Received our Docs - what do you think about this response from TA...

CateW

We booked our Mediterrean cruise 9 months ago, and received our docs on Friday. When reviewing the docs, I saw that we were waitlisted for late seating so I immediately sent an e-mail to our TA. The response I got was "all I can do is fax a dining request to HAL" and that this was their doing not hers, so today, I just called them myself and it looks to be resolved - they told me that we were #56 and any number under 100 will get the seating/table they requested. I should also point out that when I got the deposit confirmation 9 months ago it didn't confirm late seating and when I questionsed this she told me that all the confirmations say wait list. I think that this response wasn't very service oriented and when a pointed that out, she was somewhat surprised by my response. I am thinking of shopping around for a new TA; This is only the first time that I 've encountered a problem, do you think I am over reacting?

We booked our Mediterrean cruise 9 months ago, and received our docs on Friday. When reviewing the docs, I saw that we were waitlisted for late seating so I immediately sent an e-mail to our TA. The response I got was "all I can do is fax a dining request to HAL" and that this was their doing not hers, so today, I just called them myself and it looks to be resolved - they told me that we were #56 and any number under 100 will get the seating/table they requested. I should also point out that when I got the deposit confirmation 9 months ago it didn't confirm late seating and when I questionsed this she told me that all the confirmations say wait list. I think that this response wasn't very service oriented and when a pointed that out, she was somewhat surprised by my response. I am thinking of shopping around for a new TA; This is only the first time that I 've encountered a problem, do you think I am over reacting?

I do think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Some lines do almost always list the dining preferance as wait listed. Yes, she should have, at least called them for you and should have informed you at the beginning you are wait listed for a certain dining, but this isn't a reason to change TAs if she had served you well in the past. NMnita

Hi CateW!

Don't be too hard on your TA. The lady who has booked all our cruises since 1993 (and has become a very good friend) jumps through hoops to see that our desires are met. And on our last three or four HAL cruises, our dining has been listed as "Wait Listed". We have always gotten the time we were wait listed for. She explained that they all seem to be coming up that way. Don't stress over it. Now that you're only a few weeks out, there are more important things to have fun anticipating!

Have a fun cruise!

Travel Agents are a "dime a dozen". If you want to change go ahead, but if the dinner wait list is the first thing that has happened and you have always had good service just stay put. You never know who you'll get and what they'll do. Have fun on the cruise.

Apparently HAL is waitlisting dining times way before the cruise is fully booked, so as to allow them some wiggle room to move people around.

I think you're overreacting to something that may be out of the TAs control.

Roz

Maybe HAL is waiting to get numbers for larger groups on some cruises, and is waiting to confirm their dining times first?

beth

I think you`ve hit the nail on the head! They seem to be having more and more large groups on cruises now and naturally they will get first pick at dining times. Is it fair?....not in my book but that seems to be the way they are operating now. We usually cruise in an S category, and have never had a problem with getting our preference in dining times..........jean:cool:

Travel Agents are a "dime a dozen". If you want to change go ahead, but if the dinner wait list is the first thing that has happened and you have always had good service just stay put. You never know who you'll get and what they'll do. Have fun on the cruise.
Travel agents are a dime a dozen, but good ones are worth a million!!!!!!

I always check the HAL website immediately before booking with my TA. The website will state which times are available and which are waitlisted. That way I can decide if we want to waitlist the time or if we want to just go with a second choice that is available. I also have the TA ask what is available/waitlisted.

I've booked two HAL cruises now, the first 9 months out, confirmed seating through a TA. This second cruise, booked directly with HAL, 3 staterooms all confirmed seating (booked 13 months out). I see no reason to wait list anyone 9 months out. Mind you, booking out way in advance gives you the advantage of choosing cabins and dining preferences, the only thing is you have to keep up with the promos to take maximum advantage. I have received every promo published on this booking so far even though it's paid in full with not any second thoughts by the HAL reps I've spoken to. I am well pleased with their customer service department :D

I booked last August for June 30 Zaandam....Receipt Confirmed 7:15 PM dining......2 days before sailing - my (booked thru Disney with POINTS) TA got a fax saying we were 'changed' to 8:45 PM w/$25 pp SBC for the 'inconvenience!!!!

I told TA this was not acceptable - but when she called she said HAL would not change.......I called HAL Cust. Service myself and was told a large group had booked and reservd the DR so we could not eat at that time...I was not a 'happy camper' but what could I do?? Accepted the $25 pp SBC (asked for more but no go !) ... this reservation was for my DD & SIL -

At Check in they were upgraded (Cat. C - lg. Outside) to a Verandah suite - maybe the Rep. at HAL felt 'guilty'?? It was a nice surprise.........

By the way - they changed to early seating as the very late seating was just too late...........

I'm waiting for their return to see how everything worked out.....

This was a first experience with HAL (We are Princess cruisers) - I'm not happy about the preference given to "groups" as I'm reading on these boards........never have had that happen with 32 Princess cruises to date!

The upgrade sure was nice though......:D

We've always been "waitlisted," (even when we booked a full suite on the Maasdam) and we've always gotten our desired seating.

And the Maitre d' is always available on the day of boarding to deal with any changes.

HAL may be holding the late seatings for Europeans? Many Europeans will only cruise if they get the later seating. We've cruised 22 times and have never been waitlisted, but we prefer early seating.

The Euro is strong, and cruise lines understant this is where the market is growing.

For a person from Barcelona, 8:45 is "early" dinner, as they tend to eat at 10:00pm in the summer. HAL is trying to match cultural differences and protect their bottom line.

Kel

We always book at least 12 months out and we have always received confirmation of our dining times when we have received the confirmation of our booking with our deposit subtracted from the total price.

We do not go on the short cruises though and always choose a more exotic itinerary than the norm.

Jennie

We booked the Maasdam almost a year in advance and were confirmed for 6:15 on our documents, but when we got onboard our time said 8:00. We were upset at first but ended up liking this time very much and will request it from now on!

Booking that far in advance and being waitlisted is not good service. I blame T.A. They could have followed up with Hal and I believe you would not have had the concern....I do think you will get it sorted out, but I would talk to T.A. and let them know your dissapointment in the service. Happy sailing Alsas

This "policy" of HAL's is not the fault of your T/A.

Having said that, I think that it is unconscionable for HAL to waitlist a dining request, when the cruise reservation is booked nine months in advance of the sailing.

Rather that change T/A's, I might be inclined to shop around for another cruiseline!

Maybe HAL is waiting to get numbers for larger groups on some cruises, and is waiting to confirm their dining times first?

beth

Exactly. A large group will have clout and if all of their members want to dine at the same time, they will get preference.

Believe me, even if your dining time was "confirmed," a large group could easily bump you. It's happened. That's why I don't put any credence in "confirmed" times. Even those can change.

Of course, I'm lucky. Dining time really doesn't matter to me. I may have a preference ... and this will change by cruise (lots of ports, fewer ports), but it's not a deal breaker for me if I don't get the time I desire. As long as the food is good and plentiful, and the service is excellent ... I'm happy as a clam.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I am just going to let it go, at least for now. I did call HAL myself and they said that we would clear the wait list. I just wish the TA would have done that. Thanks again.

Archived