GAUCHOS? Are they in or out?

I have very little fashion sense. :D Plus I am usually a year or three out of style.:confused: But I see in the stores now the winter blacks & browns with lots of gauchos on the racks.

Has this style come back in fashion? I don't know what would be considered proper length, but I am seeing them mid calf.

Opinions would be appreciated. If an appropriate fabric, could you wear these to dinner???

I thought they were a horrible re-introduction, until I found myself 5 months pregnant with limited choices in my closet for pants to wear. But it feels like I'm getting bigger every day, so I quite appreciate the room.

If I weren't pregnant, I wouldn't go near them. I generally find them unflattering on others, making objects appear much larger than they probably are!

They can look really dressy and nice as long as you balance the width with a tight top and a heeled shoe. Gauchos are great to camoflage a wide hip but don't look right if you're wide all over.

I cannot wear heals due to bad feet.:( Maybe I need to re-think the gaucho thing. Although I thought they looked rather nice on. I thought they hid my lumps:D and had a nice flow & swing to them.

But I haven't a clue as to what type of shoes I could wear with them since I have to wear flats. No heals at all:eek:

OK maybe this was a bad choice, but they semed so cute.

I have a pair. I didn't go overboard (no pun intended) and get 10 of them, but I do have one pair that I wear out and to work. I've paired them with boots in the fall and winter and have worn them with sandals in the spring. I've got to go to a graduation party this weekend and was planning on wearing them.

Don't know if this answers your question about being in style, but you won't be alone wearing them. I've seen them all over.

Gauchos are probably my least favorite style of pants for all time. Not even the lowest cut of jeans looks as bad as gaucho pants. I still see them in all the stores, interestingly, there will be whole round racks of them on sale, hundreds of each size just sitting there.

We've had a few women wear them to work a few times, I haven't seen them in a long time, though. Those that I've seen make every wearer look like they have an absolutely huge butt and are very unflattering to the lower part of the leg as well. Does not matter what heel height you are wearing.

I don't care how tall and skinny you are, they all look horrid to me and should all be placed in a pile and burned. I think they will make their mark in history, like most trend of the moment cheap clothes do. We'll see them in 10 years being parodied for the stupid things people did in the mid 2000's. Right up there with the leggings in the 90's and the huge shoulder pads of the 80's.

Do yourself a favor and only wear clothes that won't embarrass you in photos 10 years from now.

It's been a long time since I've felt this strongly about a fashion trend/disaster :) :rolleyes: :D

PS, I made my boss, who is usually a bit of a fashion victim, promis me she would not buy a pair of gauchos.

Gauchos are probably my least favorite style of pants for all time. Not even the lowest cut of jeans looks as bad as gaucho pants. I still see them in all the stores, interestingly, there will be whole round racks of them on sale, hundreds of each size just sitting there.

We've had a few women wear them to work a few times, I haven't seen them in a long time, though. Those that I've seen make every wearer look like they have an absolutely huge butt and are very unflattering to the lower part of the leg as well. Does not matter what heel height you are wearing.

I don't care how tall and skinny you are, they all look horrid to me and should all be placed in a pile and burned. I think they will make their mark in history, like most trend of the moment cheap clothes do. We'll see them in 10 years being parodied for the stupid things people did in the mid 2000's. Right up there with the leggings in the 90's and the huge shoulder pads of the 80's.

Do yourself a favor and only wear clothes that won't embarrass you in photos 10 years from now.

It's been a long time since I've felt this strongly about a fashion trend/disaster :) :rolleyes: :D

Gee, change the words "gaucho pants" to "cropped pants" and you'll have described my thoughts exactly!!! :D

I have very little fashion sense. :D Plus I am usually a year or three out of style.:confused: But I see in the stores now the winter blacks & browns with lots of gauchos on the racks.

Has this style come back in fashion? I don't know what would be considered proper length' date=' but I am seeing them mid calf. [/b']

Opinions would be appreciated. If an appropriate fabric, could you wear these to dinner???

Yes, they are in style and yes, in the appropriate fabric they are fine to wear to dinner.

Shoe selection is important. Since you admittedly have no fashion sense, I'd suggest bringing a friend to the store to help coordinate the look. Or, many stores have fashion coordinators/personal shoppers who will help at no charge. NOT a salesperson, many of then they're just as clueless as the unsuspecting customer.

Jane, We all see with our own eyes :) I also think it's kind of funny that I so passionately hate these! I do wear cropped pants!

My "other" most unfavorite look for women is T-shirts that are styled for men, like in souvenir shirts. Most womens bodies are not shaped like rectangles and a mens cut T is just that, rectangular. And....if your body happens to be more shaped like a rectangle (like me!) it does even more damage.

But, I probably did sound a bit rude in my previous post and for that I do apologize. If you love your gauchos, wear them and feel beautiful. Even though I have a true distaste for them, I'll not judge you, just your silly pants.

I cannot wear heals due to bad feet.:( Maybe I need to re-think the gaucho thing. Although I thought they looked rather nice on. I thought they hid my lumps:D and had a nice flow & swing to them.

But I haven't a clue as to what type of shoes I could wear with them since I have to wear flats. No heals at all:eek:

OK maybe this was a bad choice' date=' but they semed so cute.[/b']

I have seen gouchos paired with cute ballet-style flats, or flats with beading. Perhaps you could try that look since flats are best for you.

Have fun,

M.

Thank you all for you comments...they really are helpful.:)

I try to bring someone with me when shopping...as I have been told...by my daughter & 10 yr. old granddaughter....I wear clothes that look like my mother, who was 89 y.o.

Admittedly, I guess I do....but I'm trying:D Hay..I liked the clothes she wore:eek: what can I say.

Time for my 2 cents --

Gaucho pants were awful 25+ years ago and they are awful now. I put them right up there with quianna (a man-made silk-like shiny fabric popular in the late 70s) print shirts with low, low hip hugger jeans and polyester leisure suits!

My mom, who a great eye for fashion and quality, had a suede gaucho skirt/pants/cullottes and a matching bolero length vest. Yuck. It was a bad look. I remember her wearing it with boots. Wasn't her proudest moment and she wound up giving the outfit to one of her wicked stepdaughters!

--Judy

My "other" most unfavorite look for women is T-shirts that are styled for men, like in souvenir shirts. Most womens bodies are not shaped like rectangles and a mens cut T is just that, rectangular. And....if your body happens to be more shaped like a rectangle (like me!) it does even more damage.

TOTALLY agree with you there!

It's one of the reasons I'm "addicted" to Petit Bateau tee's and Amor-Lux tee's. Besides the colors and nice cotton, they fit me like a dream.

But, I probably did sound a bit rude in my previous post and for that I do apologize. If you love your gauchos, wear them and feel beautiful. Even though I have a true distaste for them, I'll not judge you, just your silly pants.

PLEASE....no apology needed! Your post didn't sound rude at all!!! You certainly should feel free to express your opinions here about something in fashion. I mean it's not like you said, "gee, Jane, I bet you look awful in that outfit!" LOL!!! (and even if you did, that's ok too. it's only an imaginary cyber-look)

I just found it funny. Everything you hate about the gaucho's, I hate about cropped pants....and I'm not apologizing for my thoughts! :D

For the record, I never said I was a big fan of gaucho's. I just don't hate them. I have seen them look well on some people - of course, that's my opinion. I own one pair and wore them with boots this winter. I won't be wearing them this summer and will probably wear them again in the fall, again with boots. If I feel out of style with them, I'll chuck 'em. I got them for less than wholesale from a clothing company I did some work for. They weren't an investment.

I think the gauchos are really cute on alot of people, but when I tried on a pair I almost screamed out loud!!! There's just no way, I'm too short and squatty - period!! I'll stick to my nice fitting capris thank you! LOL !!

I LOVE gauchos. I have 5 pairs. I am not tall but I am a slender and a fit size 2. They look great paired with a nice sweater set and sandals. I got many compliments on my last cruise.

Unless the person wearing them works out religously, I would not recommend them. Gauchos are not flattering on wider, out of shape bottoms.

I didn't really care for them at first and then found a pair of black, lined, stretch wool, tailored, pin striped (think men's suit) on sale for $20. I wore them with a pair of Jimmy Choo stiletto boots and a black turtleneck and love them!

I don't know that I'd go out and buy another pair but I certainly got my $20 out of those pair!

Also, by wearing one color gave me a one dimension-ish and appeared to make me look taller and thinner.

Who knows? Maybe I looked like a cow.

I LOVE gauchos. I have 5 pairs. I am not tall but I am a slender and a fit size 2. They look great paired with a nice sweater set and sandals. I got many compliments on my last cruise.

Unless the person wearing them works out religously, I would not recommend them. Gauchos are not flattering on wider, out of shape bottoms.

OMG a size 2!! 1 sit up, 2 sit up, 3 sit up, 4 sit ups,, whew! I'm tired!

I must say I disagree. Working out IS a religion for me - I am in excellent shape, and a size 4/6. My bottom is neither wide nor out-of-shape, and gauchos look horrendous on me. I think they are one of the most unflattering styles to ever be created. I didn't like them the last time they surfaced, and as far as I'm concerned, they can wash back out to sea and stay there. :D

I have some and love them. In winter I wear with boots..high heeled. I wore a pair this week with a wedged sandal. It was also very high. I am a size 6 and have gotten many compliments on them.

Archived