Playa Uvas

rscima

Now, my question is about snorkeling. I've never done it. Tried in Grand Turk and my fins kept coming off so I just gave up. My problem is I'm not really a swimmer. DD loves to snorkel and she doesn't swim any better than I. I'm just a little worried. I'll be okay with a vest on.

I'm not terribly afraid of the water, exactly, but the idea of not being able to stop and stand up during 45-60 minutes of snorkeling sounds like it might be a bit much for me. I just want to float along looking down. No diving!

If I get too tired, or scared, or just don't like it, will I be able to just stop and return to the beach? The snorkeling is from shore, correct?

You won't have a problem. They were very good about helping new snorkelers on our tour. One woman held onto the guides buoy and he pulled her the whole way. Another man changed his mind about wanting to snorkel, so they used the boat to get him back to shore.

You are very close to the shore at all time and the current helps push you along to the end. You don't need to dive in order to see fish.

I'll see if I can upload a photo from our snorkel adventure. It's of a stingray hiding in the sand just below the rock. Hope you can spot it.

Enjoy!

Jane

StingrayCozumel-12.jpg.576dd200226b07a225df9412b6a1ce85.jpg

Quote from poster a few posts up

**Does anyone know if we snorkel on our own do we HAVE to wear the vests? We have our own snorkel equipment. Thanks!

When we were there last week we did not wear any vests. We paid for no snorkeling tours. We just put on our stuff, got in the water and started snorkeling.

The snorkeling was fine.

I read these posts very carefully before deciding what to do in Coz. I would not recommend going to this beach "resort" unless you don't mind having group after group of either clear kayak groups or snorkeling groups come through the very small bit of beach. All day long big groups would come, dump their stuff on the plastic chairs, get their snorkeling equipment on, march down to the end of the beach area, jump in and then swim back to the beach, wobble up the sand bag steps, get their stuff from the plastic chairs etc. I listened to many many speeches by the guides regarding the proper way of putting on snorkeling gear, getting in a boat and so on. I had just wanted a quiet beach, so it was not for me. Just a heads up for some others.

We paid $7 pp to enter the beach area. $5 for the use of the umbrella. We got a drink each for that money. The cab fare was $10 each way (for the car, not person). We bought a very small basket of chips with salsa for $4.

Last time in Coz we went to the adjacent park, Chanakanab. We loved it there. I wish we had gone back there instead of being at this place. It felt like Grand Central Station. These are my impressions. YMMV

**Does anyone know if we snorkel on our own do we HAVE to wear the vests? We have our own snorkel equipment. Thanks!

When we were there last week we did not wear any vests. We paid for no snorkeling tours. We just put on our stuff, got in the water and started snorkeling.

The snorkeling was fine.

I read these posts very carefully before deciding what to do in Coz. I would not recommend going to this beach "resort" unless you don't mind having group after group of either clear kayak groups or snorkeling groups come through the very small bit of beach. All day long big groups would come, dump their stuff on the plastic chairs, get their snorkeling equipment on, march down to the end of the beach area, jump in and then swim back to the beach, wobble up the sand bag steps, get their stuff from the plastic chairs etc. I listened to many many speeches by the guides regarding the proper way of putting on snorkeling gear, getting in a boat and so on. I had just wanted a quiet beach, so it was not for me. Just a heads up for some others.

We paid $7 pp to enter the beach area. $5 for the use of the umbrella. We got a drink each for that money. The cab fare was $10 each way (for the car, not person). We bought a very small basket of chips with salsa for $4.

Last time in Coz we went to the adjacent park, Chanakanab. We loved it there. I wish we had gone back there instead of being at this place. It felt like Grand Central Station. These are my impressions. YMMV

I was starting to have second thoughts about going here even before I read your post. I have it booked with Eduardo (very pleasant to deal with) but no $ down. We went to Chankanaab in '99 and enjoyed it...was thinking of trying something new this time around. I know what you mean about dropping stuff off and just using the space...I do not care for that. I want a quiet beach also but with good snorkeling for DH and DS...thought this may be it but now re-looking at Chankanaab. Thanks for all you info. I may more ?'s in the future for you if you don't mind.

The snorkeling was fine.

I don't think that will be a problem for me. There will only be 3 ships in port on the day I'm going to Uvas and they are all 3 small ships. I can see how that could be a problem if 8 or 9 ships were in port that day.

The snorkeling was fine.

We have been to Chankanaab a few times, always loved our day, and indeed, it is a wonderfully quiet beach. And it's spread out enough to accomodate crowds. I really wanted to try a different beach this coming July and I thought Uvas would be it. Sounds like it's too small to accomodate crowds. I will have to check to see how many ships are in port. Many of the "all-inclusive" beaches have motorized water sports and I'm not interested in listening to motors all day long. It may be back to Chankanaab for us :)

When we were there, 3 ships were in port, 2 Carnival and the small Regent SS Navigator. It was still too busy for me, but others might find it entertaining.

I just wanted to give my honest opinion of the beach. Yes it was much less and included the drink, but I would rather had paid the additional 20 bucks for the quiet park. Same reef to snorkel, so it's pretty much the same fish.

A few good points made by a couple previous posters...if you are looking for a quiet, private, pristine white sandy beach this is not the place. We LOVED it, but we went on a recommendation for the snorkeling, which is what our interest was. The beach itself is very coarse sand and the shore is rocky, you have to walk on sandbags to get out into the water. There were workers actually shoveling and raking and working on the beach when we were there so I think they are trying to make some improvements. And, guilty as charged, we were a small group who dumped our stuff on the plastic chairs! LOL! But we were told to by our guide. I can see how that and the snorkeling/kayak instruction and all the tromping around on the beach by the snorkelers and kayakers can be intrusive to those trying to have a quiet beach day. But, the clear kayak experience was insane, so totally cool, you could look down into your kayak and see all the fish and purple fan coral and everything else. And the snorkeling was great too, try to find the sunken wagon wheel and nursery caves when you're there if the guide doesn't show them to you. And look for my diamond earring that I lost when I was there too, please! :eek: LOL! My own fault, shoulda taken them off :(

Have fun!

we were there last week 2/20. only 3 small groups came to go kayaking/snorkelling. no motor boats. very small beach though (maybe 50 yards wide and 20 feet deep). it was large enough for the amount of people there though. we paid $15 each for 2 drinks, snorkel equipment, lounge chair. shore is not that rocky, more like large flat boulders (they were slippery ). you walk into the water on sandbags (worked out fine). i was not impressed with the snorkelling. we did see fish (in chest high water) , perfect for beginners. walk down the beack, into the water, and drift back to the lounge chair. everyone had fun and we'd go back.

don't buy any "cuban" cigars, i did and son after saw the same ones in town labelled "mexican cubans" for half he price. food wasn't included but was pretty good and not too expensive. pool was nice. 2 nice hammocks (nobody was on them). there were 4 ships in port that day. cab far was $10 for up to 4. van was $22 for up to 10 (i think). i heard the masages were good. water was real salty (easy to float) so we didn't use our vests. i think you could pay $7 and get a lounge and 1 drink and use your own equipment (i think, there didn't seem to be anyone who cared, no lifeguards). have fun !

Many of the "all-inclusive" beaches have motorized water sports and I'm not interested in listening to motors all day long. It may be back to Chankanaab for us :)

nothing motorized at Uvas, it was very quiet and peaceful actually, but others may not have likes listening to our kayak and snorkel instruction, but that was only a few mins.

We are still planning to go there on our cruise in 2 weeks. After going back and forth about Uvas vs. Nachi Cocum vs. Wyndham, we settled on Uvas. Mostly because the people there just sound so nice and like they will really make your day there special, but also because we will be with my grandma, who wouldn't really take advantage of an all-inclusive (she doesn't drink), nor does she swim/snorkel, so it was nice to only have to reserve the entrance fee ($7) for her. We'll pay for her lunch a la carte, and still come out way ahead.

I will be sure to report back and take lots of pictures when I'm there.

This is the tail end pic of one of our water cameras so you can see the end of the film but I figured I would post it so you can see what I mean by rocky shore. It was still very nice, we enjoyed it a lot, as I say we were going for the snorkeling and clean kayaks, but I would have been disappointed if I had been expecting a white pristine beach.

This is the area just to right of the sand bags as you are facing the very clear, warm blue) water, and those are our clear kayak waiting there in the water:

WadingPlayaUvasCozumelMexico.jpg

Well, I'm still flip-flopping.

I like the sound of Nachi, but it seems there's no snorkeling from the beach. And it's more expensive. But the beach is nicer and no tours coming through.

We're only there from 10-6, so if I'm not looking for a long, relaxing beach day, this is probably the way to go. I know DD is going to want to snorkel at least once, and I think the only other place we might possibly get that in is in Roatan, but we don't have a long day there, either.

I do appreciate all the info. I just have to make a decision. Once I do, I'll be fine. It's getting to that point that makes me nuts!

I'm also flip-flopping (geez, you would think I would figure it out already!) still. But now, instead of Nachi vs Playa Uvas, I'm not going back and forth between Chankanaab and Playa Uvas. I ruled out Nachi, because although I'm sure it's very, very nice and beautiful, there doesn't seem to be snorkeling, and we don't want to go out on a boat and leave my grandmother by herself.

So, I have *almost* talked myself into Chankanaab just because there is more to see and do there and we would at least have the opportunity to do Snuba again if we were so inclined that day, and there is a space for us. (Only 2 large ships in port, so not too worried about that...). Hmmm, what to do...I am slightly swaying towards Chankanaab just because my grandmother is non-swimming and non-drinking, so she will at least get to see the botanical gardens and replica ruins, etc. at Chank. She would pretty much be just confined to a chair at Uvas, I think.

I'm also flip-flopping (geez, you would think I would figure it out already!) still. But now, instead of Nachi vs Playa Uvas, I'm not going back and forth between Chankanaab and Playa Uvas. I ruled out Nachi, because although I'm sure it's very, very nice and beautiful, there doesn't seem to be snorkeling, and we don't want to go out on a boat and leave my grandmother by herself.

So, I have *almost* talked myself into Chankanaab just because there is more to see and do there and we would at least have the opportunity to do Snuba again if we were so inclined that day, and there is a space for us. (Only 2 large ships in port, so not too worried about that...). Hmmm, what to do...I am slightly swaying towards Chankanaab just because my grandmother is non-swimming and non-drinking, so she will at least get to see the botanical gardens and replica ruins, etc. at Chank. She would pretty much be just confined to a chair at Uvas, I think.

As you know we are also still trying to decide. If I were you and with your grand-mother being with you...I would chose Chankanaab. Much more for her to see and do. She can just sit and watch people swim with the dolphins too. We were in Chankanaab back in 19999 and wanted to try something new but may end up back there after all...You cannot go wrong with Chankanaab. Let me know what you decide :p

FWIW, the 5 non-swimming, non-drinking senior citizens with us really enjoyed Playa Uvas -- especially the ocean-side massages. We weren't inundated with tour groups at all. We were sitting on the beach up near the food area and barely noticed the 2 groups that came through early in the day.

I'm sure you will enjoy your day, no matter what you decide.

Jane

Having been to Chankanaab a few times I would say it would be the best place to bring Grandmom. Last cruise we had MIL along and would have definitely taken her to Chank (if our ports hadn't changed :(). Besides laying on the beach she could enjoy the gardens and ruins, she could watch the dolphin swim from shore (there are many lizards to see in that area sunning themselves on rocks), she could browse in the shops, there's a show there to see (used to be a parrot/bird show--there is a charge), and there's a longer beach there to stroll if she'd like. Just set her up under a palapa, the beach waiters will bring her drinks and food, she'll have a great day :)

Thank you all for the info. I think we will definitely be going to Chankanaab now...sounds like it would be great for my grandmother, not to mention the rest of us would be able to do Snuba if we chose.

Thank you all for the info. I think we will definitely be going to Chankanaab now...sounds like it would be great for my grandmother, not to mention the rest of us would be able to do Snuba if we chose.

Very sweet of you to take your Gram into consideration :)

Enjoy your trip!

My wife and I are in our early thirties. We took our 9-year-old son with us on the Carnival Fantasy to Progresso and Cozumel. We booked a day with Playa Uvas over their internet. It was great. No issues. We had to tender as their were 5 other ships in port that day, but once we were in town, we cruised the shops for about an hour then took a cab to Playa Uvas.

The cab driver tried to convince us to go to one of the other beaches. It was obvious that he got kickbacks from taking tourists there. He tried to tell us how much better they would be, but we insisted he take us to Uvas. I'm glad we did.

It was great. The beach and all the facilities were very clean. We were met by name before we could even introduce ourselves!!! I guess no other couples with one child were coming that day, but nonetheless, I was stunned when he greeted each of us by name. Eduardo got us a drink and we got sized for our swim fins while we waited for the clear kayak guide to start his class.

I couldn't see much out of the bottom of the kayak with my son in my lap, but he and my wife said they had a great view of the fish and coral. We saw several small coral structures and caves in the shallow water where the bright tropical fish congregated. We got back to shore and my wife opted for a massage while my son and I snorkeled. That was the highlight of my trip. I was snapping underwater picts of all the cool fish.

Our package included dinner and the chicken fajitas were excellent. I'm glad my son isn't particular about his burgers, because I finished his last few bites and it was a warmed-over frozen patty. Stick to the fajitas! They were great. The margaritas were strong, sweet, and made with quality tequila. I had several as I always have to try to get my money's worth at an open bar.

The other guests were couples -- both older and younger than ourselves. My son was the only child there. the sandy portion of the beach was very small, but sufficient to lay out in the sun. We walked on sandbags placed over the iron rocks leading into the water.

Playa Uvas was smaller than I imagined. The service was first rate, the Mexican food was authentic delicious. The drinks were strong, but not overpowering. The facilities were clean and seemed well maintained. The staff was always polite and attentive, but not overly imposing. Eduardo made sure we were well cared for.

We had a great time, and I would recommend this place as a calm, relaxing place with enough to do for your group to stay occupied.

If you go, say "Hi" to Eduardo from Kevin and his family.

Sandysoldier...so glad to hear/read this about Playa Uvas. We booked thru Eduardo also for our yupcoming cruise stop. He was great to deal with via email too. I was a bit worried because there will be 6 ships in port but what the heck...sounds to good to pass up! Glad you had a nice time~

I'm actually starting to worry about the beach. Some of the people who are going on this cruise with me also booked Uvas. They booked Uvas because I urged them to after reading reviews. I'm thinking that they may expect a white sandy beach to lay on. I don't want them to be dissapointed.