Receive a response from email on brownie riot

makeup face

spongerob,

Follow the advice to google it. We are dancing around our words so the poof fairy leaves us alone.;)

It was hideous behavior by young adults, not kids.:mad:

On second thought, and reading between the lines, I think I'll just choose to remain blissfully ignorant about this one. ;)

• Administrators

We're perfectly fine with the link to the video...it was NOT the video that caused threads to be removed.

It was the resulting sniping behavior between our members.

If you folks can discuss this issue -- the video and Princess' actions -- without directing your comments towards each other, then the thread will stay.

It really is as simple as that.

Laura

Can anyone explain to me what is actually going on in this video? I watched it but it was just a lot of blurry footage of people acting like drunk idiots and some guy going "yeeap yeeap yeeap" in the background. Did I miss something essential here? I'm not saying that I agree with the rude and inexcusable behavior I saw, but from the sounds of things I expected something much, much worse.

Dylaness

I kind of agree with your thoughts too. I saw a bunch of young adults (OK maybe some underage too), acting like young adults many times do when given some freedom.

I do think what was going on INSIDE the ship was over the top. Way too much partying that would undoubtedly bother many inside the ship.

But once they went outside things seemed to calm down a bit and they obvioulsy were letting off steam. I did not see all of them doing this, there may have been 5 or less who seemed to be doing most of the noise. Many of the others were just sitting around.

In my opinion the inside stuff should have been quelled a lot sooner than it was.

I give the few Youth Security employees credit for doing their best. What I am concerned with is why there were not more security called in once they saw things escalating. They could have broken up the large group.

Maybe I missed something that others can see in the video.

Yeah, all I got out of watching the video was that they were being noisy and roudy. I didn't notice anything especially lewd, altho I did skip forward a few seconds every now and then. But only cuz they were just being stupid and noisy. Nothing especially shocking, other than it being at 3am.

I was more surprised at the lack of response from the few adults there. I saw some elderly gentleman just sitting in a chair, relaxed, watching the young people act like idiots. That youth security guy didn't seem to do much either. I think there was a lady in an officer's uniform, but some kid seemed to be flirting with her and nothing happened there. Princess should have had security down there and then started banning those people afterwards.

sorry, just had to chime in with what CODEX noticed,

yeah that guy sitting in the chair.

Do you really think he read anything in that book he was trying.

Too funny, I can't read a paragraph when there are distractions and this guy 'looks' like he's reading a whole book. I think he was enjoying the distractions. I think he sat through the Brownie incident too, not sure.

I do not think it would have been a good idea for him to get involved.

I'm sure this happens on more ships/cruise lines than you'd care to know, but this time someone actual taped the whole thing. The power of the internet is unbelievable.

One thing we have to remember (and I’ll admit after about two minutes of video of screaming kids, I didn’t watch the rest) is that the video was taken and probably edited by one of the group. Who knows what actions Princess might have taken that didn’t end up in the “finished product.”

I will say that when I was a young adult and given some freedom, I NEVER acted like that.

I returned from the Crown a few weeks ago and I must say, there was a lot of this type of behavior that occured that week as well. It may have been less in magnatude but it did occur.

My 17 year old son made some "friends" in the teen club that week. Fortunately, I have a very unusual 17 year old who has very good judgement. Other teens he had met spent most of their nights getting drunk and behaving like idiots. It got so out of control that he refused to spend any more time with them and wound up staying with his family for the last few days of the cruise. For that I am thankful! He also reported that the youth security officers were laughing at them, finding the entire drinking thing funny. I was totally disgusted by this.

It doesn't really matter how old these "children" are in the video. I think its terrible that Princess didn't take control of the situation.

I made it to the 15 minute point in the video before seeing enough.

Yes, they were young adults acting like idiots.

Yes, I too would have been displeased if at 3am I was disturbed by their behavior.

Yes, parents should be completely responsible if they bring/send kids on a cruise.

Yes, princess security could have been better.

But, like other posters have noticed there were older "parental" and "grandparental" type people caught in the video. Although our young videographer was not aiming to capture them, if you watch carefully he did. Besides the older man in the chair, there are a few couples, as well as green shirt lady who is actually picking up browines as well as speaking with crew. It is arguable that she is trying to defend a few of the participants, but with only fleeting glimpses you really don't know.

Hopefully, Princess will improve from this and the young adults will grow up but it is doubtful the parents will improve unless they are the ones to suffer the consequences.

That was a totally disingenuous reply from Princess.

Those were not "kids". They were young adults and they took over the ship.

I absolutely agree with the above statement. These were not children, they were young adults. The absolute lack of security and authority that was demonstrated by Princess is awful. I frankly doubt their ability to manage crowds and security after viewing this episode that took place. To blame it on parents is a lame excuse for their lack of ability to control the situation.

:mad:

I absolutely agree with the above statement. These were not children, they were young adults. The absolute lack of security and authority that was demonstrated by Princess is awful. I frankly doubt their ability to manage crowds and security after viewing this episode that took place. To blame it on parents is a lame excuse for their lack of ability to control the situation.

:mad:

It's a parent responsilbility to raise responsible children...it all starts at home.

And if your child was acting like those kids in the video who's to blame.... your parenting skills or Princess Cruiselines...think about it:rolleyes:

Cruzin2pariadise,

You need to take a closer look at this video. These were not kids! They were young adults between 18 and 23, 24 years old! Nor would I say that I am naive. I have children and they are 9, 24, and 26 years old and I have seen just about everything that kids can do. I am fully aware of what parents go through today. I can't disagree with you that sometimes parents do not know what happens after they are a sleep or where their children are. But that is another matter all together. The matter at hand is the response from security personal on this boat. This is about their response to, or lack of, that is the issue here.

And yes, I have "cruised" with family members, 53 of them.

I did look at the video - as much as I could stomach. I found your comments to be way too generalized. Nobody here can say these young "people" were with or without parentals and we all know that. I just didn't agree with your generalizations. I made my opinion, however, as someone reading your opinion, I felt it sounded as if you were naive. Just my opinion. And, not to be rude, but just because you have kids means no more than if I have kids. It's how you parent them (and I don't mean you personally, it is how any of us parent them).

Princess should have jumped in very quickly during this nonsense - there is no doubt. But to assume that there were no parents I think was silly, because more often than not, there are parents and they are too busy doing "their thing." And we all know that -- and I can give you all an example -- I was already married and out of the house, and my parents took my sister & brother on a cruise . . . I believe my brother was about 15 years old (this was 15 years ago) and guess what, they allowed him to do what he wanted, he got drunk and very sick -- am I disappointed in my parents? Absolutely! I thought they had more sense than that, but evidently I was wrong. Will I let my kids do that - absolutely NOT.

Brunosr - all I meant, again, was that you were generalizing wayyyyyy too much and if I offended you by saying I thought you were naive, then I apologize.

I've watched the video several times. I believe there are more security people there than you realize. You can see several yellow t-shirted teen security personnel, both a male and female white shirted officer and a green shirted staff person. I would tend to believe there were more security hanging back. I think they did what was best given the circumstances at the time. To press matters, and physically start removing part of that group would have only served to worsen matters. Instead, with the exception of the first five minutes, I think security stood back and let their presence be known to quell the group. And although they remained vocal, they quit throwing brownies or being destructive. Moved on to the pool deck, where they were greeted by more security, and slowly calmed down and dispersed. Not much of a riot when you come right down to it. I was at Briggs Stadium in 1984 when the Tigers won the pennant....that was a riot:)

I was going to ask how it became known as the Brownie riot, since I wasn't within 1000 miles of this ship, I swear...lol! However, TourneyKit answered my question.

From what I could see of the video, it looked like a rowdy fraternity party, or something very much akin to it. This kind of thing is a sticky wicket either way. When you're dealing with drunk kids, things can get nasty if security tries to clamp down, which can result in violence, or things can get out of hand if not supervised, which can result in injuries. Either way, the situation can go bad very quickly.

I couldn't watch the video because it kept skipping. However, is the old guy just a passenger? I might have watched it and laughed or left, depending how bad it was! I don't think it would have been a good idea for regular old passengers to get in the middle, would it?

Aside from getting a response from princess, i'm glad we now know why my original post of the video was removed. I was hoping for a response but didn't want to repost because I didn't know the nature of removal.

as far as the video is concerned, it disgusted me when i found it which is why i originally posted it. Granted it was the last night of the cruise, but if that had happened on my 7/2 sailing, I would have been very upset that the security did nothing to quell the madness. On my cruise, I spent a lot of time in the atrium in the late hours because it was a relaxing atmosphere and as the nicest area of the ship. To see those "young adults" behaving that way on what for many was a $1500+ cruise was simply unacceptable and should have been extinguished quickly whether it be the first or last day.

She assured me that measures have been taken....I quote "Please be assured that the safety and security of our passengers remains our first priority. As such actions have been taken by all on board staff, including Youth Security, in order to prevent such a situation from reoccurring".

This certainly sounds more like a marketing reply than anything serious being done, sorry, JMHO.

I'm sure if you decided to, you could stage another brownie riot on the Crown's next sailing with about the same response.

Cheers,

Peter

As a ex employee of a cruise company, i cant believe how lax Princess were with this.

Our responce would have been clear. Ship whould have diverted to next nearest port and those involved and any family travelling with them would have been handed over to local authorities. We would then have charged the cost (including any compensation we paid to remaining passengers) to the individuals concerned.

I am only aware of one incident that caused a ship to do this action, involving a family who would get very drunk and abusive. I belive they faced a bill from us of £20,000 ($40,000).

As a ex employee of a cruise company, i cant believe how lax Princess were with this.

Our responce would have been clear. Ship whould have diverted to next nearest port and those involved and any family travelling with them would have been handed over to local authorities. We would then have charged the cost (including any compensation we paid to remaining passengers) to the individuals concerned.

I am only aware of one incident that caused a ship to do this action, involving a family who would get very drunk and abusive. I belive they faced a bill from us of £20,000 ($40,000).

this was the last night of the cruise and they were only a couple of hours from their home port.

Archived