shorts, flip-flops and ball caps to dinner as on our just concluded TA cruise on the Sun Princess. Fortunately, we sailed in Sanctuary class where pax always dressed appropriately in our dedicated dining room. 

On 10/12/2024 at 9:14 AM, commodoredave said:

I’ve seen some quite good looking jeans looking quite good on some people.  Oftentimes more aesthetically pleasing than other forms of dress. And chinos, never. 

Besides the 30 second walk from the entrance to a table, your legs are under your table hidden by a table cloth the entire meal. Seriously - who cares if it’s black designer jeans (apparently the end of the world for some) or $25 Dockers pants (apparently totally fine)? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Besides the 30 second walk from the entrance to a table, your legs are under your table hidden by a table cloth the entire meal. Seriously - who cares if it’s black designer jeans (apparently the end of the world for some) or $25 Dockers pants (apparently totally fine)? 

Exactly.  Why then do some get so fussed about jeans??  (Not sure what Dockers are but I sense from your comment and the price tag that they are pedestrian.)

20 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Seriously - who cares if it’s black designer jeans (apparently the end of the world for some) or $25 Dockers pants (apparently totally fine)? 

My thoughts exactly.  Dockers, hiking pants with zip off legs, chinos, etc...   But designer jeans are the wardrobe of the Devil to many.

• Like 1

Hahahaha ha.

The “designer” in “designer jeans” is a con. They we/are just blue jeans with faux “I need this” fashion statement provenance. Most of us remember the brand that started it all in NY; it started with the letter J and they claimed to “have the look”, for all you Trivia mavens. And surely it’s become very profitable for those merchandisers and investors in the business. You betcha.

So now they’re in the mainstream vocabulary. Just as dockers and hiking pants are. But they’re nothing more than mass market leisurewear. Nothing to do with elegance at all, nor are those who wear them for dinner in the MDR. 

Works for camping, painting, gardening, farming and barbecues though every time, as I am sure we can all agree.

Edited by markham
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have had to refill my popcorn bowl a few times, taking delight in how this thread morphed into posters posting unsolicited opinions, deviating from the question posed by the OP and not answering the simple question. I know of no other posts than jeans that excites so many.  I am refilling the bowl so please, continue.  And no, @markham, we cannot “all agree.”    

• Like 6

The 'yes or no to jeans' argument divides people up into I would say three groups - those who obviously despise jeans at almost any time; those who like wearing them, and do so on casual and informal evenings, ideally when they are not blue denim but a more suitable shade, and those who want to wear them whenever they feel like it, even if it annoys others and results in being sent away from dining rooms.  As a member of the middle group, I find it hard to take either of the other groups very seriously.  Certainly endless posts about them will continue, for ever, I suspect.

• Like 5

Esquired,

I take your point. Jeans and their derivatives do not always work for barbecues. Some barbecues can be special events and even luxurious depending on the occasion, venue and catering quality.

So jeans are hardly always appropriate. Maybe more appropriate for rodeos.

A good rule of thumb is it’s best to respect the theme and/or host’s wishes. Seabourn does offer at the Colonnade “comfort food dinners” periodically with American diner fare. That too would work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, markham said:

A good rule of thumb is it’s best to respect the theme and/or host’s wishes. 

Agreed.  And the host's wishes, as per the dress code, make it very clear that elegant jeans are welcome in all dining rooms on all nights other than formal.  It would be nice if some of the posters on here would show respect for other passengers and the host's wishes by respecting that.

• Like 9