Europe airports - River Cruising

MX5ZmZm

Hello:

We are considering a River cruise to Europe within the next couple of years. My biggest concern is traveling to countries where English is not the first language spoken. We are not experienced travellers and in our late 60’s.

What is your experience navigating foreign airports and getting to and from the River Cruise embarkation and debarking ports? 

We've been through Amsterdam, Budapest and Prague airports on our cruises, as well as many train stations along the Rhine River. English is well displayed, and navigating the airports is quite easy. My suggestion is to go to YouTube and do some airport walkthroughs (once you have an idea as to which one you will fly into or out of). They are good at showing you what to look for. 

When you go to Europe, you go through Passport control when you land. It's something like customs, except they don't ask if you have anything to declare. If you have one of the new Canadian passports, you should be able to scan it through the machines and skip the line up of actually speaking to someone....really nice if you are transporting through Schiphol, which can be a lengthy process.  If you have a connecting flight, you go through that, then catch your next flight, collect your bags and walk past customs. Most that we've seen, you only go over if you have something to declare, otherwise you just walk out the doors.

If you are travelling to Europe in 2025, you will need an EISA, which is like a Visa. It's going to cost about 7-9 Euros. They haven't announced when it rolls out, so you may want to keep an eye on it with your TA.

Returning is basically the same as arriving, check your bags (be really careful if you wish to use carryon, as the European airlines are getting strict) and go through passport control. 

They are also implementing a new system this year for Europe. They will either scan your passport and take a photo of you (like they do if you go through customs in Mtl.), or possibly take your fingerprints. This is a one time thing, so you will do it on entering, but leaving will be easier.

Read the stickies on the top of the main page as there's lots of good information there, and find a TA who deals with river cruises. They are a lot different from ocean cruises, so it's nice to have someone that can help you find a line that suits you and your budget, and can explain what to expect. Not pushing Avalon, but they have a page on their site with certified Avalon TA's, who have done extra training with them. However, they probably will also have experience with other lines, so it's an easy way to find someone if you don't already have one. 

• Like 1

Many Europeans, especially those working in tourism, will speak some English.  Never had an issue travelling throughout Europe but I do have some French and my son some Spanish.

Catherine

• Like 1

English is the official language of the EU, so you will find signs in English as well as the language of that country. I've flown through Amsterdam, Budapest, Basel, Bucharest, and Munich, and have always been able to find an English speaker when I needed assistance. 

I'd suggest booking your flights and hotel through the cruise line. A cruise line rep will meet you at the airport and dispatch you to the hotel. Sometimes it pays to have a helping hand, especially the first time. 

My experience with European airports has been good, with the exception of transferring at DeGaulle. Originating and arriving there was okay. 

Signage is generally clear and easy to understand and many/most of the people working in the airports speak English. 
I recommend you have the address typed out if you are going to catch a taxi or use mass transit to get to your ship or hotel. 

• Like 1

What the others say. I (for my sins) speak only English and never had any difficulty. Whatever the national language airports will also be in English, surprisingly often larger and on top of the national language on signs.

If you book your air travel through the cruise line most (all??) will have a rep at the airport arrivals and will get you to your boat. This may be by coach accompanied by a rep is there's a lot of people for that cruise on the flight, if it's just you two, or 2 couples it may be by a taxi, but you'll be taken to it and the driver will load your cases. 

I've not been to any country where entry formalities isn't in two parts. First show your passport to officer or use a passport reading machine, the collect your bags from a carousel then look for the exit. You may not even notice a customs officer. Or take the Green exit, again you may not even see a customs officer (the other is Red which mean you are carrying something to declare to a customs officer.)

Only additional details are

-  if you're flying to a place that doesn't have a flight from your Canadian airport, you'll land at a hub. If its in the EU an airport such as Amsterdam or Frankfurt. You do the passport business there, your bags should be check through to your final destination so follow the signs to the gate - your bags will be transferred to the new plane - and you'll have a boarding card for the new flight when you got one for your first flight. The second flight will be an internal one, so there just the bags to collect.

- if you're doing a Rhine trip starting in Basel note that Basel airport has two exits - one into France, the other to Switzerland. You need the Swiss exit look for the sign and recognise the Swiss flag

image.png.3ca0e842b36ec5795de972c15af44aff.png

For the return if you have booked a flight with the cruise line they'll get you to the airport on time and a rep should take you to the check in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MX5ZmZm said:

Thank you all for responding. I am less anxious about going on a river cruise. Now the research begins 😀

Have fun! As the others have said, it's surprisingly not difficult. And once you do it a few times it becomes a walk in the park.

Chris had a Mazda 3-series back in the 90s when we were in school. It was a great car and we had lots of fun  "zoom zoom" -ing all over the place in it. Lots of fun road trips! Do you still have a Miata, or is your CC name based on a former car?

The only areas of the globe that I personally have had issues not finding English is in China, Japan, and some other countries in this region.  BUT, in the airports, there is always English and especially English signage.  

The one thing that I have learned as we disembark a plane in a foreign country is follow the flow of people as they are all typically heading for either the connection area or baggage claim.  As you are following the flow, you can adjust to the signage and find your way.

I find that today, anywhere in the world, you can find you way if you just step aside from the crowd, take in your surroundings, get familiar with the signs, the icons used, etc.

The other thing that has been a life saver for me is the translation Apps that you can have now on your phone.  You speak in English and it translates to Mandarin (or Spanish, Italian, etc.) and when they speak back it translates to English.

There are earbuds now available that do live translation.  So, if you are in China, and you are standing anywhere where there is conversation, you will have a live translation of the conversation.

• Like 1

Pretty much anyplace you go that is not off the beaten track will speak English.  If you get off of the beaten track, try Google Translate.  One "pro tip," if you are staying in a hotel in a foreign country, take a card from the front desk that has the name and address of the hotel.  If you are lost and want to get back, just get in a taxi and show it to the driver (or use "Maps").  When you get to the airport and head towards immigration, just follow the signs with the Canadian flags.  Since you are already on CC, you are already winning!  Have a great trip!

Edited by JordanF
  • Like 1

When you come home, note the Europeans airports list flights on their departure boards in order of the scheduled time of departure using the 24 hour clock. If you are unfamiliar with this, for anytime between 1pm and midnight just add 12, e.g. 1pm is 13:00 (1 +12), 7pm is 19:00 (7+12).

So, if your flight departs Europe at 8.15pm, it will be listed as departing 20:15 (8+12)