Hobart, Tasmania or Newcastle, Austrailia?

Linda-E

DH and I are looking at two itineraries on the Mercury.

January 20th, Sydney to Auckland, stops in Hobart and Dunedin, NZ.

February 3rd is the reverse itinerary except that it skips Tasmania and stops in Napier, NZ and Newcastle before Sydney.

Both itineraries do Melbourne, cruising the sounds, Willington, Tauranga and Auckland. Januray 20th also cruising the Volcanic White Island.

Which would be the better ports and why?

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Linda,

I would definitely do the Hobart Tasmania itinerary. Hobart has so much history and is a beautiful city. There is loads to see there including Port Arthur, Richmond, the walk amongst the tall trees, wineries etc. Tasmania plays a big part in the history of Australia.

Newcastle is an industrial city and it is close to the Hunter Valley wineries but no way does it compare with Hobart.

Jennie

I agree with Aussie Gal. I'd go for Hobart if that were the choice. If I did find myself in Newcastle for a day I would be seeking out a good tour to the Hunter Valley wineries and tasting some of the best southern hemisphere wines you'll ever drink ;) in the most convivial of surroundings.

While I agree with everyone that Hobart is a great port (especially to go and see the prison), it would still be a tough choice for me.

Reason being that I think Napier, NZ is a fantastic city and always recommend that people put it on the "don't miss" list.

• 2 weeks later...

February 3rd is the reverse itinerary except that it skips Tasmania and stops in Napier, NZ and Newcastle before Sydney.

I have just booked the Mercury Hobart/Dunedin 23rd Dec 07 cruise - so all the replies here are music to my ears....;)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I was pleased to hear your recommendation of Napier as we are doing the Jan 6th cruise Auckland to Aust and I wondered whether it was better to go to Napier or change and do the Volcanic islands.

I was born in Newcastle and it is very different from Hobart. Fortunately they have improved the harbour at Newcastle and it is now very pretty and the beaches are superb. A trip to the wineries is great.

Hobart is very historical and quaint. The Cadbury chocolate factory is good for chocoholics and a trip to Port Arthur is very interesting.

Shame you can't see both. I guess if you came to Australia a few days earlier you could tour from Sydney to Newcastle before your trip. Newcastle is ony 2 hours by car or train from Sydney.

• 6 years later...
I was pleased to hear your recommendation of Napier as we are doing the Jan 6th cruise Auckland to Aust and I wondered whether it was better to go to Napier or change and do the Volcanic islands.

I was born in Newcastle and it is very different from Hobart. Fortunately they have improved the harbour at Newcastle and it is now very pretty and the beaches are superb. A trip to the wineries is great.

Hobart is very historical and quaint. The Cadbury chocolate factory is good for chocoholics and a trip to Port Arthur is very interesting.

Shame you can't see both. I guess if you came to Australia a few days earlier you could tour from Sydney to Newcastle before your trip. Newcastle is ony 2 hours by car or train from Sydney.

Hi Aussie 52

We will be visiting Newcastle and since you were born there I am wondering if you can direct us to something we can do on our own. We like alot of things, the only thing off limits is the wine tour, we don't drink wine:eek:

Hi Aussie 52

We will be visiting Newcastle and since you were born there I am wondering if you can direct us to something we can do on our own. We like alot of things, the only thing off limits is the wine tour, we don't drink wine:eek:

G'day CRUSINGFAMILY,

May I suggest a visit to Nelson Bay on the southern shores of Port Stephens which is about 55 klm's from Newcastle. There are morning and afternoon boat trips to see the 100+ resident Dolphins in the bay. From May to October there are also trips to view the passing Whale migration, mainly humpbacks. There is a walk up the southern headland, Mt Tomaree, to get a great view of the bay and out to sea. Other activities include trips onto the Stockton Bight sand dunes for Camel rides, 4WD tours, quad bike rides and sand boarding. There are many fine beaches, some on the ocean side for surf or inside the bay in still water. There are many tourist operators in the area (google is your friend). Public transport is available by bus from Newcastle every hour during daytime.

G'day CRUSINGFAMILY,

May I suggest a visit to Nelson Bay on the southern shores of Port Stephens which is about 55 klm's from Newcastle. There are morning and afternoon boat trips to see the 100+ resident Dolphins in the bay. From May to October there are also trips to view the passing Whale migration, mainly humpbacks. There is a walk up the southern headland, Mt Tomaree, to get a great view of the bay and out to sea. Other activities include trips onto the Stockton Bight sand dunes for Camel rides, 4WD tours, quad bike rides and sand boarding. There are many fine beaches, some on the ocean side for surf or inside the bay in still water. There are many tourist operators in the area (google is your friend). Public transport is available by bus from Newcastle every hour during daytime.

There is also Oakvale Farm with a opportunity to get up close to Australian Fauna including Koala's and Kangaroo's. Another option is a helichoper flight from Nelson Bay over the local attractions.

G'day CRUSINGFAMILY,

How would you best recommend our getting to Port Stephens? A rental car? I appreciate your suggestions as I have been googling for many hours and coming up short in Newcastle.

Thanks again!

G'day CRUSINGFAMILY,

How would you best recommend our getting to Port Stephens? A rental car? I appreciate your suggestions as I have been googling for many hours and coming up short in Newcastle.

Thanks again!

There should be a shuttle service into Newcastle CBD from the cruise terminal. From there you can take the Post Stephens coach to Nelson Bay. The bus terminal is on the northern side of the train station.

All the normal car rental companies have offices in Newcastle, just google for locations. You will require a taxi ride from the ship terminal to a car rental office. I think Europcar are the closest at Wickham. Taxi fare about $10. Alternatively, they all have service desks at the airport, were the Post Stephens coaches have a bus stop, and you can pick up a rental car. If you use a taxi to the airport it would cost about $50. Bus would be about $6.

When you consider the choice; well at first it is clearly a winner for Hobart. But it made me remember when we had a Canadian exchange teacher working at our school in southern Sydney a few years ago. She and her husband would go off travelling nearly every weekend and when she announced one Friday that they were off to Newcastle for the weekend, we all thought, oh well, there are plenty of other weekends!

Monday morning, she stunned us with her enthusiasm. Absolutely had the best time; the place was fantastic. We all said (when we had ascertained that we were not mishearing her) well, we only ever drive past the place on the expressway when heading further north. I cannot recall exactly what they actually did in the region, and I do seem to remember talk of the Hunter vineyards, and Stockland beach. But they truly had the best couple of days there.

Its all very true , but you cant do all that when you only have a limited time , within 1 day , to visit and experience all those places.

If you really want to visit Newcastle have a post cruise stay in Sydney, rent a car and drive down , or just take a bus.

A day tour from Sydney on an organised tour to the Hunter Valley is a great day out.....you can taste all the wine you like and you dont have to worry about driving back.

Its all very true , but you cant do all that when you only have a limited time , within 1 day , to visit and experience all those places.

If you really want to visit Newcastle have a post cruise stay in Sydney, rent a car and drive down , or just take a bus.

A day tour from Sydney on an organised tour to the Hunter Valley is a great day out.....you can taste all the wine you like and you dont have to worry about driving back.

I suggest that you don't drive down from Sydney, you will end up in Wollongong. Cheers. icon12.gif

Thanks to all who have been trying to help me with Newcastle. I am thinking renting a car and taking in Port Stephens and Stockton Beach is the way to go. Any thoughts on whether both are possible for a port time of 10am - 7 pm?

Travel time from Newcastle to Nelson Bay is 1 hour, tops. Still leaves plenty of time for your activities.:)

Both itineraries do Melbourne, cruising the sounds, Willington, Tauranga and Auckland. Januray 20th also cruising the Volcanic White Island.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

The cruise we did this month did all of the above except for Newcastle (HAL Oosterdam). Loved Hobart and we were in Napier during their Art Deco Festival. Dunedin was very special as well. We too cruised the smoking White Island. I could picture myself living in Hobart.

The cruise we did this month did all of the above except for Newcastle (HAL Oosterdam). Loved Hobart and we were in Napier during their Art Deco Festival. Dunedin was very special as well. We too cruised the smoking White Island. I could picture myself living in Hobart.

Again, glad you loved your cruise and esp Hobart. We sailed past you (very close) on Rhapsody on your 1st day sailing south out of Sydney as we were on our last day back from Hobart - it was about 11am i think.

Regards, Hugh

Hi Aussie 52

Not sure aussie52 will be replying since he posted what you replied to over 6 years ago.

Archived