Rasul = 50 ways to embarrass yourself

jennew

We did a Rasul years ago on the Celebrity Zenith, and had researched it on these boards before we left. Thought it could be a nice romantic time for me and DH on a family cruise. NOT!!

The entire time I thought the same thing as Jen...........WHO could possibly do anything like that during this?

DH and I laughed thru the entire thing, but it was fun and I thought it was a bargain. All those exotic spa products!!

• 2 months later...

[snip]

At first it was going well. We exfoliated. We showered. We spread the greenish mud stuff all over each other. I was thinking about how people have suggested that (ahem) other things...happen in the rasul....and wondering if this was before or after you remove the mud...cause frankly, that could get messy.....

So...we stepped into the steam area. There was no steam. Dh steps out and presses the button on the wall that says "Steam on"....the button FELL OFF the wall..:eek: ...DH is a mechanical designer so he is sure he can re-assemble this thing...he sets to work.....it takes several minutes...we are naked...covered in green mud....and can't really yell for help.

Eventually he manages to get the steam to work. Now the entire wall area and the button contraption, are covered with green mud handprints.

We settle into the steam room and quickly realize there is not a good way to get comfortable. The whole room is tile, the benches are built into the wall, the wall is straight up and down. There is no way to recline.

I am once again thinking "people get freaky in HERE?? HOW???" With all the tile, and the steam....seems that you could slip and kill yourself....or at least chip a tooth or something...So...for all you guys who have managed such a thing, God bless ya.

All of the sudden an ALARM starts going off. BLARF BLARF BLARF .... We have no idea what to do...and then a woman from the spa BURSTS into the room...we were are naked...covered in green mud....and she tells us "shut off the alarm"....we had not touched the alarm... we tried to shut it off, but we got nowhere.

Holy Crap! :eek: Can you spell Déjà vu ?

I was reading your thread and the whole time my mouth was hanging open. (FYI... I'm taking the liberty of using my wife’s ID to respond to your post… i.e., to give a mans point of view)

My wife scheduled us for the Rasul as well. Let me just say that our experience “word-for-word” was "IDENTICAL" in every aspect to your experience except for one small thing... in our case the Steam On button didn’t fall off. Other than that, our experience was the same. From the “getting freaky" discussions, to the no steam in the steam room problem, to the alarm going off. etc. (I’ll get back to the alarm issue later on.)

Oh yes… I should also mention that you can’t lock the door to the Rasul room! (at least not on the Caribbean Princess). Our cruise was from April13th 2008 thru the 20th.

Anyway... our attendant told us the lock has never worked and we should just prop a chair against the door. Ah yes… thank you , that makes me feel completely comfortable. Standing totally naked in a room 5 feet from a door held closed by a plastic chair anybody could push aside if they opened the door by accident. “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know there were naked people in here”

Anyway… on the a more serious subject… As I mention earlier, I’m a guy, so I feel the need to address the getting freaky issue.:rolleyes: Do I think people get freaky in the Rasul room? Absolutely! (No... we didn't... but I’m sure people do.)

Please except my apology in advance but in reading your thread all I can only assume is you are no longer in your 20’s or early 30’s. Neither are we. My wife and I said goodbye to our 30’s and 40’s many years ago.

That said, I can still remember the good old days of our younger years. (i.e., the back seat of a car, on the kitchen floor, etc) … hopefully you have similar memories. Although those days are behind me I can still think like a 20 year old. Think about it… the Rasul room is private, and if a couple in the room is young and they are attracted to each other, and still active (if you know what I mean) … you are naked… smearing mud all over each other… there’s a cozy shower to rinse “each other” off with… the warm slippery “bench” in the steam room, hmmm…

Okay… Snap out of it! Back to reality! [sigh]

Anyway… our appointment time eventually arrived and it was our turn in the Rasul room. We were really looking forward to it. After the attendant gave us our instructions and left… my wife and I got naked!. We did the all the exfoliants, lotions, toners etc… and eventually started smearing the mud on each other. We couldn’t help but laugh during the experience. I’m afraid our bodies are no longer the tight young things they used to be. I’m afraid that our bodies now harbor extra folds of aging skin. In a way… we both had to admit … it was almost too intimate. (too much information). Sure my wife and I still get intimate now and then but not in an atmosphere like the Rasul room standing under bright halogen lights that highlights every defect on your body while having to look at every square inch of flesh as you smear the mud on each other. (Yikes… and we thought this was going to put us both in the mood… :p )

We also discussed the stories of people getting freaky. As to the dry flaky mud, once in the steam room (once it was working) the mud got all slippery again so I (if I was 30 again) I personally wouldn’t worry about the mud flaking (heck I probaly wouldn't worry if it did flake) …however … I couldn’t help but wonder about the fact that the mud was mentholated and wondered what kind of “discomfort” the mud might cause if you got some in you eye… (ahem :rolleyes:) . Ouch!

As to the alarm going off… we also were not touching anything when it went off. We sat they for a minute then decided to get up and put our robes on. It was about then the attendant came knocking on the door so we let her in and she shut it off. She them apologized and said she was sorry…but the Rasul room had a problem in that the steam from the steam room sets off the smoke alarm. She actually said “Don’t worry… it happens all the time”

Personally… I wouldn’t recommend the Rasul. I would recommend the Couple Ultimate Thermal Spa package but forget the Rasul. Like you we had no steam in the steam room although the attendant said she had it turned on. Like your husband I mashed the button and the steam eventually came on… but we lost 10 minutes or so waiting for the room to heat up. Also… my wife and I agreed it would have been much more relaxing to have been able to lie down while smearing the mud. For us, standing in the middle of a small room, that is nothing more than a fancy bathroom was not very relaxing. Then… add to that … at the end of the mud session and the steam THE ALARM GOES OFF…YOUR HEART RACES (for the wrong reasons) THE ATTENDANT COMES IN etc… Lets just say for an hour that was supposed to be relaxing it was anything but at the end. It did not end on a high note.

Two days later my wife and I were sunning ourselves at the small pool outside the spa area… and all of a sudden… BLARF ..BLARF ..BLARF .. we hear the alarm go off in the Rasul room. We looked at each other and said… “And yet another couples relaxing hour comes to an abrupt end”

At the end of the cruise I completed a Suggestion and Comments card… basically I complained about the Rasul room, primarily the fire alarm and how the staff has grown ambivalent to it. I’d hate to think what would happen if an actual fire broke out.

One final note... in rethinking my suggestion of putting a massage table in the Rasul room... considering the rumors that already circulate, adding a bed in there might not be such a good idea. After all... the tile benches can be hosed off. :D

• 3 months later...

We did it on our third cruise a couple of years ago and although didn't have the alarm problem, it really didn't live up to what we expected from it. Save your money and enjoy the laughs here on CC from those of us who gave it a shot.

Yikes!

We had a similar (alarm-less and broken button-less, though) experience when we did this on the CB in 12/05. Our misfortune/mishap was that the shower door (curtain? can't remember now) kept leaking and we couldn't help but flood the bathroom as we rinsed off green mud. Same problem with no steam in the steam room although eventually some did show up... I was kind of grossed out by the experience because the room and shower really weren't very clean and that shower is really small.

We ended up having to use the leftover towels to mop up all the water on the floor and it still was wet when we left. What a mess!

As for people being "active" in the steam room... :D I simply can't even IMAGINE what you're talking about! Hee hee hee.

Why bring up a 2 year old post ?

Why not? They are still offering this service, and it appears to not have been improved. After reading all the posts I have cancelled our Rasul reservation. We did this on the Disney cruise (of all things!) and although I wasn't too thrilled with the incredible amount of steam (where I thought I was going to drown), it was a really nice, relaxing hour my husband and I spent together. I really don't want to be more tense coming out than I was going in. We'll enjoy some other spa treatments instead.

I for one thank you for bringing up this old post. I missed it the first time around and have had a good laugh reading it.:D

I was a bit curious about the rasul experience and wondered if it was something we should try. Thanks to this thread, I am no longer curious about it and I am ever so appreciative that others have tried it and shared their experiences. :eek: Now we don't have to spend the $$ to find out whether or not rasul is for us.

Why bring up a 2 year old post ?

Because it is the funniest thing I have ever read here!

But this is how stupid I am. I read this a year ago and laughed so hard, but I still thought this would be fun. We booked this and didn't have any room malfunctions, but....

My husband not one for spas and such got off to a poor start when they wouldn't give him his own locker as they ran out. The attendant said he could just come out and give me his clothes to stow in the women's lockeroom. Then he got a robe with no ties to it. I was waiting in the spa lounge area and he was back in the hall in his little white robe with no ties waiting for me there.

On to the rasul... Well it was a small wet room with a few bowls of mud. We lasted about 5 minutes. Realized what idiots we were to have signed up. Embarrassingly snuck out, stopped at the desk to pay our $98 and headed back to the privacy of our cabin to laugh hysterically at ourselves.

Archived