Security Question

mek

We're having a debate over on the Costa board concerning security practices, so I have a question since I haven't been on HA post 9/11. Is a security photo taken at Embarkation on HA ships now?

Thanks

We only had the security pictures on HAL the last couple of cruises this year. On Princess we had pictures taken a few years ago.

HAL security is, however, thorough is some ways -- I traveled with friends in October and one of my friends was detained because she was trying to embark with knitting needles in her bag -- they actually confiscated her knitting before we were allowed to board!

Thanks - I was on Costa in April and no security photos, which was really surprising since every other ship I have been on post 9/11 has taken a photo. One of the posters questioned if all major lines take a photo, which I believe they do - hence the debate and my question on this board. IMO, Costa is way behind the times on this one.

Thanks - I was on Costa in April and no security photos, which was really surprising since every other ship I have been on post 9/11 has taken a photo. One of the posters questioned if all major lines take a photo, which I believe they do - hence the debate and my question on this board. IMO, Costa is way behind the times on this one.

On the NCL cruises we've taken (all post-9/11) a picture is taken. I thought all lines did- kind of scary knowing now that Costa doesn't...

I agree that the security photos began when Zuiderdam joined the fleet but we have had security photos done on ships that (at that point) had not yet gotten her SOE.

When we sailed Volendam last October, they did the usual security photos and she didn't have SOE until after our cruise.

We had photos taken on Maasdam last summer and she just went through her SOE about a month ago?

I agree with Sail, Since we have mostly done the Vista Class we have always had our pictures taken since our first HAL cruise in April 2003 and there has been several. In all honestly I did not realize that some did not do it earlier. There was one cruise and I cannot remember which one that they did not take our picture till we were in the Neptune Lounge but it had something to do with the cameras at embarkation and if you did not have access to the Neptune you had to do it at the Front Desk and were told to have it done before you could get off at the first port.

We only had the security pictures on HAL the last couple of cruises this year. On Princess we had pictures taken a few years ago.

HAL security is, however, thorough is some ways -- I traveled with friends in October and one of my friends was detained because she was trying to embark with knitting needles in her bag -- they actually confiscated her knitting before we were allowed to board!

Thank God...they can pick out the scarry ones'

When I went through the detector at a port of call last month (Cobh,Ir I think) it went off, and I was asked if I had a cell phone and I said "No, it must be my pocket change", they just waved me off, and I did NOT have to go through the detector again. A little disturbing.

Mark...

One of my friends was detained because she was trying to embark with knitting needles in her bag -- they actually confiscated her knitting before we were allowed to board!
Reminds me of the boarding scene in "Airplane."

Wow - scary. Every ship I've been on in recent years has taken my picture.

Of course, probably the most non-secure was Royal Olympic's World Renaissance in 2000. You had a little tag with a number that corresponded to your name that you had to take off of this little board when getting off, and place it back on when you got back on the ship. But that was before 9/11. Things are much more secure now.

Archived