Plus package usage while in port

Knickearth

I know there is an extra 10% VAT added to drinks purchases when in Spanish territorial waters. I remember this being added to the onboard account when on a Celebrity cruise leaving from Barcelona. I assume this will be the same on all cruise lines, and probably happens in other areas too. Hopefully the main drink price will be covered by the Plus though?

Hello, i just returned yesterday ( 9/28)  from a Canada/New England Cruise. I was concerned about this policy, as it did clearly state in the fine print, no packages would be honored until reaching International waters. I was travelling on Enchanted with the new Premier Package

We boarded in New York at 10:30 am and the drinks were flowing, no issue whatsoever using the packages. No mention of limitations, costs etc. I checked the folio carefully to see if something was going to hit, but nothing. We stayed on the ship most port days, and took full advantage of the packages in the US ports, again no charges whatsoever.

The only time there was a slight "restriction" was in Canadian Ports where by law only one bar per deck/1000 pax was allowed to be open. didn't really notice an issue here though as there was always somewhere to get a drink, or have one delivered by Ocean Now

Bottom line, the policy and practice are inconsistent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have sailed out of or visited the states listed and never had a charge for drinks except Texas.  Ships sailing out of Galveston are required to only sell alcoholic drinks bought in Texas from licensed distributors.  No package can apply until the ship is in international waters which takes about 2 or so hours after leaving port. This used to not be an issue until Texas ABC raised its ugly head.  

14 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Not necessarily. Ships may not be in compliance with the ABC laws. 

What everyone seems to be missing is that some localities and countries enforce alcoholic beverages laws in regard to cruise ships and others do not.  As things get tighter economically governments look for $$.

Having a law and enforcement are two very different animals.  For example talking on a cell phone is illegal is almost every jurisdiction in the US, but is rarely enforced.  Seems people are noticing changes not in the laws, but enforcement. 

Second, unlimited drinks is not likely an issue.  The big issue is that every state in the US requires alcoholic beverages to go from distiller to wholesaler to retailer.  Cruise ships cannot comply with this (ie Texas).  Thus is California or Washington or Alaska enforcing their laws similarly to Texas.  I have no idea except I know cruise ships cannot comply with the existing laws for West Coast US ports to obtain a license.  Seems more likely that a lobbying action to obtain an exemption or modification (like Canada and others with limited bar service) will happen.

Wow.

Well not much can be said if it's law, but the fact that Princess won't apply even a discount is petty. Is it a deal breaker? Maybe not, but it sure reveals Corporate Greed at its finest, and dirty stain on its reputation. Guess it's a "no sail" to ports involved and Princess in future (said with clamped teeth after booking a cruise and the package for the whole family, for the summer) This preamble re the packages should be noted when pax purchases both in writing online and verbally by agent.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Wow.

Well not much can be said if it's law, but the fact that Princess won't apply even a discount is petty. Is it a deal breaker? Maybe not, but it sure reveals Corporate Greed at its finest, and dirty stain on its reputation. Guess it's a "no sail" to ports involved and Princess in future (said with clamped teeth after booking a cruise and the package for the whole family, for the summer) This preamble re the packages should be noted when pax purchases both in writing online and verbally by agent.

Again where is one actual person who has been charged for a drink on a coastal cruise ?  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Wow.

If they are unable to provide a discount on the premier package, it has nothing to do with greed. It's illegal.

23 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If they are unable to provide a discount on the premier package, it has nothing to do with greed. It's illegal.

Princess disclosed that while in certain ports serving alcohol will not be possible.  Those are the terms.

Thus you have a choice to purchase the package that has modifications or not.  The choice is yours.

Again has anyone been charged for a drink while in a California port or Seattle?  So far lots of wingeing but no substance.  Sales Tax while in Ft Lauderdale port is very old news.

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Princess disclosed that while in certain ports serving alcohol will not be possible.  Those are the terms.

Thus you have a choice to purchase the package that has modifications or not.  The choice is yours.

Again has anyone been charged for a drink while in a California port or Seattle?  So far lots of wingeing but no substance.  Sales Tax while in Ft Lauderdale port is very old news.

No substance indeed much like politicians speechs

I have been on just under 50 Princess cruises. Plus fare or paying by the drink, I don't ever remember an issue that I would consider inconvenient, underhanded or cheating regarding alcoholic beverages while the ship was in port. It is basically a non issue. 

There are 56 posts here. Time to close this discussion.

So I goggled this, and yes indeed there are ports that mandate this rule. Some include UK, Greece, Grand Cayman, Canada to name a few. 

I didn't suggest the cruise line break any rules, but did suggest they offer a discount to the whole package esp if entering multiple ports on a cruise where your alcohol consumption might be greater. What about the ports that you overnight in?

I've been on 27 cruises, packages and no packages and can honestly say, I've never looked at my bill at the end, so can't verify any of the posters claims, but have now read the Princess blurb re the packages, and will reconsider the expensive Cabana purchase for entire cruise, when you don't plan on getting off in port.

I am on the Grand right now with the new Premier and no problem with having drinks aboard with the package. Spoke to a crew member selling the packages on board and he said you are good as soon as you step onboard, seems to be true. By the way, we are in LA heading to Hawaii.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2024 at 6:41 PM, So_Tweetie said:

Princess policy regarding packages in Texas does not reflect Texas law. 

Their policy is their answer to a Texas law. Other cruise lines respond to the law differently but the root cause is still Texas law.

On 9/29/2024 at 5:16 AM, grimace95120 said:

Hello, i just returned yesterday ( 9/28)  from a Canada/New England Cruise. I was concerned about this policy, as it did clearly state in the fine print, no packages would be honored until reaching International waters. I was travelling on Enchanted with the new Premier Package

As determined by Princess. That's what the policy says. I see this as a loophole.

New terms and conditions added to the new Premier package. I copied and pasted the actual terms…..

The upgraded Princess Premier Package includes unlimited beverages priced up to $20.00 USD/$30 AUD each as listed on Princess menu(s). A daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages priced up to US$20/ $30 AUD (as listed on Princess Cruises’ menus) applies to the original Princess Premier package. On sailings that begin in ports in the United States of California, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, Virginia and Washington, the alcoholic beverages portion of a Package will not take effect until the ship on which the guest is sailing is in international waters, as determined by Princess Cruises, and therefore any alcoholic beverages purchased by a guest before a ship is in international waters will be charged to a guest’s onboard account; no discounts will be provided to the Package price or refunds as a result of this. 

According to google, international waters is typically 12 miles off shore. How quickly does the ship typically enter international waters?

New terms and conditions added to the new Premier package. I copied and pasted the actual terms…..

The upgraded Princess Premier Package includes unlimited beverages priced up to $20.00 USD/$30 AUD each as listed on Princess menu(s). A daily limit of 15 alcoholic beverages priced up to US$20/ $30 AUD (as listed on Princess Cruises’ menus) applies to the original Princess Premier package. On sailings that begin in ports in the United States of California, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, Virginia and Washington, the alcoholic beverages portion of a Package will not take effect until the ship on which the guest is sailing is in international waters, as determined by Princess Cruises, and therefore any alcoholic beverages purchased by a guest before a ship is in international waters will be charged to a guest’s onboard account; no discounts will be provided to the Package price or refunds as a result of this. 

According to google, international waters is typically 12 miles off shore. How quickly does the ship typically enter international waters?

14 hours ago, Moondogy said:

This was not enforced leaving Seattle on Sunday. All packages worked time of boarding 

• Like 1