Danno's a traitor!!

Danno

For the next few years I have to restrict myself to 7 day cruises. While I much prefer 10 day intineraries, with travel time that becomes 12 days. I own a small business, so it's tough to leave for too long and be sure my clients are all kept happy.

So I hope to retire early (52-53), take 14 day cruises, and make up lost "time" then.

However, Jill and I both decided we would rather not cruise and stay on an island, if these were the only choices available from X.

Danno, the above is an interesting observation, because my DW and I have come to sort of the same conclusion for 2007. Our reasons are a little different, by December we will have taken seven cruises over a period of a little over two years and will just be cruised out.

However, our initial research for planning for next year is a little frustrating and confusing. All of the islands and resorts we have looked at in the Caribbean have mixed reviews and present some difficulty in getting to. If you and Jill are doing any research along these lines sure would hope that you and/or other posters would pass along what appeals to you as a destination.

With so few ships in its fleet, IMHO X is just stretched too thin, the result being limited choices and major holes in X itineraries at various times of the year. Add to that what appears to be fewer and fewer 10-, 12- and 14-night X cruises being offered each year - and the choices become even more limited. For loyal X cruisers, that translates to multiple times on the same ships (not so bad), lots of repeat itineraries (can start to wear thin), or jumping ship (no pun intended) to other lines. Hopefully the new ships on order will help the situation but those ships won't be out for a while. In the meantime, parent-company RCI just keeps minting new ships for RCCL.

Danno, the above is an interesting observation, because my DW and I have come to sort of the same conclusion for 2007. Our reasons are a little different, by December we will have taken seven cruises over a period of a little over two years and will just be cruised out.

I was the same a few years back when we had done three in less than a year. But the wife loves them and will never be cruised out.

Me I just cut back the number and upped the days at sea.

We are doing the Milleneum E. Caribbean cruise on Jan. 21. Yes, the itinerary is a big yawn. From our perspective, we don't care. Prolly will never leave the boat. It's about the cruise, and being treated famously, not about the ports of call, when we cruise in the dead of an Alaskan winter. For us, the big "excursion" will be to the Persian Gardens every morning.

If part of your reason for cruising this winter is the destinations, look around at HAL or Princess. If its about the cruise experience itself, go on the Milleneum and enjoy the X treatment.

Vanessa

Huh? Cruise ships don't even visit Alaska in the Winter, do they?

:D

No, Cruise ships don't visit Alaska in the winter, but ALASKANS (Like me) definitely visit cruise ships in the dead of an Alaskan winter. My point is I go for the warm weather, not the ports of call because I am from ALASKA, which is why my name is ALASKA BOO. Get it?

No, Cruise ships don't visit Alaska in the winter, but ALASKANS (Like me) definitely visit cruise ships in the dead of an Alaskan winter. My point is I go for the warm weather, not the ports of call because I am from ALASKA, which is why my name is ALASKA BOO. Get it?

Are there actually people that live in Alaska? I thought only cruise ships went up there? ;)

Oh wait... it must be the same people that just imposed taxes on cruise ships sailing in Alaskan waters... How dare you! :D

We are sailing on the Galaxy this March for 10 days and looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise.

Quick comment on HAL......we found the food to be outstanding on our cruise last spring aboard Westerdam. It was good on the Zaandam a couple of years ago but I found it much improved this past cruise as well as a marked improvement in service. Also, the room upgrades, (bedding, etc.) are fantastic.

Never found the service or onboard atmosphere stuffy.

For the next few years I have to restrict myself to 7 day cruises. While I much prefer 10 day intineraries, with travel time that becomes 12 days. I own a small business, so it's tough to leave for too long and be sure my clients are all kept happy.

So I hope to retire early (52-53), take 14 day cruises, and make up lost "time" then.

good plan buddy boy. right behind ya. actually right in front of ya

Dan, sorry you are finding it hard to book an X cruise. You need to get Quiet Resolve down to St Maarten or something. I have an ideaPonder.gif Sell the business, take off to the Caribbean and charter her out there. How's Jill at galley food for 8?:) I could be your first client!

Arno, that's the first I've seen of a Celebrity Cruises Commodores Club badge. Does that mean they let you drive the boat?;)

Hi Ed! Good to see you here too:)

Phil

Arno, that's the first I've seen of a Celebrity Cruises Commodores Club badge. Does that mean they let you drive the boat?

Phil

Hi Phil:

Sorry, it's a self-promotion that grants bragging rights only. It's amazing what computers can generate if one has time to waste.;) Membership in the club is open to all cruise-aholics dedicated to sailing the X fleet.:D

After booking the Summit to Hawaii recently I was able to have a short conversation with the X agent. She was so happy that they were getting two new ships to sell( Solstice and Equinox). She told me that people were not happy with the limited destinations that X had to offer. Apparently what we don't like the X people aren't happy with either. Hope these ships open up some new routings despite the chance that the Zenith will be gone soon and that leaves a net gain of one.

Hi Sky !

I am on that Constellation sailing. I booked it, because I am so tired of Millennium's 7 night itinerary. If it wasnt bad enough that Millennium's itinerary was never that great to begin with, Celebrity has chosen to keep it virtually unchanged the past few seasons. I just do not get it.

I am fine with Millennium doing 7 night Caribbean, but why cant they overhaul this itinerary, and do something different ?

Oh well, maybe in late 2008.

Hi Andy :)

I can understand the way you feel about Millennium's Caribbean Cruise since we took it once, and have no interest in taking it again.

Interestingly enough, I met someone on that cruise who takes it every year, but with a unique twist. He never gets off the ship and books spa treatments during port days. For him the cruise is essentially a floating spa vacation in a warm climate. When you consider how expensive land based spa resorts are, his idea makes a lot of sense.

After booking the Summit to Hawaii recently I was able to have a short conversation with the X agent. She was so happy that they were getting two new ships to sell( Solstice and Equinox). She told me that people were not happy with the limited destinations that X had to offer. Apparently what we don't like the X people aren't happy with either. Hope these ships open up some new routings despite the chance that the Zenith will be gone soon and that leaves a net gain of one.

Hi Florida Cruisers !

I am glad to hear that Celebrity is aware that many of us are not thrilled with some of the current itineraries.

Let's hope that when the new Solstice Class ships come online (FYI... there will be 3 new ships, not 2), there will be many new itineraries. Eventually, that should make us happier.

We're the opposite--looking at taking X or Princess because HAL doesn't have a good cruise for us this December. Fortunately, we've sailed on all three lines and don't have a strong preference for one. We enjoy whichever ship we're on.

Thanks everyone...just for those who may not know, I am a LONG time X cruiser, back to the Chandris days...so I'm not making this move easily, nor with any hard feelings.

Here is the Hal cruise I'm looking at...

Sunday-FLL

-Private Island

-At sea

-Aruba

-Curaceo

-At sea

-At sea

- FLL

Not port intensive and two islands I really want to see...X just has nothing even close...hopefully they will for the next season.

I'm expecting to have a great cruise where ever we go...but X is always like coming home.

Danno, you have a treat coming --- when a Holland America ships docks in Curacao, the locals do a fireworks display for the ship just as she leaves port --- a truly spectacular treat especially if you are fortunate enough to have a verandah on the side of the ship that is port side at the pier.

That is an excellent itinerary, with a lot of nice time on board at sea also. Go and have a great time. (As you can tell HAL has been my cruise line of choice for the last few years -- waiting to see about X as we leave for Bermuda in a week).

Hey Danno,

Saw you were looking at Feb 4th on Millie as a possibility. Good group of us going on the Jan 28th to Feb 4th cruise. Book then!!

Cya

Jeff

Hey, Bilgeboy, HI!!!

I suppose the Bingo Kid is going along also.

It would be a great time to cruise, but I am booked a month on either side of yours. Maybe we will meet again one day.

love

joan :cool::cool:

Archived