The app if you do not have the Internet plan

So I am on the Serenade of the Seas on Oct 20, 2024.  I do not need, plan to  use or want the internet package for the week.  I am traveling with family and friends who will not be using the package either, however I was told today by customer service that  the  app will be of no use to me on the ship even though I have  been instructed many times  that  we should have the app  installed on our phones for boarding, and other needs on the ship like the daily planner.  IS THIS TRUE?

No, it's not true.  The app works without the internet package. You have to connect to ship's wifi and put your phone in airplane mode.  When you connect it will ask if you want it for the app or if you want to connect to Voom.  Just choose the one for the app.  Customer service was wrong.

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

You don't need to do anything special to use the app. Just connect to ship wifi and go.

When you launch a browser is where you'd get those questions.

Gee, I've used it many times.  It can and does ask when connecting to the wifi (most of the time).  

24 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've never seen that when using the app.  Are you using an iPhone by chance? Maybe it's some Android/iPhone difference.

Google Pixel 8 for the last few months, before that Pixel 6.  It does it when we switch between voom and just using the app, but I've seen it other times.  It comes up with two blue outlined boxes when you connect to wifi.  The voom link takes you to a logon page.  

Not only can you use the app on the ship, I feel it’s necessary to be able to see what’s going on, or to check on your account. But it also has a chat function that’s free. Sometimes you’ll get a notification when someone sends a message, but not all the time.

But last time we cruised I bought the internet, but DH didn’t and oddly we were able to use messages app on our iPhone between each other. 

The app works on board without a paid Voom plan.  For example, checking your account balance to make sure all the charges are valid or confirming ship time.  

Enable airplane mode, connect to ship WiFi and if it doesn't bring up the sign in page visit logout.com which should redirect to this sign in page.

Android:

Screenshot_20240925_160033_CaptivePortalLogin.thumb.jpg.08bdd1d6dca5328bfd8228dfdf9bd04a.jpg

Apple:

IMG_0624.thumb.PNG.bceb79f7c3bc069c4065a695dba0f656.PNG