Wonderful food not to miss on RCCL?

All the food on Mariner was very good as compared to 2 years ago on Explorer which was not as good. The escargot is a family favorite with the kids, ages 9 and 11. If you find something you love love love and want to have more of it, tell the waiter and ask if you can have it daily. Just be careful-we did this with escargot and on the third day the kids turned green looking at them.

Jeffkoz, I love the oatmeal too (didn't really like oatmeal before I tasted theirs) It is Diamond Crystal Old Fashioned Oats and they get it from SYSCO. Unfortunately, Diamond Crystal does not sell to the public and the SYSCO in my area does not have access to it (they don't sell to the public either but I had a connection). You might be able to get some in Florida (probably would have to buy 500 pounds!:D) I did manage to get my hands on some Ranger cookie dough tho. I was devastated when I found out they bought the cookie dough! I plan to verify this in a few weeks.

First time on this cruise line...leaving in about 2 weeks...any not to be missed items from a food stand-point on board?

If you are on a Voyager-class ship, then at Cafe Promenade I had the best shrimp and egg salad sandwich ever. They had other sandwiches and cookies that were yummy, too, but that one sandwich sticks out the most in my mind. Mmmmmm......:D

Theresa

My MIL tried escargot for the first time in the mid 90s on the Song of Norway. Now every time we go on a cruise, she tells us to have some for her, too. So, we always order 3.

Also, any of the cold soups.

Creme Brulee.

The vanilla ice cream is also very good.

IMO:

Hands down Portofinos. It was just a "classier" experience. Chops had GREAT steak, but to me it tasted like the Filet in the dining room. Amazing, but I can already get that in the Dining room. Everything in Portofinos is amazing :)

If you are sailing on the Jewel you have to try the crepes in the Solarium Pool. Yummmmmy!!!!

LOL - but aren't the crepes soggy after being in the pool?:D

I'll be on Grandeur in 4 weeks, and I look forward to trying some of these dishes. Thanks for passing them along!

When they come with the bread tray at dinner ask if they have "Savory Bites". These are delicious little crusty rolls. A change from your standard dinner roll. Actually ALL of the breads and rolls offered on the ships are one of the best food items offered, IMO. The savory bites are just extra special.

omg..I forgot about the lobster bisque...it is extraordinary...now my mouth is watering and I still have 15 days to go....

does it have aniseseed in it? to me there is nothing worse than sitting down to a bowl of lobster bisque and discovering it tastes like liquorice...

Escargot

Chocolate souflee

I actually think the lobster tail is quite good

White-chocolate covered, rum-dipped strawberries

Cheesecake

And oh yes, i have to agree with the concensus: Love the flourless cake.

If your ship should have a Johnny Rockets, love the onion rings, love the apple pie.

Remember this is my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.

Regular Dining Room: Pesto Crusted Cod. FABULOUS!

Chops: Shrimp Cocktail. I know, it sounds so lame. Forget it, it's not.

Portofino: Goat Cheese Souffle

Unfortunately, the flourless chocolate cake is no longer on the dessert menu. On lobster night you are brought a chocolate "taster" dessert which has one small bite of that cake. What a bummer! It has been this way for the past year and a half, at least on the different ships we've been on which include Navigator, Vision, Brillance and Jewel. I think on my May Radiance cruise, I will try asking for either several small portions or a single larger portion. I don't care about the other tidbits offered on the "taster" plate.

I haven't had the oatmeal in the Windjammer yet (we aren't on our cruise until Sept). But I've had great oatmeal in Cancun and Scotland. You need Scotish oatmeal...it's ground much finer than ours...you can get it in gourmet food stores. You soak the raw oatmeal in water overnight and then cook it in milk, not water. It is so good!!

Archived