Alaska Itinerary Advice

Sigurd24

Hello,

I have a question as a first (and, perhaps last) time cruiser to Alaska.  It will be my wife and I planning to go next August/September

I have narrowed our trip to two cruise ships with two different itineraries and would like some advice.

1. Holland America Noordam sailing September 14 - 28, 2025 (14 Nights). Itinerary is: Vancouver, At Sea, Sitka, At Sea, Anchorage, Kodiak, Valdez, At Sea, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Prince Rupert, Sailing the Inside Passage, Vancouver.  We are looking at a Signature Suite.

2. Cunard Queen Elizabeth sailing August 28 - September 8, 2025 (11 Nights). Itinerary is: Seattle, At Sea, Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Haines, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, At Sea, Victoria, Seattle. We are looking at the Queen Suite.

Most interested in glaciers (Glacier Bay for sure), scenery and wildlife, particularly want to see Whales and Bears up close!

I know it's pretty late in the season, so any comments relative to timing? We need to sail in August and/or September.

I noticed that relatively fewer ships visit Anchorage, Kodiak and Valdez.  Are these worth adding these ports to our itinerary?

I hope I've posted this in the right spot!  Thanks for your help!

A Queen Suite on the beautiful QE sounds heavenly to me.  Ship alone - I'd pick QE over Noordam in a heartbeat.  Plus, cruises that hit both wonderful Glacier Bay and the amazing Hubbard Glacier are tops in my book.  Dates are also key.  The later you get into September, the more likely you are to have nasty weather, so QE's dates are better.

Ref your questions about Anchorage, Kodiak, and Valdez, HAL doesn't actually sail into Anchorage. I'm pretty sure it's Whittier, which is over an hour drive away.  Not a huge deal though because frankly, Anchorage isn't that nice and the Whittier area is far more scenic, IMO. 

I go to Kodiak several times a year for work.  I think it kinda sucks as a cruise port.  It's the type of place that is perfect for adventure seekers and hunters.  Unless you plan to hire a private guide to get out and see the interior, I don't recommend going.  Kodiak, however, is where I have seen the most brown bears....and they are massive.  

I love Valdez.  The place is beautiful, and the dock is much nicer than the container dock in Kodiak.  But again, it's a tiny town and to truly experience it, I recommend a private guide.  It's another excellent port for brown bears.  

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@Aquahound, HAL has sailed into Anchorage on the 14 day (not two 7 day B2Bs) routes in the past...it did when we did the 14 day route. And it stops at Whittier as well. But maybe they are now subbing Valdez for Whittier. 

I have memory of that too, but was it a Vista Class ship? I seem to remember it was HAL's smaller ships that pre-dated Vista Class that went in there.  It's quite a lengthy sail to get to Anchorage.  

Edited by Aquahound

@Aquahound, did some research. The OP is looking at 2 7 day cruises B2B. You are correct, the cruises don't stop in Anchorage...they stop in Whittier.

Definitely not the same as the true 14 day (not 7 day B2b). And the true 14 day routes no longer stop in Anchorage, as they used to.  Yes, our 14 day was on Rotterdam, and Anchorage was an interesting stop.

Do you think Noordam or bigger ships can't make it into Anchorage?

Although the Holland trip is a bit late in the season for cruising Alaska the itinerary is very nice so we’d choose that one. We had a wonderful trip on Cunard many years ago but it was a bit too dressy for us.

If you’re looking at the Sept 14 sailing on the Noordam (Great Alaska Explorer) from Vancouver it does appear it actually has a port stop in Anchorage and doesn’t stop in Whittier.

This summer we were on Westerdam. If tenders are an issue we tendered at Sitka, Kodiak, and Valdez. It may have been as a result of the luck of the draw but we didn't find that out until boarding the ship. fyi we had great time in all three ports. 

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

@Aquahound, did some research. The OP is looking at 2 7 day cruises B2B. You are correct, the cruises don't stop in Anchorage...they stop in Whittier.

Definitely not the same as the true 14 day (not 7 day B2b). And the true 14 day routes no longer stop in Anchorage, as they used to.  Yes, our 14 day was on Rotterdam, and Anchorage was an interesting stop.

No, it is not a B2B.  It is the Great Alaskan Explorer Cruise leaving out of Vancouver September 14, 2025 on the Noordam.  

The stop in Anchorage is in Anchorage.  It is an industrial port that one has to take a shuttle to/from the Egan Convention Center.

42 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

No, it is not a B2B.  It is the Great Alaskan Explorer Cruise leaving out of Vancouver September 14, 2025 on the Noordam.  

The stop in Anchorage is in Anchorage.  It is an industrial port that one has to take a shuttle to/from the Egan Convention Center.

Yep...you are correct. I was looking at N. Amsterdam. Back to my original statement...I would take that cruise in a heartbeat, because the one that we took...similar, but not exactly the same, was awesome.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Anchorage has to dredge every year.  That, and distance are 2 reasons Anchorage is rarely visited by larger ships (larger meaning bigger than American Cruise Line, etc).  That said, I looked up the Op's cruise on HAL's site and sure enough, it does show as sailing into Anchorage.  I found several HAL cruises that listed Anchorage but actually docked in Whittier, but that 14 nighter, sure enough, does show as going into Anchorage. 

My apologies for posting false info.  

I am booked on the HAL cruise the OP is considering. Before I booked I had my TA check. The Noordam will dock in Anchorage at the industrial dock. 

Not really worried about the weather, have learned to prepare for anything when traveling to Alaska!

The more I think about it - I would choose Cunard in a heart beat for this trip. I much prefer the dates. No guarantees on weather but I have been in Alaska when the weather has been horrible and it was not pleasant. That week - we could not see a thing. You increase the changes of having bad weather the farther into September you go. There have been plenty of reports of ships being stuck in port due to high winds and horrible weather towards the end of September. Also with HAL - with the dates so late, there may be excursions that will not be operating as several of them will have ended their season before that sailing is over.

Cunard has the best naturalist at sea in my opinion. Rachel Cartwright. 

The itinerary is actually pretty good with Cunard. You also get 2 glacier days.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question! Your responses have helped a lot!

I am leaning toward the Cunard cruise because it does both Glacier Bay and Hubbard, but primarily because of the dates.

We really want to see Whales (and Bears) and from what I can gather, the odds of a Whale encounter drop significantly after mid-September.  Also, late August to Early September have a chance of better weather.

One additional question. Queen Grill Staterooms are available mid-ship or aft.  Does anyone have any preferences between the two areas? It appears I would have to pay slightly more for a midship cabin.  Has anyone stayed in either areas?  A larger balcony would be a big plus!😊

Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated!! 

Thanks again to all who replied!

6 hours ago, Sigurd24 said:

mid-ship or aft

mid ship is usually more expensive as it is seen as a prime location - less ship movement felt.  But I can’t speak to Cunard ships, only having been on one and an inside cabin!

12 hours ago, Sigurd24 said:

One additional question. Queen Grill Staterooms are available mid-ship or aft.  Does anyone have any preferences between the two areas? It appears I would have to pay slightly more for a midship cabin.  Has anyone stayed in either areas?  A larger balcony would be a big plus!😊

If you can snag one of those Queen Suites aft that wrap around the corner, do it and do it now!  Those are prime cabins, especially for Alaska.  

1 hour ago, Sigurd24 said:

Unfortunately, the wrap around corner suites are all booked.

Are the regular Aft Suites also desirable? 

Thanks!

Absolutely...as long as they face aft.  I've stayed in a few aft-facing suites, and they were wonderful.  The sound of the prop wash, along with the views were amazing.  Unless mobility is a concern, which would benefit from a mid-ship suite, definitely go aft.  However, if the suites are aft, but face port or starboard, then I would recommend mid-ship.