Plus wines

45 minutes ago, margeecruiser said:

I'm concerned about the quality of the wine choices in the Plus package.  Can I buy better/more expensive wine and pay the difference?

That's exactly how it works. Any alcohol on the ship is available to anyone, with or without a Package. The package level simply determines your "deductible", so yes, with Plus you would pay the delta + tax. Note that there aren't really that many wines or spirits that are over the Plus limit, and those that are will be usually about $3-$5 more per glass. VERY expensive stuff is hard to find.

In April I found the plus wines to be "lacking" to say the least, at least the reds. For $1 to $3 (plus 18% on the $1-$3) there were much better choices.  I did watch them sell a bottle at 25% off, plus tip, to someone for around $50 when, if by ordered by the glass could have been had for under $20.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Generally find wines at Vines superior to especially the MDR.  Big issue atVines is if there is a band playing nearby the noise is dreadful.

Agreed. Get a “double” at Vines and take it to the dining room. Cuts down on the time it takes to get a drink in the MDR, as well.

• Like 2

Haven't cruised since 2019, so anxious to check this all out.  Was on the Emerald 30 days in 2018, Vines was my hangout.  So. Amer. introduced me to Malbec, generally like the reds.  I'm onboard Emerald the 17th.  Can't wait.

I've been to wine tastings, bought wine on vineyard tours, had quite a few favs in NE Wis. when I lived near Door County.  I'm not enough of a connoisseur by any means so I might be quite happy with selections 

2 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Haven't cruised since 2019, so anxious to check this all out.  Was on the Emerald 30 days in 2018, Vines was my hangout.  So. Amer. introduced me to Malbec, generally like the reds.  I'm onboard Emerald the 17th.  Can't wait.

I've been to wine tastings, bought wine on vineyard tours, had quite a few favs in NE Wis. when I lived near Door County.  I'm not enough of a connoisseur by any means so I might be quite happy with selections 

I too like a Malbec,and have been able to find some that fall under the plus package. Also, if you like SA reds, ask if they have a Carmenere. These tend to a lower price point just because not everyone knows about them yet. We enjoyed the two that were available on Enchanted. 

We will be on Emerald next month, I’d love f you could report on your wine impressions. Have a great cruise!

On 10/6/2024 at 9:24 AM, margeecruiser said:

I'm concerned about the quality of the wine choices in the Plus package.  Can I buy better/more expensive wine and pay the difference?

Yes.  On the Emerald last April I didn't like the Plus wines at all and always ordered the Premium.  Price difference was about $2 a glass so my upcharge for a 15 day cruise was about $50.  It was well worth the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2024 at 8:27 AM, margeecruiser said:

Vines will be our gang's hangout before dinner.  Can we buy a bottle there and take to dinner in the main dining room?

Yes you can, but why buy a bottle when you have a package. I would just pay the difference per glass if you want a better wine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

Yes you can, but why buy a bottle when you have a package. I would just pay the difference per glass if you want a better wine.

Some folks will want to buy wine by the bottle because the overall selection of wines by the bottle is far greater than the selection of wines by the glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2024 at 12:46 AM, Fa-Li said:

I too like a Malbec,and have been able to find some that fall under the plus package. Also, if you like SA reds, ask if they have a Carmenere. These tend to a lower price point just because not everyone knows about them yet. We enjoyed the two that were available on Enchanted. 

We will be on Emerald next month, I’d love f you could report on your wine impressions. Have a great cruise!

We were on Regal in August. Did not see a Carmenere. We had the premium package but we would definitely have ordered the Carmenere if it was available.

13 hours ago, leck57 said:

In the MDR the bottle selection is huge and most of the really good wines are only available by the bottle not by the glass

1 hour ago, memoak said:

In the MDR the bottle selection is huge and most of the really good wines are only available by the bottle not by the glass

Yep, that's a fair point. I'm just not sure that I'd pay the price they charge for bottled wine over the by the glass upcharge from Plus to Premier. 

We've sailed on Sky several times and as a wine drinker really enjoyed Vines.  We are sailing on Enchanted in February and see that there is no Vines.  Looks like it's O'Malleys Irish Pub in the space. Does anyone know if this cuts down on the selection of wines by the glass as Vines had a pretty good selection. 

Just as an aside...we were on Celebrity in August and the wines in their "basic" beverage package were dreadful. Definitely lower quality than Princess "basic". Fortunately, they handle the "upcharge" just like Princess.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leck57 said:

Yep, that's a fair point. I'm just not sure that I'd pay the price they charge for bottled wine over the by the glass upcharge from Plus to Premier. 

The point is that there is a very limited menu for wines by the glass. For dinner we don’t mind paying $50-$70 for a bottle that lasts us 2 dinners 

On 10/6/2024 at 9:24 AM, margeecruiser said:

Yes. And you will want to. The cab, chardonnay, rose, red blend are, how you say? BAD.

• Haha 1

They have several high end reds that are excellent and available per glass at reasonable prices.  Approx $28-30 per glass and if you have either plus or premier you are only paying the difference.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mrgoodbar said:

They have several high end reds that are excellent and available per glass at reasonable prices.  Approx $28-30 per glass and if you have either plus or premier you are only paying the difference.

The difference plus 18% of the difference   The wines you mention are not on any Vines menu I have seen. I will still go with a bottle at dinner with the 25% discount with tons of good options 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 3:09 AM, Mrgoodbar said:

WOW. $28-30 per GLASS is reasonable???????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1