MAS details and thoughts

jds2001

It seems NCL screwed the pooch on keeping it under wraps until 9:30AM, so here goes my previously written post on this.

Now that it can be officially discussed, here are some thoughts on the ACTUAL changes with MAS.

TL; DR - this is a good evolution to FAS; it eliminates the idea that you’re paying “gratuities” on something and introduces much more straightforward pricing.

First, this REPLACES FAS wholesale. The program’s structure is mostly unchanged, but the inclusions are very different in both the beverage and dining package, and the pricing has slightly increased. The concept that you are just paying gratuities on some (fake) retail value is gone, and as before you can accept or reject individual pieces of the package.

There is now only one alcoholic beverage package available, and it is more akin (but not identical) to the old Premium Plus Beverage Package, and the cost is dependent on the length of sailing. For a 1-7 day sailing, it is $30/pp/day; for an 8-11 night sailing, it is $27/pp/day; and for a 12+ night sailing, it is $23/pp/day. This applies to guests 1-8 in the cabin as it does today. Bottled water and Starbucks are not included in this package; however, the separate Starbucks and water packages remain available for purchase. The materials that NCL sent out said that this package would cover 90% of beverage brands available on board. For brands that are not included, you will receive a $15 discount with the package, as you do today.

With this change, effective 1/1/25, the Premium Plus Beverage Package and Free at Sea Plus upgrades are no longer available. If they have been purchased previously, they will be refunded to the original form of payment. All guests who opted for a beverage package, whether at FAS or MAS pricing, will receive the MAS beverage package. This is the ONLY component that changes for existing reservations.

With this change, taxes will be waived on food and beverage in US ports, on EU sailings, or in Spanish/Italian waters. This is a welcome change that will eliminate nuisance charges.

If you don’t purchase the beverage package pre-sailing, it will be available for purchase onboard for the first two days at $89/pp/day.

Next is the specialty dining. All venues are moving to a "cover charge" (and we can gnash our teeth about the meaning of that phrase), more properly known as a prix fixe menu. Additional specialty dining packages are no longer offered; however, any packages already purchased will be honored. The prix fixe menu offers three appetizers, one main course, and three desserts.

The number and prices of meals in the package have changed as well. First, the meals are $20/ea, and the number included depends on cabin category and length of sailing. For Oceanview and below, for a 12+ night sailing, you get 3 meals; 8-11 nights 2 meals; and for 3-7 nights one meal. For a balcony and above, for a 12+ night cruise, you get 5 meals, 8-11 4 meals, 7 nights you get 3 meals, 4-6 nights 2 meals, and 3 nights 1 meal. As mentioned, additional nights beyond this are not available for purchase any longer, and you would have to pay the cover charge at each restaurant.

What is the cover charge? For steak, Teppanyaki, French, and seafood restaurants, it is $60; for Brazil, Asian, Food Republic, and sushi, it is $50; and for Italian, Mexican, BBQ, and Pincho(??), it is $40. This could represent a saving over today. Additional packages were around $50/night, so you can use your package meals for Cagney’s and Le Bistro, for example, and pay for the cheaper ones.

Now for the less good change for long voyages. WiFi has simultaneously increased and decreased. What do I mean by that? The number of minutes has been decreased for long sailings to 150, but it now applies to every guest in the stateroom, not just the first 2. For short sailings (3-6 nights) it remains at 75 minutes, and for 7 nights and longer, 150 minutes. There remains no charge for this.

The $50 per tour shore excursion credit is unchanged; however, with the elimination of FAS+ it now applies to only the first person in the stateroom with no opportunity to upgrade. BOGO airfare is also unchanged, as well as the 3rd and 4th guest for free of $99 (plus port charges) for select sailings.

In conclusion, I think that this is a logical evolution of the program, and there are some missteps in it, but not much (notably the elimination of FAS+). I hold out hope that a MAS+ will be introduced at some point in the future.

Edited by jds2001
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, belchro22 said:

I just did a mock booking for a cruise we already had booked for March 2025. I noticed we had 2 meals for dining FAS for $39. The cost of the mock booking is $120 for 3 meals.

Correct, I'm assuming 2 people - so at $20/meal, $120 for 3 meals would be correct.

Edited by jds2001
too early :D

8 minutes ago, jds2001 said:

Next is the specialty dining. All venues are moving to a "cover charge" (and we can gnash our teeth about the meaning of that phrase), more properly known as a prix fixe menu. Additional specialty dining packages are no longer offered; however, any packages already purchased will be honored. The prix fixe menu offers three appetizers, one main course, and three desserts.

So does this mean you get can get three appetizers and thee desserts with each meal? Or a combination of three appetizers/desserts? I'm assuming it's the latter.

I'm wondering if we should bother re-pricing our TA next year. I think it's 14 or 15 days. We don't care too much about specialty restaurants, but we would get two more.

Have there been any changes announced to the Latitudes perks?

Just now, brookie848 said:

So does this mean you get can get three appetizers and thee desserts with each meal? Or a combination of three appetizers/desserts? I'm assuming it's the latter.

Actually the former, perhaps my wording wasn't clear. A total of 7 items, 3 apps, a main, and 3 desserts. Who on earth could eat all that is beyond me (well, me before I lost all the weight - I used to weigh 300lbs and would again if I ate all that!)

I'm wondering if we should bother re-pricing our TA next year. I think it's 14 or 15 days. We don't care too much about specialty restaurants, but we would get two more.

I priced out the changes for a Panama Canal cruise before this, the increase for a 15 day cruise in a balcony is like $100 and you get 2 more meals. IMO not worth it, because that's about what you'd pay on board for those 2 meals.

Have there been any changes announced to the Latitudes perks?

Nope. One of the FAQ's they put out is that Latitudes remains unchanged.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jds2001 said:

Actually the former, perhaps my wording wasn't clear. A total of 7 items, 3 apps, a main, and 3 desserts. Who on earth could eat all that is beyond me (well, me before I lost all the weight - I used to weigh 300lbs and would again if I ate all that!)

Cripes...we usually split one dessert between the two of us!

I'm glad Latitudes isn't changing. I'd be upset if they took away my laundry!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jds2001 said:

Nope. One of the FAQ's they put out is that Latitudes remains unchanged.

how does the reservations for the latitudes specially dining work if you dont have the more at sea/free at sea dinning package? 

with each restaurant now having a cover charge of 40-60 dollars, it is going to ask you to pay when you create the reservation before the cruise. It was much easier when the restaurant was al la carte as that did not require any payment when making reservations 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

how does the reservations for the latitudes specially dining work if you dont have the more at sea/free at sea dinning package? 

I have the same question. They didn't cover that, and I certainly hope that they don't charge you up front for it!

I am interested in seeing a list of the "included" alcohol and what is on the Connoisseur Collection.

I am still a little confused though. On one thing it said that "All previously upgraded beverage packages will be removed and the original form of payment will be refunded." and then under who is eligible it says "Any reservation created on or after October 1, 2024 for a 3+ day sailing January 1, 2025 and beyond is eligible."

We booked our March 2025 cruise back in January, and paid for the FAS+. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

• Like 4

It’s annoying that they say that water packages are still available to purchase.

We don’t want a whole load of cartons of still water delivered to my room at the start of the cruise. We want pelegrino with our meals or when we are at a bar (it’s recommended - and also nice - to drink water along with alcoholic drinks), and there is no package that offers that.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 17

I have a cruise booked for September 2025 in the Haven. I prepaid for the FAS + when I booked it. 
I just checked my reservation details and the FAS+ has been removed. 
I had already booked and paid for several shores excursions, getting the additional guest $50 off. Will those still be honored? I’ll be pissed if they come back asking for more money.

Just checked a mock booking and the stateroom price is the same as yesterday, but the $540 for the MAS beverages and the $160 dining is additional.

To replace what I’d have gotten with the FAS+ pkg at $980 will now cost north of $1200.

And while they were in a rush to remove my FAS+, I’m sure they’ll take their sweet time returning my money.

Edited by justhappy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, justhappy said:

I have a cruise booked for September 2025 in the Haven. I prepaid for the FAS + when I booked it. 
I just checked my reservation details and the FAS+ has been removed. 
I had already booked and paid for several shores excursions, getting the additional guest $50 off. Will those still be honored? I’ll be pissed if they come back asking for more money.

Just checked a mock booking and the stateroom price is the same as yesterday, but the $540 for the MAS beverages and the $160 dining is additional.

To replace what I’d have gotten with the FAS+ pkg at $980 will now cost north of $1200.

They are removed from mine as well, but the balance owed has not changed.

48 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

I am interested in seeing a list of the "included" alcohol and what is on the Connoisseur Collection.

Me too. In the email to TA's yesterday, they said 90% of beverage brands available are included. I'd be interested in knowing specifically what's in the 10% that's not.

48 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

I am still a little confused though. On one thing it said that "All previously upgraded beverage packages will be removed and the original form of payment will be refunded." and then under who is eligible it says "Any reservation created on or after October 1, 2024 for a 3+ day sailing January 1, 2025 and beyond is eligible."

This is probably poor wording. Bookings made as of today are eligible for MAS. All previously purchased FAS+/PPBP will be refunded.

• Like 5

I mentioned this on the other thread.  There is not much change

Excursion credit - no change

Internet credit - no real change but slick marketing "advanced internet"
Drinks - increases prices from the $15 max.  But if prices are raised per drink is there a benefit? No specialty coffees or bottled water included.  But some top shelf alcohol included

Meals - adds 1 specialty dining package for balcony and above for 7 night cruise.  Adds cover charges to all specialty dining.  Patrons can now order 3 appetizers and 3 desserts.

I see this a way of steering customers to the specialty restaurants more which NCL makes money.  The winners are those that guzzle grey goose and can eat 3 desserts in specialty restaurants 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

But some top shelf alcohol included

Not really. They've just expanded their list of included mid-tier brands. Which I'm sure included some peoples' favorites so that's not a bad thing. But I've always been sure those lists were more about what deals NCL could get with their distributor than any real gauge of quality (or even retail price). For example, Buffalo Trace was always on the FAS list and that can be a really hard to find and expensive whiskey where I live. Woodford Reserve and Bulleit, which just made the list are not. 

I'm sure the actual top shelf, the stuff old enough to vote, is safely in the Connoisseur's List. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

For example, Buffalo Trace was always on the FAS list and that can be a really hard to find and expensive whiskey where I live. Woodford Reserve and Bulleit, which just made the list are not. 

Bulliet has been on the regular' FAS list for some time. I had lots of it on the Jade in February.

It had been on the regular for a while, then they moved to the FAS+ list, then moved it back. That was part of the reason we had started getting the FAS+ a few years ago so that the hubby could get that.

It is also very hard to find where I am from as well. We had bought a couple of bottles onboard the ship once because it was so hard to find here. I don't think they have sold it in the store onboard the last few cruises though.

• Thanks 1

So it's really those of us who always purchased the Free At Sea+ that are getting screwed -- no more bottles of wine with dinner, no more super premium spirits and wines (I always upgraded just for the high quality Scotch and Champagne), no more unlimited bottled water or unlimited Starbucks included either. We always made great use of the unlimited wifi and devices as well, as we both have to work while cruising. This is NOT an improvement for FAS+ folks. Quite disappointed here, especially because we can't even upgrade to the additional specialty meal package anymore since it doesn't exist! I sure hope NCL comes up with a "More At Sea +" product too.

• Like 12

@jds2001 I just want to clarify how this affects my 15 day Panama Canal cruise in March. We have just the regular FAS and have no plans to change over to MAS.

Since we have the FAS drink package, my understanding is we keep this but we will get the benefit of MAS of not having a $15 cap and no changes to the gratuities we already paid?

With FAS we have 3 specialty dining meals--will we still have these with no changes to the gratuities we already paid?  Will we have the 3 apps, 1 entree, 3 desserts as listed on MAS or will it be the same as FAS has always been?

With FAS we have 300 minutes of wifi, will we still get this or will they downgrade us to 150 minutes like the MAS is?

I appreciate all your insight on this new promotion.

3 minutes ago, moviegal said:

So it's really those of us who always purchased the Free At Sea+ that are getting screwed -- no more bottles of wine with dinner, no more super premium spirits and wines (I always upgraded just for the high quality Scotch and Champagne), no more unlimited bottled water or unlimited Starbucks included either. We always made great use of the unlimited wifi and devices as well, as we both have to work while cruising. This is NOT an improvement for FAS+ folks. Quite disappointed here, especially because we can't even upgrade to the additional specialty meal package anymore since it doesn't exist! I sure hope NCL comes up with a "More At Sea +" product too.

Exactly how I feel. The rep kept telling me that this is an upgrade but in reality they're removing things. 

There will no longer be an upgrade or "plus" option. I really hope they change this. The bottled water with dinner and champagne were my reasons + WiFi. No more Clicquot with Le Bistro and no more fresh juices... 

Edited by kmetz
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

It’s annoying that they say that water packages are still available to purchase.

We don’t want a whole load of cartons of still water delivered to my room at the start of the cruise. We want pelegrino with our meals or when we are at a bar (it’s recommended - and also nice - to drink water along with alcoholic drinks), and there is no package that offers that.

Amen.  I am a major consumer of Pellegrino at home and have always been annoyed that beverages that are far more expensive would be included in the FAS drink package but not still/sparkling waters.  Seems nonsensical, especially since I then order the (free) Prosecco instead which surely costs NCL more. I was hoping the new MAS would correct this.

• Like 5