The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 25th, 2024

StLouisCruisers

I see. I remember my grandfather spending the fall walking around his yard, local parks and school yards, gathering pecans with his picker upper. He was proud of his haul and used to use the Farmers Almanac to predict crops and weather. He was a gem, born in 1898.  He would be upset to learn that today we pay for a bottle of water. And that pecans are $13 a pound!

Thanks for clearing up the misconception I had about nut picker things. Who knew you can get them at Home Depot.

• Like 15

37 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

We ordered two and had an acorn gathering session this afternoon.  They worked pretty well in the area that we were trying to clean up.  In an hour we gathered about 10 gallons of acorns.

IMG_0508.thumb.png.81b5fd382cb90c1720b7e319cb7e84f9.png

That's awesome!  Thanks!  I'll show it to DH and see if he wants one.

• Like 10

A late check in from St Petersburg where we are relieved that Helene is staying about 100 miles away from us.  Late tomorrow we will get 40 to maybe 60 MPH winds and 4 to 6 feet storm surge, and hopefully no more.  Most of us can handle that.

What a difference a week makes. Last Wednesday we were sailing out of Tampa Bay on the Serenade OFS headed to Cozumel.  The seas were flat and so incredibly smooth.  When we left the ship Sunday, it was to return to Cozumel, but instead went to the Bahamas to avoid the storm. They will have a bumpy ride getting in Friday morning and may be delayed.

Aside from the Hurricane news, Captain Albert posted his review of our old Ryndam, now Celestyal  Journey.  The Ryndam was sold pre covid in 2015 right before the new Pinnacle class Koningsdam arrived.  She went to P & O Australia first, idled during covid and then was sold again to Celestyal.  Albert and his spouse very much enjoyed returning to one of the 4 S ships.  

Hope everyone has a good night and a better tomorrow.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea why it feels like a Friday night for me, probably because Donna texted me, to inform me that state offices are closed tomorrow, but they will work from home, and they are closed on Friday due to Helene.  So I dont walk the dog for the rest of the week.  I can sleep late.

The governor has called for a state of emergency for GA.

The county spokesperson is telling us to stay safe and only call 911 with a true emergency.  To shelter in place, until the place isnt there any more.

The power company is telling us to unplug everything when we lose power..

My question is this, in a state of emergency with an impending hurricane, tornadoes and hail expected, why has my doctor not cancelled my appointment on Friday Morning?  Guess I should be the one to cancel that appointment.

And @smitty34877 your brother is right.  Pine trees are everywhere, and Georgia pines are the ones where the weight of the tree is all at the top, they drop branches as the grow.  Our Georgia pines are in the backyard at the top of the hill.  Depending which way the wind blows, they will either crash on us, or fall into our neighbors yard.  Or the awful person who lives behind us.  Lets hope for the neighbors empty backyard.

We are getting closer and closer to having the Cedar Key vacation cancelled, inhabitants of Cedar Key are under mandatory  evacuation, except for the Clambassador and the two guys that run the resort.  With a 15 foot and more storm surge expected, the cabins will be in the water again.  50 percent of their restaurants and shops burned down on Saturday or are heavily damaged  Maybe we should reschedule for a February not October.  Looks like a nice visit with Momma Norma in Arkansas, but we shall see after Helene gets done with its damage.

BFF is very excited about the prospect of a trip to Arkansas, I want to visit more Civil war battle fields in TN, and our friend Teresa told us about a sculpture garden in Bentonville.  So if we can drag DH away from mom for a day or two, we should find some adventures.  Maybe drive over to Oklahoma, so I can add another state to my map. 

I hope that Keith is as generous with information as Amanda was, and thank you @Quartzsite Cruiserfor passing the information on to us.  Hopefully Roy's new "bunkie" wont be as bad.

@Vict0riannI am glad that you face timed with your DH last night, and hope you got a chance to see him today-you may have said that but my mind isnt holding info for very long these days

And we finally got the police report filed.  One less thing that we have to do!  Yeah.  To get the report coped and picked up, takes a week, and we already know that the week will be extended by two days, but it got done!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've been reading on CC that Glacier Bay permits have been stopped and some of the ships won't be going there.  This was on the WCB Zaandam Live From thread.  Koningsdam is scheduled to be in Glacier Bay today but seems to be anchored off Icy Strait Point right now and it's middle of the night there so...  Anyone reading this know if Glacier Bay is still in the cards for the Koningsdam today?  

Thanks for sharing your amazing Norway pictures!!

This is the first I've read about ships possibly not going to GB. We leave Sat on the Eurodam and are to be in GB on Tues Oct 1.

It is still on our itinerary and we've not rec'd the dreaded itinerary change email from HAL.

• Like 9